Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 06:54 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,677,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Not illegal, but use caution and common sense. Dressing like KKK idiots in front of the BLM people might result in serious bodily harm. I once told a guy from Thailand that I found their Queen to be attractive enough to have sex with. Dude wanted to kill me for saying that.
Ugh -- their queen is 80-some years old! Either this was decades ago or you have some unusual fetishes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 07:00 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Germany has breached the first amendment.
A country cannot breach something it is not obliged to respect, but I assume you're trolling.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:03 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Germany has breached the first amendment.
Did we recently add Germany as the 51st state?

I must pay closer attention to the news.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:07 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Did we recently add Germany as the 51st state?

I must pay closer attention to the news.
LOL! We could have, but as a good, non-colonial country just rebuilt it for them.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:11 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Actually one should remember that Germans are not just limited gesture-wise over Nazi salutes. They are forbidden to 'give people the finger', the equivalent of saying 'Up Yours' and can be heavily fined for it. To make the Nazi salute is to give the finger to German Democracy.

Performing the Nazi salute is not part of them. As isn't burning red, white and blue pieces of cloth, owning and publicly carrying machine guns or having everyone observe one's own religious practises.

These Chinese tourists need to ask themselves, what if they went to Japan and saw the Japanese waving The Imperial Japanese Army flag? They would not be too happy about it, won't they?
A while back, a Chinese actress wearing a dress with Japanese flag on it, she received nationwide criticism.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:18 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
This doesn't surprise me at all.

The thing that amazes me is how unwilling some Americans are to accept the fact that other countries have laws that differ from our own. No wonder our tourists have such a bad reputation.
I am perfectly fine for the citizens of another country to decide what is best for them. In this case I can understand their point as they have never had a Constitution that conveys rights such as ours. However, what amazes me is the amount of Americans who think laws like this are a grand idea. They would throw out the entire Constitution if it suited them, that is until it was inconvenient for them personally.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:24 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Actually one should remember that Germans are not just limited gesture-wise over Nazi salutes. They are forbidden to 'give people the finger', the equivalent of saying 'Up Yours' and can be heavily fined for it. To make the Nazi salute is to give the finger to German Democracy.

Performing the Nazi salute is not part of them. As isn't burning red, white and blue pieces of cloth, owning and publicly carrying machine guns or having everyone observe one's own religious practises.

These Chinese tourists need to ask themselves, what if they went to Japan and saw the Japanese waving The Imperial Japanese Army flag? They would not be too happy about it, won't they?
A while back, a Chinese actress wearing a dress with Japanese flag on it, she received nationwide criticism.
In fact, class A war criminals are honored in Yasakuni Shrine, Tokyo. This explains why China and Korea don't get along with Japan very well.
Yasukuni Shrine: the 14 'Class A' war criminals honoured by Japan - Telegraph

Everybody agrees that it's very inappropriate to make fun of Nazi in Germany, but being arrested is another story.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:26 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
A country cannot breach something it is not obliged to respect, but I assume you're trolling.
So, Germany cannot breach the freedom of speech because they are not obliged to respect it.

I'm not saying they are obliged, I'm just saying they don't respect the freedom of speech.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:27 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
In fact, class A war criminals are honored in Yasakuni Shrine, Tokyo. This explains why China and Korea don't get along with Japan very well.
Yasukuni Shrine: the 14 'Class A' war criminals honoured by Japan - Telegraph

Everybody agrees that it's very inappropriate to make fun of Nazi in Germany, but being arrested is another story.
No matter what people do, there will be others not happy about it. <shrug>

Old 08-06-2017, 07:28 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I am perfectly fine for the citizens of another country to decide what is best for them. In this case I can understand their point as they have never had a Constitution that conveys rights such as ours. However, what amazes me is the amount of Americans who think laws like this are a grand idea. They would throw out the entire Constitution if it suited them, that is until it was inconvenient for them personally.
It's funny. There's another discussion going on right now on here that made me think the very same thing about the Constitution.

I don't think a law like that would be a good idea for us. I can, however, understand why the Germans may feel it is right for them, regarding Nazism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies