Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 08:25 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

This is unprecedented. It is a sad state of affairs that Congress has to consider limiting what were once routine powers of the presidency in order to preserve our democracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 08:26 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Yes, because Trump is such a saint.
And what has Trump done since he has been in office that is illegal, immoral, and unethical like Clinton did while HE was in office? Please tell me what has Trump done?

Old 08-06-2017, 09:30 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
And what has Trump done since he has been in office that is illegal, immoral, and unethical like Clinton did while HE was in office? Please tell me what has Trump done?

Besides hitting on the French presidents wife? Besides him telling McCain that he isn't a war hero.

I could go on but it won't matter to you because your head is so far in the sand pile. Let me ask you something now. How come you don't want to discuss what Trump said before he got elected?

Old 08-06-2017, 09:47 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
This is unprecedented. It is a sad state of affairs that Congress has to consider limiting what were once routine powers of the presidency in order to preserve our democracy.

No law or statute, can surpass the US Constitution. Period.
Is this up for Constitutional Amendment? Or is this just some more faux outrage, to get the ignorant all wound up?

Old 08-06-2017, 09:48 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Has Lindsey Graham ever read the Constitution? He want's to limit the President's power to fire his subordinates by passing a statute. He doesn't realize that those who work for the President serve at his pleasure. He is the Executive Officer, and those in the executive branch work for him. Including Mueller.

Personally, I believe Trump should fire Mueller and end this ridiculous "investigation," which has gone on too long and as yet has turned up no evidence of collusion. Now, the "investigation" has been broadened to go way beyond it's original purpose. That's because they are hoping to find something they can use against Trump, so if the Democrat win the House back, they can impeach Trump.
Special Counsel should not work for the President if Special Counsel is investigating the President. The Special Counsel statute prevents the President from directly firing him/her for that reason. Any dismissal must be made by the Attorney General and not the President. Its a protection that is already built into the law. Graham wants to strengthen that protection and it makes sense in light of Trump's threats.

You couldn't possibly know if this is a "ridiculous investigation" because it has been completed yet. Get it?
When witnesses have all been interviewed, when all exhibits of evidence have been examined, and when all statutes of the federal criminal code have been considered and when a decision is finally reached that laws were violated or not than we will know if laws have been broken.

Please state for us all of your background in law. Please tell us how many cases you have prosecuted. Please tell us how many criminal defendants you have interviewed. How many criminal statutes have you participated in writing? Do you any background in arresting criminal offenders or prosecuting the same?

On the other hand, Lindsay Graham has served in Congress for approximately twenty years. He has also served as a federal prosecutor and as a JAG Attorney in the military.

I am not in the same political party that Lindsay Graham is in. Yet, over the years he has grudgingly earned a measure of respect from me. I see him as a Congressman who has a recognizable set of principles. It is clear that Donald Trump is a bit much for him as he was for more voters than not this last election.

These forums are interesting. We continually hear some expound on subjects that they clearly know nothing about on a minute-to-minute basis.

One last thing: The definition of a "trumpbot" is one who blindly supports Donald Trump and instead of basing decision on facts simply creates their own "alternative facts".

Old 08-06-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Besides hitting on the French presidents wife? Besides him telling McCain that he isn't a war hero.

I could go on but it won't matter to you because your head is so far in the sand pile. Let me ask you something now. How come you don't want to discuss what Trump said before he got elected?

Your hurt feelings leading to emotional instability, are not illegal, immoral, or unethical. It is encouraged.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Special Counsel should not work for the President if Special Counsel is investigating the President. The Special Counsel statute prevents the President from directly firing him/her for that reason. Any dismissal must be made by the Attorney General and not the President. Its a protection that is already built into the law. Graham wants to strengthen that protection and it makes sense in light of Trump's threats.

You couldn't possibly know if this is a "ridiculous investigation" because it has been completed yet. Get it?
When witnesses have all been interviewed, when all exhibits of evidence have been examined, and when all statutes of the federal criminal code have been considered and when a decision is finally reached that laws were violated or not than we will know if laws have been broken.

Please state for us all of your background in law. Please tell us how many cases you have prosecuted. Please tell us how many criminal defendants you have interviewed. How many criminal statutes have you participated in writing? Do you any background in arresting criminal offenders or prosecuting the same?

On the other hand, Lindsay Graham has served in Congress for approximately twenty years. He has also served as a federal prosecutor and as a JAG Attorney in the military.

I am not in the same political party that Lindsay Graham is in. Yet, over the years he has grudgingly earned a measure of respect from me. I see him as a Congressman who has a recognizable set of principles. It is clear that Donald Trump is a bit much for him as he was for more voters than not this last election.

These forums are interesting. We continually hear some expound on subjects that they clearly know nothing about on a minute-to-minute basis.

One last thing: The definition of a "trumpbot" is one who blindly supports Donald Trump and instead of basing decision on facts simply creates their own "alternative facts".

I bet you think Nixon was impeached....
He left, because they told him he would be killed, if he didn't leave.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:53 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Has Lindsey Graham ever read the Constitution? He want's to limit the President's power to fire his subordinates by passing a statute. He doesn't realize that those who work for the President serve at his pleasure. He is the Executive Officer, and those in the executive branch work for him. Including Mueller.

Personally, I believe Trump should fire Mueller and end this ridiculous "investigation," which has gone on too long and as yet has turned up no evidence of collusion. Now, the "investigation" has been broadened to go way beyond it's original purpose. That's because they are hoping to find something they can use against Trump, so if the Democrat win the House back, they can impeach Trump.
One wonders if Graham attempted to do the same thing with Obama?
Or is he just a milquetoast spineless tool of those who are never Trumpers?

Old 08-06-2017, 09:58 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Lindsey Graham is trying to save the GOP from having to impeach Trump. He knows that if Trump fires Mueller, that the likely end result will be impeachment proceedings.

The House only needs a simple majority to impeach. If all Democrats in the House vote the impeach, they only need approx 24 House Republicans to vote to impeach. Then it goes to the Senate to decide to remove Trump from office. They need 67 Senators to vote for this. Which means 19 Senate Republican votes are needed if all D and I vote to remove Trump from office.

The GOP wants to avoid the catastrophe of impeachment/removal from office.

All the Trump supporters here that want him to fire Mueller. Ask yourself whether you are ready to see impeachment proceedings start. It's a cause and effect if Trump fires Mueller. A vote for firing Mueller is a vote for the start of the impeachment process.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:58 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
But the president can't just fire someone because they get more press then he does. Or because they are investigating him. You seem worried that they might find something, are you? If not and Trump is innocent then so be it. Trump just wants people to do his bidding no questions asked. Sorry being president it doesn't work that way. No matter who you voted for firing people is a good way to insure that nothing ever moves forward.

Not that anything will.
Mueller has a conflict of interest and that IS against the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies