Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How has immigration affected your community?
Immigration has improved my community a lot/give me more 44 32.35%
It's been good but I wouldn't want more 5 3.68%
It's been somewhat bad and I'd like to see less 14 10.29%
Immigration has made my community worse/wish it was totally gone 50 36.76%
Haven't noticed a difference or no opinion 23 16.91%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 02:56 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
All the recent news have been bringing out a lot of polarized views on immigration. I'm curious what the effect immigration has had on your actual neighborhood/town/city, rather than on a macro scale. Not talking about morality, principle, or idealism. Those are important, sure, but I'm more interested in what you are seeing with your own eyes and in your own life.

And I'm hoping immigrants can also participate, because surely you may also be affected by immigration that followed yours.
If it weren't for immigration, we would all still be living where our species evolved. It would be very crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 03:51 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
My family legally immigrated to the U.S. and I am part of the first generation born and raised in the States. So clearly immigration has affected my life positively. Most people with whom I grew up are recent Americans and we are all quite successful. So I'm pro-legal immigration.

As for illegal immigration, I believe that for a time, illegals were allowed to come in and many children were brought with them. I feel those people should be given a chance to prove they have been here for a substantial period and allowed to remain, as long as they are law-abiding. Beyond that, illegal immigrants need to be deported.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:51 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
Do you have any statistics to back up your premise? Your forefathers were likely immigrants. At some point in time they became legal. See how that works? The only true native peoples of this country are the American Indians. If you are NOT then your position is that of a Moral dilemma rather than a rational one.

Most of our ancestors weren't here illegally in the first place so how did they become legal? That makes no sense. There were no true or original natives to this country. All of our ancestors migrated here from somewhere else. The American Indians did also.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:57 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
And so by that reasoning you're going to need an ever increasing immigrant stream and constant population growth as the previous immigrant population ages. That follows the logic of a pyramid scheme that will collapse sooner than later.
The absolute truth. Why can't some grasp that simple concept?

Old 08-07-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I dont think one person would say mass immigration improves social cohesion or makes a community stronger. Its just a "mosaic" of cultures that dont integrate with other cultures? Every culture we import is very xenophobic towards other cultures and races. lol

I doubt any culture or race immigrating here wants "multiculturalism", the "melting pot", and mass immigration in their home country.
Actually, numerous people immigrating to the U.S. come from multicultural nations. Many of their nations were formed from immigration from all over the world. The reason they come to the U.S. is for greater opportunity.

Some cultures are more xenophobic than others.

My country of descent is a mix of various peoples and religions. It is one of the few places in the world where Christian, Hindus and Muslims live well together overall. Of course, there have been and still are challenges. But it wouldn't be the beautiful, unique place that it is without people of different origins...

Old 08-07-2017, 07:23 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
All the recent news have been bringing out a lot of polarized views on immigration. I'm curious what the effect immigration has had on your actual neighborhood/town/city, rather than on a macro scale. Not talking about morality, principle, or idealism. Those are important, sure, but I'm more interested in what you are seeing with your own eyes and in your own life.

And I'm hoping immigrants can also participate, because surely you may also be affected by immigration that followed yours.
Zero.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:51 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
All the recent news have been bringing out a lot of polarized views on immigration. I'm curious what the effect immigration has had on your actual neighborhood/town/city, rather than on a macro scale.
Legal immigration has been a net benefit in the DC area. Lots of international foods, restaurants and all that good stuff.

However, there are too many illegal immigrants that have caused schools to decline and too many Spanish-speaking people who refuse to speak English.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Legal immigration has been a net benefit in the DC area. Lots of international foods, restaurants and all that good stuff.

However, there are too many illegal immigrants that have caused schools to decline and too many Spanish-speaking people who refuse to speak English.
Agreed. I grew up in the DC Metro and enjoyed what the diversity brought to the area. One day Thai food, next Ethiopian and another Indian. The cultural activities are second to none.

But I agree with your second paragraph...

Old 08-07-2017, 09:21 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,335 times
Legal immigration is fine, but illegal immigration has destroyed some areas in my state. My city hasn't been all that effected, but places like Tucson or Phoenix are now complete hell-holes because of it.

AZ is losing the battle. I think we got about another 10-15 years before we become NM and lose our identity as a state.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:28 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Didn't have an option for me. Immigration has broadened my perspectives on different people from various parts of the world. It has taught me that all people basically want the same things - food, shelter, clothing, stability, and that we all have a love for our communities, families, and native nations.

I have been fortunate to have went to school with immigrants, primarily refugees from Asia/the ME. I also knew quite a few Chicano/Chicana immigrants who moved to the city I'm from via them having family already here and being sponsored. I especially learned to enjoy Mexican music due to that influence and Vietnamese and Thai and various Middle Eastern/Mediterranean foods due to my friends I grew up with.

Since I've been an adult, I've worked in housing with a lot of different immigrant groups including Russians (mostly Russian Jews), Cambodians, Laosian/Hmong, Nepalese, Sudanese, Somalians, and various people from West African nations like Cameroon, C'ote D'Ivoire, and Liberia.

They have all primarily been wonderful people and I've learned not to be prejudiced against immigrant groups or overly suspicious of people just because they are from another country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies