Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2017, 06:15 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times

Advertisements

I don't, but my housemate has a shotgun. She has never used it, and honestly, I think she needs to either get rid of it or get me lessons in shooting. No disrespect, but her hands are not too steady anymore, nor are her strength and balance good. I don't mind the fact that it is here, I just am not sure she could use it effectively, and that's not a good thing. As things are now, as a means of home defense, it's useless. (And frankly, IMO, unnecessary.)

I would love to learn to hunt, though (healthier than factory farmed meat, and also probably kinder), and wouldn't mind having a snake pistol, either. We have lots of copperheads here.

I'm a liberal Democrat, BTW.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 08-05-2017 at 07:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 06:15 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
The most justifiable self-defense shooting will still likely run up five figures in legal bills.
He doesn't wanna shoot anybody, just don't break into his house.
BTW, we're oh so impressed that you don't need a gun to fend off attackers.
You cannot be sued in some states.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Weather I own guns or other weapons or not is none of your business.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:59 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Noted as well. Looks nice. Thanks.
870 is good.
Mossberg 590 tactical is pretty good especially with the removable stock and breacher muzzle device.
Ithaca 37s are great. Slam fire king. Hold that trigger down and as fast as you can row the slide the fast it can shoot.

Keltec KSG for purely home defense purposes. Bees knees.

Bull pup design and breaks down easy. With it being bullpup design, you retain the length of the barrel but a reduced overall length.

And it's actually a good gun

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I7c8Mb...ature=youtu.be

Some people talk crap on them, that's the only keltec I would recommend...

Old 08-05-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I don't, but my housemate has a shotgun. She has never used it, and honestly, I think she needs to either get rid of it or get me lessons in shooting. No disrespect, but her hands are not too steady anymore, nor are her strength and balance good. I don't mind the fact that it is here, I just am not sure she could use it effectively, and that's not a good thing. As things are now, as a means of home defense, it's useless. (And frankly, IMO, unnecessary.)

I would love to learn to hunt, though (healthier than factory farmed meat, and also probably kinder), and wouldn't mind having a snake pistol, either. We have lots of copperheads here.

I'm a liberal Democrat, BTW.
Start with a 22 rifle. Work your way to a 410 to a 20 gauge to a 12 gauge.

Firearms are machines no different than a car. You don't put someone 16 who's just got their permit and has video games for expirience in a corvette. I've worked both my sister and 70 year old mother up from 22s to 12 gauges for shotguns. As well as from 22s to 308 chambered rifles. I wouldn't put either behind the 338 lapua or 300 win mag. My know it all brother in law, yeah. Was hilarious seeing him get scope bite and a massive black eye

ARs are good to start out with too.
Very little recoil. Easy to break down clean and lube. Local gun stores have entry level AR carbines as low as 480. There's the bushmaster qrc with a red dot, a DPMS oracle, Ruger AR556 all sub 500 dollars locally. Price of ammo has come down since Trump took office.

Pistols depending on budget and size of your hand can't go wrong with Glock retains value and are sought after. You never see a used glock in a pawnshop down here. They sell like hotcakes.
Remington has 100 dollar rebates on their 1911...

Hunting takes patience and good aim.
I used to bag deer turkey and rabbits.
If you go for deer and do not have a quad to get it back, better not skip leg day at the gym, and do not take one in a valley where you have to hike uphill.
200 pound bucks are 200 pounds of literal dead weight. Trudging through 3 feet of snow dressed in layers will have you working up a sweat in 50 paces.
Better have a good stomach for gore, especially when it comes to dressing the animal.
I taught an ex how to hunt, once she passed Hunters safety course, I built her a 308 AR... girl could knock the eyes out of a bee with it. She took her first deer with that rifle too...

Venison is very lean and has a great taste. Rabbits have a sweet taste. Turkeys have a bit of a gamey taste to them, but a brine helps big time. They're not as gamey as a duck, the worst is geese... I never had pheasant or grouse. I rarely took mallards or pheasants. Pheasants and mallards are too beautiful to bag in my eyes.
Hogs. Oh boy. I went once that was the most fun I ever had hunting. Shooting suppressed can take multiple. And it's encouraged since they're a scourge to farmers and citrus groves, wound one and it will charge you. Better be handy with a knife or pistol.

I always wanted to make it to elk country and take an elk.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:33 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
........ARs are good to start out with too.
Very little recoil......
Depends on the AR.

Firing the -10 and it is WHOMP!

It's better than sex!

Old 08-05-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Depends on the AR.

It's better than sex!
5.56 nothing.
300 black bit more than 5.56 not by much.
6.5 Grendel not much.
6.5 Creedmoor/6.8 a bit more
308, compared to 308 bolt guns there's less. Especially with the right brake and an adjustable gas block. The DPMS I built that the ex, had very little recoil for 308.
6 position GL shock stock 20 inch barrel I can't remember who's adjustable block I used or what brake I had on it. Had less recoil than an M1A...
Factory 308s have kick. Just like 16 inch 5.56 carbines, they too are over gassed right out of the box. But they do that for a reason. End user skips cleaning the gas tube upper and BCG they won't cycle properly. Especially when shooting dirty ammo...

I run 193/855 only at the range, when I want supreme accuracy either IMG 69/77 razor core or Black Hills MK262. I don't run 223 in ARs. Mini14s sure, if its chambered for 556 I'll run 556 over 223.
I won't run wolf tula Fiochhi or PPU 223. PPU NATO loads ok.
Not a fan of steel cased cartridges. It doesn't expand like brass in the chamber, doesn't form a good seal when expanding.
I'll run that steel cased crap in AKs and SKS all day though, they eat anything. They're not picky. 7.62x39 brass needs to come down in price. I'd shoot brass exclusively to reload later.
Even in pistols I won't run anything but brass.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's much easier to kill a deer with a gun than my bare hands.

A bow works too.

Oh, you don't know what fun is, until you bail form a tree onto the back of a deer, with your Bowie Knife.
Hogs too.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:02 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Depends on the AR.

It's better than sex!
I might have to disagree with this! LOL. Maybe a close second.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:04 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
5.56 nothing.
300 black bit more than 5.56 not by much.
6.5 Grendel not much.
6.5 Creedmoor/6.8 a bit more
308, compared to 308 bolt guns there's less. Especially with the right brake and an adjustable gas block. The DPMS I built that the ex, had very little recoil for 308.
6 position GL shock stock 20 inch barrel I can't remember who's adjustable block I used or what brake I had on it. Had less recoil than an M1A...
Factory 308s have kick. Just like 16 inch 5.56 carbines, they too are over gassed right out of the box. But they do that for a reason. End user skips cleaning the gas tube upper and BCG they won't cycle properly. Especially when shooting dirty ammo...

I run 193/855 only at the range, when I want supreme accuracy either IMG 69/77 razor core or Black Hills MK262. I don't run 223 in ARs. Mini14s sure, if its chambered for 556 I'll run 556 over 223.
I won't run wolf tula Fiochhi or PPU 223. PPU NATO loads ok.
Not a fan of steel cased cartridges. It doesn't expand like brass in the chamber, doesn't form a good seal when expanding.
I'll run that steel cased crap in AKs and SKS all day though, they eat anything. They're not picky. 7.62x39 brass needs to come down in price. I'd shoot brass exclusively to reload later.
Even in pistols I won't run anything but brass.

The 308's I build, on the AR-10 platform, have less recoil than my 10/22 Ruger.
You should see the 30.06 prototype!!!!!! Puts my BAR's to shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies