Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 10:35 AM

16,358 posts, read 8,440,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Is that enough nowadays? At a place with a strong bent like Google, might silence be interpreted as guilt? Wouldn't it make more sense to pretend to follow the prevailing ideology and then quietly vote how you want at election time?
Unions work like this, via expecting vocal support for their causes. If you remain silent, you as suspect.

I remember working where union members were coerced into attending rallies for political people they didn't support. But they went anyone so they didn't jeopardize their jobs. I was white collar at the time, but one day was approached about making a weekly contribution of a % of my money to the United Way. I declined and the union rep tried to shame me by saying as management, I made enough money to not be greedy.
I explained to this egg head that I donated to several charities, but the ones I believed in. I went on to explain how the United Way served some decent causes, but also funded some I didn't approve of. Once he realized he was wasting his time with me, he left.
Next the plant manager (not my boss, but my bosses boss) came in later to explain how it would look bad for someone in my position not to donate, as they had a goal to get everyone to sign up. I explained the same thing to him, and he seemed perplexed that his "suggestion" was not cutting any ice with me.

Now I never got fired, but when the company "downsized", I was let go, while several less qualified minorities who I had trained were retained.
So whether it was because I was a white guy, or didn't knuckle under to "voluntarily" donating, it was obvious I was not on the Christmas card list any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 10:36 AM

3,570 posts, read 2,507,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Not a bad approach, however how successful do you think "reverse discrimination" lawsuits are in the environment we live in today?
First of all, good luck in trying to find a group representing the interests of white people to pay for your legal expenses like there are for minority groups. Try doing it through the companies HR division and see how far you get.
Many a private lawsuit of a white person (who was superior in their qualifications) for a job, promotion, admission, etc., have been lost because the mantra of social engineering for the benefit of minorities has prevailed.

It is the same concept with so called "hate crime" laws. It is presumed that any minority(religious/race/orientation)attacked by a white has a hateful purpose, thus the liberal media will always mention race or other factors that have nothing to do with the crime. Yet, reverse the exact same crime with the suspect being a minority and the victim being white, and nothing is implied. This is even true when racial epithets have been uttered against the white victim. Yet to liberals, it is just an economic crime.

So if the deck is stacked against you, don't assume your chances of success are equal to anyone else. As a comparative analogy, how many Dads win custody battles vs. the Moms?
So why waste the money and time knowing you are going to lose before the trial ever gets started.

`
There is no such thing as reverse discrimination when it comes to employment lawsuits. There is either discrimination based on protected attributes or there is not discrimination based on protected attributes. A white person who faces discrimination on the basis of their race can sue for race-based discrimination. A man who faces discrimination on the basis of his sex can sue for sex-based discrimination.

Lawyers do not work for free. Lawyers who represent employees often work on a contingency basis, where they take a percentage of any settlement or trial award (after their costs are deducted).

You are also (surprise, surprise) incorrect about hate crimes. There is no presumption of hateful purpose. Hate crimes, like other crimes, must be proved beyond a reasonable doubt.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:36 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,888,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Can I define any talk related to homosexuality is inappropriate?
Why ask me?

Old 08-08-2017, 10:37 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,605,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Can I define any talk related to homosexuality is inappropriate?
I would think the real keys isn't what you talk about - but whether one spreads it publically by standing up on a soapbox and spreading same to thousands.....within said company.

This is like taking a job at a machine shop and then complaining you don't like the smell of solvent.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:39 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,495,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I would think the real keys isn't what you talk about - but whether one spreads it publically by standing up on a soapbox and spreading same to thousands.....within said company.

This is like taking a job at a machine shop and then complaining you don't like the smell of solvent.
Not if when the company tells you the smell of solvents is the best thing in the world and is great for your health AND send you to training so that you can learn to love the funky smell.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:41 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,888,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So you don't use Google, Amazon or even MicroSoft services, products, etc.

I have news for you. Every page you load up on the interweb uses software often written or upgraded by google.

Many sites you use are hosted on Amazon (cloud).

Are you saying that you don't use Android on any devices? It's probably the embedded OS on a lot of wireless devices you use in your house (if you use any).

I'd bet dollars to donuts I could examine your life and find lots of evidence of your use of communist chinese stuff and liberal/progressive output. I'd also wager that it would hard to find stuff in your life (IP, innovation) which was created by "true conservatives".

There is a reason that the Bay Area, Boston, NYC and other such places are where the modern world is created.
It's also sortof ironic that Mr. Damore's memo has his suggestions for Google to remain competitive.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Now I never got fired, but when the company "downsized", I was let go, while several less qualified minorities who I had trained were retained.
So whether it was because I was a white guy, or didn't knuckle under to "voluntarily" donating, it was obvious I was not on the Christmas card list any longer.
Those who desire the most freedom of thought and action create a life where they work for themselves - thereby exposing them to less of having to follow other people's order.

Once you decide to enter the rat race - for whatever reason - you are subject to the rules of the maze and cheese that is set up by the Big Bosses. Period.

I wouldn't take it personally, tho. My bro worked for Lucent and AT&T for 20 years and when he was let go (plant largely shuttered) most of his Indian friends were kept on - telecommuting from India (they went back). They told him they were making enough money to live like Kings back there!

If you believe in free enterprise and unregulated capitalism, those are the breaks.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:45 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,707,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Liberals remind me of religious nuts. They react in the same exact way when someone questions their belief system.
You noticed that too, eh?

Old 08-08-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
It's also sortof ironic that Mr. Damore's memo has his suggestions for Google to remain competitive.
Yeah, they are crying out for Rushbo and Hannity to give them life and business advice.

Rushbo suggests large doses of opiates while Faux News staffers suggest puzzy grabbing and riling up old people to shout at the TV.

Funny stuff. You'd think - in a perfect world - that "conservatives" would just show us how it was done by making their ranks succeed. I guess in some way they have. Idaho is doing well - the prepping economy is booming.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:52 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,480,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Well this dude was obviously sensitive on top of being stupid. Have you seen his photo? Super nerd, graduated from Harvard, making 6 figures in lovely Cali, working at a tech giant with endless opportunities, and this fool still mad at life! Blows me away.
Seriously. Some people have it so good they think they're invincible. His views aside, this guy is likely making $300k-500k in his 30's in one of the MOST secure jobs in this country, with unlimited upwards potential, and he really didn't think twice about releasing a "manifesto" that I'm sure he knew would create waves for his company? I gotta believe anyone in DJT's base, like coal country or factory workers, would call this guy a damn fool if nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies