Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 03:18 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
You shouldn't have to negotiate. Why is this a positive? Pay people the same to start and give them raises when they perform well.
This does not make a lot of sense. People arrive with different assets, skills and work history demonstration. I have never had to negotiate very vigorously since my asking salary was always just handed to me. That is the power of a strong resume and references.

Quote:
You shouldn't have to beg or deal about this like a used car. I simply refuse to negotiate on anything anymore, I cannot stand sales games, and it doesn't matter what gender someone is, it is annoying - the people who win in sales tend to be the biggest jerks.

When looking for a job, the company is selling themselves to you and you to them. As it should be. Companies are in the business of profit. The right people make all the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 03:26 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
This does not make a lot of sense. People arrive with different assets, skills and work history demonstration. I have never had to negotiate very vigorously since my asking salary was always just handed to me. That is the power of a strong resume and references.
You really should negotiate. If it's just handed to you, that tells me you're not getting what you could. You wouldn't believe how many people confidently say "I deserve $X because of my skills" and X is a fraction of what they were willing to pay. But the company's never going to say "you know we can pay you more..."

Old 08-08-2017, 03:27 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
At the executive level, there are some real reasons that women might not be ahead, like taking time off of career to raise a family. That said, the news out of West Coast tech for real quid pro quo harassment is a little too much to ignore.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:30 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
I agree you should negotiate.

And FWIW most people I know don't negotiate because they are afraid that if they do, they won't be offered the job.

I always negotiate. And I always get what I want because I do a lot of research on companies I work for and I know their salary ranges. I want the upper range that's what I'll get or I'll walk. That said, I am at a point in my career where it is easier for me to land a very good job versus someone starting out or mid-career. I'm mid-career but it is very hard to find people in my line of work who have any relevant work experience. Most are straight out of college and don't know much about how to do the job once they come in at an entry level position.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:31 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
You shouldn't have to negotiate. Why is this a positive? Pay people the same to start and give them raises when they perform well. You shouldn't have to beg or deal about this like a used car. I simply refuse to negotiate on anything anymore, I cannot stand sales games, and it doesn't matter what gender someone is, it is annoying - the people who win in sales tend to be the biggest jerks.
well, then you're part of the 70% of women that choose not to negotiate.

If you think the services you offer is worth more than what they're offering, then yes you should speak up and explain why. There are both qualitative and quantitative features that employees offer to the employer that aren't always easy to quantify, and differ greatly from person to person. If you're entry level, then yes it's difficult to negotiate except for attempting to match the competitors entry level pay.

The recruiter would actually rather have you speak up and tell them that their offer is too low so it gives them the option to counter. "hey, I really like your company, I can offer these skills that you might not have considered in your job offer, and your competitors offered more. Is the salary you offered negotiable?" On the flip side of a job candidate looking for a company, the company is looking for a good job candidate, and are worried that they aren't offering enough.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:45 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Maybe was wrong, but it's a private company matter. It is not Protected Speech. Google is free to do what it wants here. If you don't like it, your remedy is to avoid Google products and services.
If so, diversity at Google should NOT be anybody's damn business.

The thing is that the left painted Google as the shining star of diverse and inclusive company, it's ironic that they used their inclusiveness to exclude different opinions.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:52 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If so, diversity at Google should NOT be anybody's damn business.

The thing is that the left painted Google as the shining star of diverse and inclusive company, it's ironic that they used their inclusiveness to exclude different opinions.
Neither the left, nor Google itself, has made such a claim.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:04 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
I worked at a very conservative firm that went so far as to send out biblical emails firm-wide and 'advise' people on how to vote (pro-development) so that it would benefit the firm. Liberal opinions were unwelcome, and they subtly pushed people out if they didn't fit with the 'corporate culture.'

This is not new--it is just a high-profile company. Corporations want people who will help the place run smoothly on a personal level, and this guy was obviously divisive and attempting to create divisions. Not conducive or helpful to management. And frankly, you would think the 'brainiac' would have known the corporate culture before spouting off.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:09 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
From the article which most didn't bother to read:

Non-discriminatory ways to reduce the gender gap

Women on average show a higher interest in people and men in things
We can make software engineering more people-oriented with pair programming and more collaboration. Unfortunately, there may be limits to how people-oriented certain roles and Google can be and we shouldn’t deceive ourselves or students into thinking otherwise (some of our programs to get female students into coding might be doing this).

Women on average are more cooperative
Allow those exhibiting cooperative behavior to thrive. Recent updates to Perf may be doing this to an extent, but maybe there’s more we can do. This doesn’t mean that we should remove all competitiveness from Google. Competitiveness and self reliance can be valuable traits and we shouldn’t necessarily disadvantage those that have them, like what’s been done in education. Women on average are more prone to anxiety. Make tech and leadership less stressful. Google already partly does this with its many stress reduction courses and benefits.

Women on average look for more work-life balance while men have a higher drive for status on average
Unfortunately, as long as tech and leadership remain high status, lucrative careers, men may disproportionately want to be in them. Allowing and truly endorsing (as part of our culture) part time work though can keep more women in tech.

Who in their right mind would argue with these?

Old 08-08-2017, 04:14 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
From the article which most didn't bother to read:

Non-discriminatory ways to reduce the gender gap

Women on average show a higher interest in people and men in things
We can make software engineering more people-oriented with pair programming and more collaboration. Unfortunately, there may be limits to how people-oriented certain roles and Google can be and we shouldn’t deceive ourselves or students into thinking otherwise (some of our programs to get female students into coding might be doing this).

Women on average are more cooperative
Allow those exhibiting cooperative behavior to thrive. Recent updates to Perf may be doing this to an extent, but maybe there’s more we can do. This doesn’t mean that we should remove all competitiveness from Google. Competitiveness and self reliance can be valuable traits and we shouldn’t necessarily disadvantage those that have them, like what’s been done in education. Women on average are more prone to anxiety. Make tech and leadership less stressful. Google already partly does this with its many stress reduction courses and benefits.

Women on average look for more work-life balance while men have a higher drive for status on average
Unfortunately, as long as tech and leadership remain high status, lucrative careers, men may disproportionately want to be in them. Allowing and truly endorsing (as part of our culture) part time work though can keep more women in tech.

Who in their right mind would argue with these?
Probably half the population lol.

In general, when it comes to on average what women want in the workplace, men are probably not the best spokespersons for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies