Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 01:53 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Free speech is protected but within limits (the US has limits too - shouting fire in a crowded movie theatre for example, or fighting words)

Anyway Germany isn't so Nazi about Nazi stuff as it seems - watch the German film Look Who's Back https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_Who%27s_Back_(film) (bloody good film btw, very funny but makes you think too)

No it is not!

If it were protected, there would not be "hate speech" laws like they have.

They tried that crap here and our Constitution said, OH, HELL NO! There is no such thing as "hate speech"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 02:19 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No it is not!

If it were protected, there would not be "hate speech" laws like they have.

They tried that crap here and our Constitution said, OH, HELL NO! There is no such thing as "hate speech"
Speech that incites violence against others is not allowed because it causes harm, just like shouting fire in a crowded movie theatre causes harm.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:49 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,733 times
Well, dressing up like the KKK idiots is not illegal in the US.

So far, thoughts and expressions without action are still not illegal in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Riiiiight.

I'm sorry. I assumed people here understand that the speech/expression protected by the 1st amendment is political and religious speech.

I didn't realize that I had to dumb it down for you and explain the difference between political and religious speech/expression and threats to kill.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Speech that incites violence against others is not allowed because it causes harm, just like shouting fire in a crowded movie theatre causes harm.
Well, yes. You cannot incite people to beat or lynch others. That is a reasonable restriction on free speech.

But, general "hate speech", which might make you angry enough to want to hit someone, does not entitle you to actually hit someone. Its your responsibility to control your emotions and rebut speech with speech.

Many Librul Progs in America, like many of the social democrats of Europe and Canada, do not seem to understand this simple idea.

Many Librul Progs in America, for instance, allege that words they disagree with are so hurtful that they must resort to physical violence in response.

Violence in response to mere words is indicative of a lack of intelligence and a low EQ.

Last edited by Salmonburgher; 08-07-2017 at 06:43 AM..

Old 08-07-2017, 06:05 AM

Citizens of Western Europe, the UK, and Canada all have less freedom, compared to US citizens, to express political and religious ideas.

Quote:
This is the kind of stuff that causes citizens from those other countries mentioned to simply wonder sometimes.
Not our fault that they do not want to be free to express political and religious ideas.

Quote:
U.S. scores 89 with those others you mention being in the mid to high 90's

Just because your internal propaganda says it (and often) does not necessarily make it so.
PLEASE READ!

I have no idea what you're talking about. I remarked above only that citizens of Western Europe, the UK, and Canada all have less freedom, compared to US citizens, to express political and religious ideas.

Quote:
You've got kiddies being sent home from school for pretending a stick is a gun:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.05659202543b
I agree that is extremely silly.

But, some kiddie pretending a stick is a gun is not expressing political and religious ideas.

Quote:
Movie censorship in the U.S. might preclude some forms of nudity or sexual activity being shown on screen whereas in the Netherlands you can view the goods, before purchasing same, in a storefront window.
Yes. But showing nudity is not expressing political and religious ideas.

Quote:
War on drugs? Going to jail for years for possession of whatever amount of pot?
I agree that the War on Drugs is stupid. But nobody goes to jail for expressing political ideas about the War on Drugs.

Quote:
U.S. has the highest incarceration rate of the free world and you're presuming to lecture others about what should be deemed "appropriate" in their rule of law?
I make no such presumption. Rather, you are seeing words that I never posted and arguing against a strawman.

Why not try to read carefully before responding?

Quote:
What is deemed "inappropriate" by some is not necessarily concern causing for others. Surely you can understand that without comparing it to a country's "perceived" superior freedoms in a negative context? er,........ can't you?
Surely you can read more carefully? er, .... can't you?

Old 08-07-2017, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Pilot1:
Small point, and maybe this is just syntax, but our Constitution does not "convey rights". Our rights come to us naturally as human beings. The Constitution only guarantees that government can not take them away. Government grants us nothing. We the people allow government to exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
While I agree with you, it was a conscious decision by our founding fathers to enumerate them. And what a wondrous decision it was. My use of the word convey is in the legal sense.
Pilot1 is correct.

Our rights were listed, but, the Bill of Rights is not an exhaustive list of rights.

The powers of the federal government were enumerated specifically for the purpose of limiting them.

Our rights, according to our founding fathers, are unalienable/inalienable. They are not and cannot be conveyed.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:27 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In a western country, it is highly abnormal to outlaw a symbol or the use of any symbol in casual situations. So it deserves discussion.
It's a western country STILL trying to deal with its own history of atrocities.
There are very specific laws dealing with the Nazis there.
So it's not just some random western country. It's one struggling with its past and trying hard to build a different face.

It's their laws. I think it's a bit extreme, but they know their own culture better than I do. As one German friend of mine said (when I spent a summer there), "My people are too easily led." Maybe this is the precaution they know they need.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:58 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's a western country STILL trying to deal with its own history of atrocities.
There are very specific laws dealing with the Nazis there.
So it's not just some random western country. It's one struggling with its past and trying hard to build a different face.

It's their laws. I think it's a bit extreme, but they know their own culture better than I do. As one German friend of mine said (when I spent a summer there), "My people are too easily led." Maybe this is the precaution they know they need.
Germany is a western country in the sense that it happens to be located in the western hemisphere.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:00 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Germany is a western country in the sense that it happens to be located in the western hemisphere.
He used the idea of 'western country' to imply that these places tend to be more free in terms of expression.
Or are you playing dumb to make a point?

Old 08-07-2017, 07:02 AM

9,979 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm guessing the irony of conceding to the state what ideas and expressions are acceptable because the people are "too easily led" was entirely lost on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies