Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 02:17 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
That is the whole point of the shirts. The juxtaposition of the swastika with the rainbow flag background and the word "peace" beneath is meant to be provocative.

I don't really like the design of their t-shirts, but I understand why they chose to use that version of the swastika. It's the only version that works with the message they are trying to promote. If they used another version of the swastika, then it really wouldn't catch anyone's attention.
This may come as a shock to you, but I'm not stupid or small-minded, and I understand what they are attempting to do. I just think that the sight of any swastika, is still likely to be hurtful to many people, and in this case, I would rather err, if err I must, on the side of not giving offense. I would prefer to wear something that promotes peace without raking up painful memories. In addition, someone who doesn't know that the swastika existed before Hitler would undoubtedly assume the shirt was implying that Nazis are peaceful. Sounds crazy, I know, but God knows there is plenty of crazy out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 02:41 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
IMO the swastika will probably lose it's Nazi connection once the entire boomer generation is dead and gone. The children of the boomer generation have no connection to it. The only way it will continue to have it's negative connotations connected to it in the generations that follow is if the general history taught continue to revisit it. For example, I doubt nearly anyone who looks at the Roman Empire symbol will connect it to the Romans. They will most likely think it's some US club with a Eagle in the middle of their insignia.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:53 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
I think it's in bad taste. I've always known that it's an ancient symbol, that at its beginnings it signified a wheel, then peace. But the older generation will always see that as a symbol of Hitler. I would hope that the younger generations won't forget. It will be a long time in the distant future that anyone will be able to get away with using swastikas to sell anything.

Do they not teach history in school? Do the kids not learn about Hitler and what he did to millions of people? Do they not look at those pictures? Never forget.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:42 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
"They range in price from $20 to $35."
That's the real outrage imo.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:31 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,309 times
The swastik is a Hindu symbol before anything else. Also, from I recall it is illegal to be homosexual in India (FYI). Those shirt makers are confused.

A burning cross has a cross in it. I don't see all crosses as burning crosses. Likewise I don't see a swastik as a Nazi swastika.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:35 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times
its amazing to see the conversation difference between this thread and the other where the OP tried to claim the Progressive moment was being anti-Semitic because some random company was selling the shirts.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:44 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
it looks like the company that decided to sell the shirts has now removed the shirts from their website.
https://teespring.com/stores/kadesign

Old 08-07-2017, 02:48 AM

27,132 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I'm aware that the Nazis did not originate the symbol, but they re-defined its meaning for the foreseeable future. I think this design is ill-advised.

The Nazi's were inspured by different historical cultures, the symbol is similar to ancient symbols and indeed Buddhist symbolism, whilst the Nazi salute is similar to the Roman salute and it's Hail Cesaer.

Even some of the Indiana Jones films had a grain of truth to them, as Hitler was very interested in powerful ancient artefacts and the ocult did in fact employ people to find such items as the 'Spear of Destiny' or 'Holy Lance' - the Spear used to stab Christ on the cross, which I believe is now in a museum in Austria, as well as numerous other items. Hitler believed such items would give him power against his enemies.

Did Hitler's obsession with the occult lose him the war? | The Spectator

Revealed: Himmler's secret quest to locate the 'Aryan Holy Grail' | The Independent

From Nazis to the Ark: five surprising truths from the Indiana Jones films

Holy Lance - Wikipedia

Nazism and occultism - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-07-2017 at 02:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies