Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 08:36 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
First, I'm curious why wonderful wealthy Mexicans want to come here if they are in the upper class in Mexico?

Second, I can only speak for myself, but I would be happy if we could stop illegal border crossings/visa overstays and grandfather in all the illegal immigrants where we have looked the other way for years.....with the exception of criminals. The criminals should be round up and sent back.

I don't agree that we are creating a permanent underclass. I have landscapers who are a Mexican couple. I don't know for sure, but I assume they are illegal, and their 2 children who were born here are legal. They work hard and in the years I have known them they have advanced. As well as their oldest daughter is attending college. I admire them because they exhibit the personal responsibility and work ethic that has always made up the American dream. They may never totally achieve it for themselves, but I think their children will.
So you admire people who broke the law? What's next, admiring the bank robber for being industrious and making money? I've found that the majority of the people who enter this country illegally also flout many of our other laws and rules. Hardly admirable, IMO.

And if you are hiring illegals for your landscaping needs, you are part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 08:40 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
News flash, there arent too many abled bodied Americans lining up to mow lawns. People hire mexicans because they show up to do the work, their citizen status is irrelevent to them.
I'm with you on the anchor baby thing though and along with that illegals should be denied taxpayer funded services.
News Flash - back in the 80s and early 90s there were PLENTY of Americans who made a decent living doing landscaping in the spring/summer/fall and plowing in the winter. My ex husband was one of them, and he was one of many in the area we lived in. Until they started getting undercut pay-wise by illegals who didn't have to pay taxes, unemployment/workers compensation insurance and decent wages to their workers.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:48 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
So you admire people who broke the law? What's next, admiring the bank robber for being industrious and making money? I've found that the majority of the people who enter this country illegally also flout many of our other laws and rules. Hardly admirable, IMO.
And if you are hiring illegals for your landscaping needs, you are part of the problem.
And you are probably part of the problem too every time you go to a car wash, a fast food restaurant, rent a motel room or buy strawberries or tomatoes. There's really no reason to be so self righteous

Old 08-06-2017, 08:50 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It has already been created, unfortunately. The number of poor Hispanics in the United States as grown from negligible in 1960 to the point that they actually outnumber poor blacks.
The number of affluent Hispanics has also soared. Our neighborhoods in the SW are full of spanish-surname people who may or may not speak Spanish, but are educated and solid citizens. Many are third and subsequent generations. Every immigrant group took a few generations to reach the "American dream".

Considering the illegal arrivals have been mostly in the last 20 years or so, it is no surprise that they are struggling to get ahead. In the same time, the working whites of the midwest have been cast into poverty, alcoholism, drug addiction and political desperation by the exportation of jobs to low wage Asian nations. It's been hard to get ahead for everyone, legal and illegal alike.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:52 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
News Flash - back in the 80s and early 90s there were PLENTY of Americans who made a decent living doing landscaping in the spring/summer/fall and plowing in the winter. My ex husband was one of them, and he was one of many in the area we lived in. Until they started getting undercut pay-wise by illegals who didn't have to pay taxes, unemployment/workers compensation insurance and decent wages to their workers.
In my area people will do landscaping for like 12 bucks an hour I find it really hard to believe people need to use illegals. It's similar to backyard mechanics, all you do is put an ad on craigslist and get some references from them.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:55 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
In my area people will do landscaping for like 12 bucks an hour I find it really hard to believe people need to use illegals. It's similar to backyard mechanics, all you do is put an ad on craigslist and get some references from them.
People use illegals because they show up and do the work.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:56 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
He probably wasn't reliable, his gig got outsourced.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:54 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Nope, not at all.

No such thing as a remittance either. All fake news.

Mexican Government & Illegal Immigrants in U.S. -- Advice to Avoid Deportation | National Review
Says the guy who then tries to pass a blog off as news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies