Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 12:32 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,114 times

Advertisements

Given factors such as politics, economy, culture, education, and safety, how satisfied are you overall? Why/why not?

Last edited by DonJuanQuixote; 08-05-2017 at 12:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 01:09 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
With lots and lots of things to be thankful and content of, there is primarily one thing that bothers me a lot. And that's the increasing violence against kids.

There is a heart wrenching news about small kids being physically beaten or starved to death or sexually assualted every other day. And I am like, what the heck is wrong with so many people?

Old 08-05-2017, 01:14 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
If the deer would quit eating my tomatoes and Trump would drop dead, I'd be the happiest person in the USA.

Until then, I'll settle. On a happiness scale of 1-10, I'm a 9

Old 08-05-2017, 01:28 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
With lots and lots of things to be thankful and content of, there is primarily one thing that bothers me a lot. And that's the increasing violence against kids.

There is a heart wrenching news about small kids being physically beaten or starved to death or sexually assualted every other day. And I am like, what the heck is wrong with so many people?
And yet the numbers prove that we are way safer in 2017 than we were in 1977 or 1987. You just know more bad stuff because of media.

If you have Netflix, watch The Keepers. Talk about violence against kids - - and this was done by the Catholic church and the local police. You just weren't bombarded by the story 24/7.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
If the deer would quit eating my tomatoes and Trump would drop dead, I'd be the happiest person in the USA.

Until then, I'll settle. On a happiness scale of 1-10, I'm a 9
While debating in this forum, people have challenged me: "who in this forum wishes ill on Trump?" Well, here's another one.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
While debating in this forum, people have challenged me: "who in this forum wishes ill on Trump?" Well, here's another one.
Whether he drops dead, resigns, or is impeached, it's all the same to me. I don't wish him a lingering painful death. Nor do I hope he ends up in prison. I just want him gone, out of my life.

He's like the deer in my backyard, I don't want them to suffer pain or go to jail, I just want them to get out of my yard and quit eating my tomatoes.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:17 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
Quote:
Given factors such as politics, economy, culture, education, and safety, how satisfied are you overall? Why/why not?
Politics- 3
Economy- 5
Culture- 4
Education- 9
Safety- 9
*Landscape- 10
*People- 10

I like America a lot. I give politics a low score because no-one is listening to each other. Its become like the high school football game where the other side is literally Hitler, and social media has let both sides spiral into their own little echo chambers. Real experiences are never anything like what people claim they are on the internet. Most people are good.

I give the economy a middle score because sometimes I feel like the only thing that matters in America is how much money you have. The way the economy is set up, it will leave you behind if financial gain isn't your only goal, and there is little sympathy given to those who don't seek the dollar. On the plus side, this is great for the financially ambitious, and it feeds untold ingenuity.

Culture gets a low rank for the same reasons as economy. It feels a bit plastic and a lot materialistic. Our pop music is horrendous, our television is worse, and I could almost see why someone might want to blow us up.

There is no place in the world where you can receive a better education than the United States. Some people ***** about our public school system, but it is actually excellent if you have a family with whom education is important and will help you to thrive in it. Our university system is top tier. The issue with lower educational scores in the US comes from the diversity of its people. Lower income/rural people in the United States simply don't have a culture of pushing education on their offspring. Its changing, but slowly.

The US is WAAAY safer than what you read on the internet. I've got 38 years under my belt, 49 states, and hundreds of thousands of miles. Americans are friendly and down to earth, and most would do anything for you. There are bad spots to be sure, and that's why its not a 10. Maybe not as safe as some lower diversity areas in Europe or east Asia, but definitely safer than most places on Earth.

The United States and Canada are perhaps the most beautiful places on Earth. I know I haven't seen a whole lot of other places in person, but I love photography and geography, and am aware of what the Earth has to offer even if not in person. Also, I'm probably biased because I've seen a lot of North America. It is a stunning piece of land, loaded with natural beauty and natural resources. If other places have more to offer then this planet is even more incredible than I could have dreamed.

People in America are generally friendly, outgoing, generous, talkative, funny, creative, and diverse. I love my fellow Americans no matter where they come from, how long ago, what color they might be, or what they might believe. They are optimistic and ambitious and easygoing. They are not nearly as judgemental as the web would like to portray them, and most would give you the shirt off their back if you needed it or asked.

America is a great place to live, a better place to explore, and an awesome place to be from.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Whether he drops dead, resigns, or is impeached, it's all the same to me. I don't wish him a lingering painful death. Nor do I hope he ends up in prison. I just want him gone, out of my life.

He's like the deer in my backyard, I don't want them to suffer pain or go to jail, I just want them to get out of my yard and quit eating my tomatoes.
I'm sorry. Wishing someone death. That's diabolical.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:39 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry. Wishing someone death. That's diabolical.
We are the Deep State. We are your worst nightmare.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:03 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
As with anything the U.S could be better. I wish our schools were better I don't understand why people spend so much time their phones, etc. Like most I wish Trump wasn't in office nor did I want Hillary in office. I wish people would come to understand that we have more then two choices when it comes to voting.

Would like to see the different religions get along better and stop going on about whose God has the biggest...well. This is a beautiful country but we need to take better care of the parks and the land.

Too many people having children and housing developments popping up every where. Yeah, I'll pay for that statement. I'm still trying to figure out why there is still so much racial tension here.

America has a bad obesity problem and we need to stop eating ourselves to an early grave.

We're not perfect as a nation and we're still young compared to the rest of the world. I could think of other places to live if I had the money. I think this country's indignation could be the end of us if we are not careful.

Overall I'd give it a 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies