Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 12:53 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
How is it "controversial" that men, as a whole, are more driven towards status than women are?

I don't get it.
Maybe because you took a 10 page manifesto and you picked out only 1 point from it? ...... let me ask you, do you think it's controversial to tell your boss, "The average woman is neurotic and can't handle stress well" if that person is a woman? What about telling your boss, who's black, "Most black people are uneducated" (technically degree attainment is lower)? To me, this is the controversial part. Seems simple to me... even if true, it's ill-advised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 12:54 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You haven't read the memo, and he's definitely not a conservative. You'd know that if you read the memo. Is it too much trouble for you to try to know what you're talking about? Here it is:

https://medium.com/@Cernovich/full-j...es-339f3d2d05f
I've read it. i still don't see what he said that makes you think he is a "liberal."

Would you kindly point it out for me? Or is that too much work for you?

Old 08-09-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Again fair. Compared to, say, my company, which has right around the same number of employees as Google, there is a far broader range of perspectives and worldviews that are part of the culture. People here aren't actively discouraged from any particular viewpoint, as is done at Google (source: I have a friend who works in a division of Alphabet).

[Doesn't mean it's a good idea to post up your personal cultural, social, and political views for all to see, of course.]

I think the world at large should realize this about this company.
ITA. The valley in general, is pretty ageist and intolerant of different backgrounds and ideas.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:56 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
And for what?
Speaking truths. Starting conversations.

I'm not saying his firing wasn't justified.
Quote:
...hateful comments...
You're so full of it I hardly know why I'm bothering.
Quote:
It couldn't be more obvious he is a conservative.
So a true classical liberal, someone who values free expression and the marketplace of ideas, wouldn't ever be concerned about a monoculture echo-chamber? You seem to have a child-like, one-dimensional view of sociopolitical philosophies.

Sometimes I forget why I put a particular person on Ignore previously, but not with you.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:58 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why would anybody care about gender or race at work?
Didn't the broflake in question pen 10 pages making it clear that he cared a lot?
Quote:
Women, on average, have more: Neuroticism (higher anxiety, lower stress tolerance).
Those are his words, correct? And if he (and you) can't see why this is a problem, try imagining being a woman assigned to a project with this guy. Will he assume you're neurotic, will he treat you like you're hired to meet a ratio (that's the implication in his manifesto) or will he try to convey that you meet with his approval, you're not like those others? Because none of those are really beneficial for a good working relationship.

Not that his reasoning matters overly much - write a manifesto about your company's hiring culture being all wrong, and you're very likely to get a suggestion to seek employment with an employer that is more aligned with your values.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:01 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Different viewpoint? A viewpoint that espouses sexism and hate should be tolerated at work?
WTF? You cons are some scary people.
Oh right. Anything that the left disagrees with is hate speech. We forgot. Our bad.

Just a hint: refusing to discuss these issues, and shrieking "sexist" and "hate speech" every time someone voices their opinion in an attempt to open up the discussion, means NOTHING WILL EVER CHANGE.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Didn't the broflake in question pen 10 pages making it clear that he cared a lot? Those are his words, correct? And if he (and you) can't see why this is a problem, try imagining being a woman assigned to a project with this guy. Will he assume you're neurotic, will he treat you like you're hired to meet a ratio (that's the implication in his manifesto) or will he try to convey that you meet with his approval, you're not like those others? Because none of those are really beneficial for a good working relationship.

Not that his reasoning matters overly much - write a manifesto about your company's hiring culture being all wrong, and you're very likely to get a suggestion to seek employment with an employer that is more aligned with your values.
Oh I totally agree with you that he should've been fired. Like I said in my earlier comment, putting out "truths" without recognizing the context of the situation is very ill-advised.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:09 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Just a hint: refusing to discuss these issues, and shrieking "sexist"...
The manifesto is by definition sexist. You may argue that it's justified in being so, of course.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:10 PM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Maybe because you took a 10 page manifesto and you picked out only 1 point from it? ...... let me ask you, do you think it's controversial to tell your boss, "The average woman is neurotic and can't handle stress well" if that person is a woman? What about telling your boss, who's black, "Most black people are uneducated" (technically degree attainment is lower)? To me, this is the controversial part. Seems simple to me... even if true, it's ill-advised.
I thought he was responding to a series of accusations of sexism leveled towards Google based on the existence of a gender disparity in the composition of its employees.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:17 PM

18,557 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Didn't the broflake in question pen 10 pages making it clear that he cared a lot? Those are his words, correct? And if he (and you) can't see why this is a problem, try imagining being a woman assigned to a project with this guy. Will he assume you're neurotic, will he treat you like you're hired to meet a ratio (that's the implication in his manifesto) or will he try to convey that you meet with his approval, you're not like those others?
LOL. Welcome to the real world. Everyone stereotypes, and everyone is subjected to stereotypes. It's unavoidable and to be expected in every interaction. You'd have to be really neurotic () to have any concern about interacting with this guy based on what's in the memo, which simply shows that he's aware of stereotypes that anyone else you worked with would probably share.

And there's no reason to think the stereotype would carry more weight than the observation of an individual's traits.

Also, nice job of commenting on something you didn't read or understand. The memo was intended to help Google attract female employees in a way that would not imply they were unqualified. As it is, the company's current policy *is* to hire women just to "meet a ratio".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies