Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 03:05 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
For every woman having a so called "nervous breakdown" there has always been a man checked into the hospital for so called "exhaustion" which is the same difference lol.
Or dropped of a heart attack, or in alcohol rehab or suicide. We all get stressed. I'd rather have a breakdown and therapy than hold it in until I keel over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 03:06 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, I've read most of it. You can find the entire document at the link below.

I personally didn't think it was "hate speech." Instead, I agree with what Google has said in that it reeked of stereotypes of women in particular.

He said this about women:

These all perpetuate stereotypes of women. Especially the "neuroticism" which is typical of sexist comments of men for hundreds of years. Many women have been locked in insane asylums due to complaints by the men in their life that they were "neurotic" or suffered from "hysteria."

We also have to note that when women are assertive (I am an assertive woman BTW in my career and have been labeled as follows) they are considered a "b*tch" while men are seen as "strong leaders." Women and girls are often encouraged, to this day to be more "lady like" (people have said this to my 9 year old daughter as I'm also raising her to be assertive and take advantage of her leadership characteristics).

He also said:

Memo in its entirety
The document was careful to use 'on average.' 'generally,' 'large overlaps,' and other modifiers. For example, women generally being more 'agreeable' leads to less negotiating over salary. Studies support that:

"Linda's book supports our earlier article based on a 2,000-person survey that found women are more apprehensive than men regarding negotiating and do it far less. Forty-six percent of men always negotiate salary following a job offer, compared to just 30% of women. And while 39% of men are apprehensive about negotiating, that number jumps to 55% for women."

Why Women Don't Negotiate - Salary.com

That doesn't mean you or any other specific woman isn't a great salary negotiator or a specific male will negotiate.

16,543 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
How does that connect to this? How does a theme of unity **** people off? Aren't most folks in the US workers?
Simple, because taken within context, I was responding to another poster who wrote;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust
Even though I personally disagree with firing him, I would've fired him too. It was simply necessary to avoid a massive public backlash/boycotts/etc. Google had a responsibility to its shareholders (myself included) to do this.
So I was trying to determine if this poster saw both sides of the coin.

Many companies will grease the squeaky wheel to avoid agitators and shakedown artists like Sharpton & Jackson from swooping in to demand XYZ.
However liberal minded companies seem to only want to suppress conservative minded thoughts, while themselves espousing liberalism with little fear of backlash.

So when Google has a doodle like this;

It disturbs a bunch of people. Sure I guess it delights communists, anarchists and the like, but many find it disturbing.
So, my point was that if the corporate culture is tolerant of leftist ideology, it should also be tolerant of conservative and traditional American culture as well. If it fires one employee for espousing one end of the political spectrum, then other employees espousing the opposite should also get the ax.

`

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Google should be 51% female, 62% White, 16% Hispanic, 13% black, 5% Asian, 2% Jewish, 80% Christian, 95% American born, you know to reflect the community. Anyone who disagrees must be fired!

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Another software engineer who used to work for Google, Kelly Ellis, says some women who still work at the company stayed home on Monday because the memo made them "uncomfortable going back to work."

Google Reportedly Fires Employee Who Slammed Diversity Efforts : The Two-Way : NPR

Above quote from NPR source speaks volumes to me about this subject. I can't imagine doing this, but I'm not "average" and wouldn't let some memo make me "uncomfortable" much less stay home from work. Such BS.
You would stay home if you'd been indoctrinated to believe that words can physically harm you, and are no different than a physical attack. Funny, it's a woman who was too "soft" to go to work when a memo that didn't address her directly made her uncomfortable. I'm thinking the guy who wrote it was on the mark, eh?

Old 08-08-2017, 03:10 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
What's amusing is that Damore wasn't even condemning diversity. This just shows that the regressive left has below 40 IQ.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:12 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Men and women have different brains. Fact. This article discusses many of them.

All people's brains, no matter their gender, have minute differences.

However, the physiological structure and functioning of all human's brains, no matter the gender, is the same.

ETA: It was funny to me that when I clicked on your article the first thing I saw was this statement: Brains of men and women aren't distinctly different, MRI study shows lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The document was careful to use 'on average.' 'generally,' 'large overlaps,' and other modifiers. For example, women generally being more 'agreeable' leads to less negotiating over salary. Studies support that:

"Linda's book supports our earlier article based on a 2,000-person survey that found women are more apprehensive than men regarding negotiating and do it far less. Forty-six percent of men always negotiate salary following a job offer, compared to just 30% of women. And while 39% of men are apprehensive about negotiating, that number jumps to 55% for women."

That doesn't mean you or any other specific woman isn't a great salary negotiator or a specific male will negotiate.
I made no personal comments about my abilities as a salary negotiator in my comment. The post you quoted was specific to the fact that the author of the memo stereotyped women with certain, historically stereotypical characteristics - like being neurotic and anxious.

He was terminated due to stereotyping women. He did indeed stereotype women based on the words I quoted.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:14 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Maybe was wrong, but it's a private company matter. It is not Protected Speech. Google is free to do what it wants here. If you don't like it, your remedy is to avoid Google products and services.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:15 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post

You shouldn't have to negotiate. Why is this a positive? Pay people the same to start and give them raises when they perform well. You shouldn't have to beg or deal about this like a used car. I simply refuse to negotiate on anything anymore, I cannot stand sales games, and it doesn't matter what gender someone is, it is annoying - the people who win in sales tend to be the biggest jerks.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:17 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
What's amusing is that Damore wasn't even condemning diversity. This just shows that the regressive left has below 40 IQ.
So why are the conservatives here are taking him as some sort of anti-diversity hero. Below 30 IQ.... or really just the fact that the discussion has evolved into not just what he said but what the implication is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies