Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 12:34 AM

148 posts, read 103,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Dur everyone is being lumped together by race, Jews, Middle Easterners, North Africans and Europeans are lumped together, E, SE and S Asians are lumped together. That's how race based AA works by identified racial/ethnic groups. But these Asians groups know who they are themselves primarily E Asian and Chinese.

it's all how you define discrimination. Liberals and the government define discrimination when there's a "disparate impact" or underrepresentation (unless whites are the ones underrepresented). Asians are overrepresented. So what is the solution? Admit more Asian and let whites beat out most all of the lower scoring Hispanics and blacks? I suspect the Asians are advocating rewarding merit for Asians and AA for non-whites, squeezing whites out of the middle.
Yes merit based alone. Why is that concept so strange? If you have 200 slots to fill and all 200 are filled up by asians because they had he highest test scores, then they won those seats fairly. If you change the rules because you think all yellow skin people is some sort of a problem, and it results in people being discirmianted against based on their skin color, you have done something wrong.

two wrong don't make a right. Am I really the only one who believes this? You can't make up for years of discrimination by trying to balance it out with new types of discrimination.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:38 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This is pretty interesting . Wonder what will happen with this probe.

--
(CNN) Harvard College's admitted freshmen last year became the first class in the school's multi-century history comprised of mostly nonwhite students.

And again, for the second year in a row, the majority of students invited to attend the prestigious college this year identify as ethnic minorities.

Neither this year's class nor last year's made many headlines when the college initially released the data. But with the Department of Justice now investigating a discrimination complaint against the school, Harvard and its diverse array of students have been thrust into the national spotlight.

The complaint in question was filed by a coalition of 64 Asian-American associations in May 2015, DOJ spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores said in a statement. The case rolled over from President Barack Obama's administration.

Harvard faces DOJ discrimination probe while accepting mostly nonwhite class - CNN.com
i thought harvard is full of jews.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:41 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,555 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it wasn't. Read the CNN article in the OP to see how you were duped into believing that.
I never argued that it was the right reasoning(so i wasnt duped as you say.) I only stated that it was the topic.

So even if you want to argue that "people got it wrong" , that doesnt change the fact that they were talking about the wrong thing.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:57 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18436572 View Post
Yes merit based alone. Why is that concept so strange? If you have 200 slots to fill and all 200 are filled up by asians because they had he highest test scores, then they won those seats fairly. If you change the rules because you think all yellow skin people is some sort of a problem, and it results in people being discirmianted against based on their skin color, you have done something wrong.

two wrong don't make a right. Am I really the only one who believes this? You can't make up for years of discrimination by trying to balance it out with new types of discrimination.
Well whites have been giving up positions for generations and decades due to affirmative action. You can advocate to end all affirmative action, but the legislature, judicial branch and liberals are not going to allow non-whites to lose out. I want to drastically reduce immigration and make it non-demographic changing and that would help less problems like this one, but they're all against that too.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:58 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'll say the same exact thing to the Asian Americans in on this lawsuit. Get over it. I know whites AND Asian Americans are used to being the pretty girls in the room but that's changing and I'm glad for it.
I am an Asian American, Southern, Republican and your argument seems more and more flawed. As someone of Asian descent not even my ancestors were responsible for slavery, yet we have to suffer unfair treatment in affirmative action so less qualified blacks and Hispanics (who were never slaves though the left and ethnics say America is responsible for Latin America's poverty). We still have to see our middle class communities which we've worked hard to be able to live in flooded with Section 8 ghetto residents and illegal immigrants. Our families came here LEGALLY yet we pay taxes to support ILLEGAL Mexicans who sneak into our country, take our jobs, utilize our social services and commit crime and bring drugs into our country. I also have to suffer from Obamacare which was designed as a form of reparation from middle class (mostly white) America to blacks and Hispanics over slavery. Obamacare was designed by Obama as a redistribution of resources from white and Asian Americans who are mostly middle class to the black and Hispanic communities.

I wonder if many black Medicaid and Obamacare recipients get some kind of kick out of it like "the white man is paying for me now" or "in the past we were slaves and worked for you for free, now its our turn to get things for free and you must give it to us". Same with Mexicans who blame their country's ills on the U.S., coming here, getting benefits and Medicaid and feeling a sense of triumph that they now get to take from America and have Americans work harder and harder just to have our taxes and our health care resources redistributed to them as they come illegally. I'm increasingly convinced that most Mexicans have a hatred of the United States and seem a sense of vindication in abusing our system.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:32 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Quote:
This is pretty interesting . Wonder what will happen with this probe.

--
(CNN) Harvard College's admitted freshmen last year became the first class in the school's multi-century history comprised of mostly nonwhite students.

And again, for the second year in a row, the majority of students invited to attend the prestigious college this year identify as ethnic minorities.

Neither this year's class nor last year's made many headlines when the college initially released the data. But with the Department of Justice now investigating a discrimination complaint against the school, Harvard and its diverse array of students have been thrust into the national spotlight.

The complaint in question was filed by a coalition of 64 Asian-American associations in May 2015, DOJ spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores said in a statement. The case rolled over from President Barack Obama's administration.

Harvard faces DOJ discrimination probe while accepting mostly nonwhite class - CNN.com
the discrimination against Asians in the Ivy League is stunning. In one is going solely on academic power and academic potential, heir enrollment #s should be more than double

Old 08-04-2017, 01:36 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
the discrimination against Asians in the Ivy League is stunning. In one is going solely on academic power and academic potential, heir enrollment #s should be more than double
Asians are probably the only people in the Ivy Leagues who really earned their place there. With the political correctness and affirmative action, the only whites that get in are the ones with legacy, or else even if they are more qualified they must give up their spot to a black or Hispanic. There are many whites who deserve to get in but for diversity sake there is enough white legacy students so the qualified spots go to Asians. Both groups lose spots to less qualified blacks and Hispanics.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:42 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
If anyone actually thought the current freshman class was actually the best nobody would care, but we've been watching standards get lowered every time there is a social uprising for any class of people. Whether it be lower physical standards for women or lower academic standards for "underrepresented" groups of people we all know it's happening. If we hadn't been seeing it for decades this wouldn't be an issue but we have, and we all now wonder how low Harvard has set their academic standards in order to get the diversity they crave so much. And people like me also wonder what next year's crazy college students are going to scream and shout about because they aren't mentally prepared to deal with the situation they are in. It's all coming to a head with or without Trump and it has been for a long time now.

Even IF this frosh class is the best of the best it would be hard for anyone to believe because of history.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:49 AM

397 posts, read 319,588 times
Asians used to make up a MUCH larger percentage of Harvard students. Considering that their population has gone UP since then, and it's not like their academic achievement is going down, it looks like they're being penalized. The black percentage at the same time is also MUCH higher. Yet the black population is about the same as it used to be, and I haven't seen any evidence that their test scores have greatly improved. It suggests that either they're being given more preference in admissions than they used to, or a disproportionate amount of top black students are concentrating on applying and accepting at Harvard, or a combination of both.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:34 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Used to being the pretty girls ? What exactly do you mean by that ?
I mean that Asian Americans are typically seen as the smartest ones in the room. They've, rightfully, had an edge in higher education for a long time. Now that other minorities are doing the same, it seems some people don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies