Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 09:48 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If Asians keep making an issue of this, and I have no doubt that they will... Harvard's name will get dragged through the mud as the race-based discriminators that they are. Everyone will presume that a Harvard degree is an AA degree for everyone but Asians and Whites.
Yeah, whatever. Miss me with all that. Don't try to convince me of things that YOU don't even believe.

By "everyone will presume," you mean people that supposedly think like you.

Funny how Jews wanted so badly to get into Harvard when they felt that they were more deserving of being there than many Anglo-Saxon whites. Why didn't they think that a Harvard degree was worthless when less deserving whites could get in and they couldn't?

LOL...stop it. You're not arguing with a fool. I know the game far better than you do. This isn't about fairness to you...it's about something else.

I would say nice try, but that'd be too high of a compliment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 09:50 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...rmative-action

An excellent article worthy of a read! The real issue of favoritism in places like Harvard is not minorities; it's rich, well-connected white guys like Jared Kushner.

When it was time for little Jared to go to college, guess what multi-millionaire daddy did? He made a nice, big $2.5M to Harvard and got his US senator to contact another US senator to arrange a chat with Harvard's dean of admissions.

Lo and behold, his son got in!

This despite Jared not being exemplary in any academic sense...

Now, I'm sure there are rich liberal / Democrat types who have played this game as well. But isn't the narrative how Trump and his ilk are "salt of the earth" types to identify with the working class? Don't be an idiot. They ARE blue-blooded elitists, and they don't play by the same rules as the rest of us.

If you're going to "investigate" discrimination against whites getting into places like Harvard, be sure to also "investigate" cases of elitist favoritism with equal fervor.
How do think Obama got in?

Look at the author:

"Klein is currently editor in chief at Vox, and formerly wrote for and edited Wonkblog at the Washington Post. He frequently provides political commentary on MSNBC's The Rachel Maddow Show, Hardball with Chris Matthews, and The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell. He is a former contributor to Countdown with Keith Olberman"

"
An excellent article worthy of a read!"

Why? He just MIGHT be a LIBERAL.

What do you expect him to write?

Old 08-07-2017, 09:54 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
What does that have to do with affirmative action?
It's part of the equator bulge.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:57 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, whatever.
Your prerogative to believe so. /shrug

Old 08-07-2017, 09:58 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Affirmative Action lower standards.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:20 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Quote:
Merit is subjective.
Okay. So should everything be subjective based on identity group then? Should we have a whole range of standards and selection criteria based on ethnic and racial group (and gender)? Should this be in effect in public and private universities, the military, public and private job roles etc.?

I think the setting of standards and selection criteria should be *objective* when it comes to the ethnic / racial background, gender, sexuality, etc. of candidates. I think this is what we should strive for. I don't think we get to a free world through making these collective group identity factors prominent over the individual. I don't think we get to a free liberal society by using force to meddle and manipulate things to push for some top-down engineered goal.
Quote:
That's why i basically ignore arguments about how everything should be judged on merit.
Then in your world how much should be based on merit and how much should be based purely on the various identity groups a candidate can claim to belong to? And in what areas? How much authority should be exercised over the ability of individuals to self-determine? How much of the unequal standard should be used to achieve equality of outcome?
Quote:
People crack me up when they infer that anyone accepting what they deem as an undeserved advantage (they're basically talking about African Americans, even though they're trying to pretend that they aren't) would and should feel bad about receiving it. White people always claim that they'd feel less than honored if they received any sort of unearned advantage...i know better, but they think they're fooling someone.
I haven't said anything like that. I'm talking about standards and selection criteria, not how any particular person feels. And I don't give one crap about Jared Kusher (I barely know who that is).

Old 08-07-2017, 10:20 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Yeah, whatever. Miss me with all that. Don't try to convince me of things that YOU don't even believe.

By "everyone will presume," you mean people that supposedly think like you.

Funny how Jews wanted so badly to get into Harvard when they felt that they were more deserving of being there than many Anglo-Saxon whites. Why didn't they think that a Harvard degree was worthless when less deserving whites could get in and they couldn't?

LOL...stop it. You're not arguing with a fool. I know the game far better than you do. This isn't about fairness to you...it's about something else.

I would say nice try, but that'd be too high of a compliment.
I don't know why Obama didn't get the Nobel Prize BEFORE he got into Harvard.

There's a difference between the Noble and the Nobel.

You just tell me . . . You just tell me, which one carries the most weight.

Remember the clock boy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEqlBveP_Rg

Old 08-07-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:

Look at the author:

"Klein is currently editor in chief at Vox, and formerly wrote for and edited Wonkblog at the Washington Post. He frequently provides political commentary on MSNBC's The Rachel Maddow Show, Hardball with Chris Matthews, and The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell. He is a former contributor to Countdown with Keith Olberman"

"
An excellent article worthy of a read!"

Why? He just MIGHT be a LIBERAL.

What do you expect him to write?
Talk about Kushner. We already know what you think about Obama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Affirmative Action lower standards.
Ok. But he's a former US senator and president...and now he's a millionaire.

You're none of those, so what's your excuse?

Old 08-08-2017, 04:42 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Talk about Kushner. We already know what you think about Obama.

Ok. But he's a former US senator and president...and now he's a millionaire.

You're none of those, so what's your excuse?
"But he's a former US senator and president...and now he's a millionaire."

The left NEVER digs into a dems past.

Yoy obviously know NOTHING about HOW Obama got those positions.

You sow a lot of ignorance , Obama WAS a millionaire BEFORE he ran for President.

What 30 something person write their memoirs?

His books were all a sham for hm to MAKE a million dollars.

Have you even read them?

Old 08-08-2017, 04:49 AM

Quote:
"But he's a former US senator and president...and now he's a millionaire."

The left NEVER digs into a dems past.

Yoy obviously know NOTHING about HOW Obama got those positions.

You sow a lot of ignorance , Obama WAS a millionaire BEFORE he ran for President.

What 30 something person write their memoirs?

His books were all a sham for hm to MAKE a million dollars.

Have you even read them?
Dig into Obama's past for what? What would be the point? I could unvote him from ever being a senator and president if I find out something I don't like?

What 30 something person writes their memoirs? Someone with a story to tell. You got a problem with that?

Have I even read them? Why do you ask? Are his books mandatory reading or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies