Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 09:26 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,514,737 times

Advertisements

I do own several firearms, most people don't know that I do, I'm very low key about it. I get enjoyment going to a range to sharpen my marksmanship, it's very personal time where I'm focused on shooting and improving my abilities, no different than someone practicing a golf swing. I do hold a CC permit, but I never carry, the liability is too high and I pay attention to my surroundings and practice awareness for generally staying out of trouble. My stance on personal protection in and around my home, I own a .45 just in case, but that's a last resort, I have no desire to kill someone, if they want to steal something I own, that's what I have insurance for and I'm not going to kill for the sake of a TV or cell phone that's only worth a few hundred dollars. But if you threaten me or my family's lives, I'll pull the trigger and deal with the consequences later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 09:28 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,448,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Yes? No? Why? Why not?
Yes, I own several of them. I like to shoot. I also like to have one in case I need to defend myself, or my family.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:33 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,085,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
it's always good to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Amen to that, Mike!

Old 08-04-2017, 09:37 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,579,262 times
Quote:
Yes? No? Why? Why not?
Not yet. My wife and I are going to go to classes before we buy one. Once we are educated more we will teach our daughter about guns and gun safety.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:41 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,040,819 times
Quote:
I'm curious as to why I've seen people mention needing more protection in rural areas ?
I am guessing the statistics show much less crime per capita in rural areas, especially violent crimes, but it does make sense that the sense of needing self protection is MORE in a rural area vs urban. You are isolated, even if you can see your neighbor's house you might not be able to see or hear what really is going on. In an urban environment, your neighbor in theory could literally see and hear you if you are in trouble. And as mentioned, the response time. I am amazed to hear even in somewhat more developed urban areas(lets say there local town has a population of 10,000) it can still take the Sheriff's department over 20minutes to respond to an emergency to the furthest parts.

Also the culture. Stats aside, rural folks have a more "I take care of myself and protect my family" mindset vs a urbanite's mind "the local police is here to protect me".

So not necessarily needing more protection, just a sense of needing to take protection into their own hands.

I own lots of firearms, lots is relative, an anti-firearm liberal would probably call me a terrorist if they saw my safe and ammo storage. A pro-2nd amendment conservative would call me a rookie. It started off for fun, it is a really really fun sport. I have not gotten into competitive shooting, I started way too late in life, but I think my son will get into it, but boys also change their favorite sport. One thing that is kind of funny, is that it is YOUNG GIRLS who are taking over the firearm sport. Something about girls, the more athletic females seem to be naturally good shooters, both standing and on the run. It is funny to me because it sort of defeats stereotypes(boys are better at sports, girls are more likely to be liberal(anti gun). My prediction, in a few decades girls will be winning shooting sports.

For anyone thinking about purchasing firearms, right now the prices are crazy cheap. Of course that shouldn't be the only factor in deciding but just an fyi. It might be motivation for you to make the decision or decide it is not for you. AR15s are rock bottom priced, the market is flooded. I don't think the prices will stay this low, even with Republicans in Congress and Senate. The manufacturers will cut back production and supply will meet the new low demand, this of course is a prediction but most professionals in the gun industry strongly believe this. Ammo prices are rock bottom as well.

Last edited by peequi; 08-04-2017 at 09:52 AM..

Old 08-04-2017, 09:43 AM

35,495 posts, read 20,860,187 times
I do -- loaded but -very locked up ( I have young grands )

Old 08-04-2017, 09:44 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,199,787 times
No. Have lived in NYC, Miami and alone in the mountains of New Mexico, traveled by car all over the country and Europe and never had or felt the need for one. Plan on retiring to a country where there are limited or no guns and no gun culture.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:51 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,979,266 times
Quote:
Yes? No? Why? Why not?
No. I have never had the desire or need to own one, and don't foresee ever having the desire or need. Same as a lot of other things useless to me. Like a sewing machine, scuba tank, cat litter box, bowling ball, etc.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:52 AM

35,495 posts, read 20,860,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
No. Have lived in NYC, Miami and alone in the mountains of New Mexico, traveled by car all over the country and Europe and never had or felt the need for one. Plan on retiring to a country where there are limited or no guns and no gun culture.

I hope to move to Belize or Panama even Nicaragua- the gun was a gift- and would only use- if it really got crazy like a zombie apocalypse -
... so far never has - from Miami to NY- west to Ca south to Panama never felt need to have one- but I keep it

Old 08-04-2017, 10:40 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,199,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I hope to move to Belize or Panama even Nicaragua- the gun was a gift- and would only use- if it really got crazy like a zombie apocalypse -
... so far never has - from Miami to NY- west to Ca south to Panama never felt need to have one- but I keep it
Well we're sort of having a zombie apocalypse now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies