Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 03:19 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,594,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I'm curious. What does "cis" mean? No I didn't read the article. I am still reeling from the former Planned Parenthood worker who was on TV tonight. I still feel sick to my stomach. Can't take much more of this PC crap. I am getting the idea this professor is a total nut job from the other posts here. Considering professors are some of the highest paid people in America you would think colleges and universities could find better people to teach. Parents certainly have to pay enough to deserve normal thinking professors.
in college CIS(Computer Information Science/Systems) is a major track

cis is a fairly general term for IT people usually, basically she is speaking out against the people that created the Internet as we know it today(mostly white males who were into technology from the 1960s-1990s as the modern Internet is a derivative of the ARPANET project started in 1969). Basically she is being racist against this group, however a large population of IT workers are Indian and se asian these days already anyhow, which maskes her look more silly than she already does :

This is simply more hypocrisy from the left(yes it looks clear that Hawaii is pretty liberal) If another prof came out and said we need to stop hiring IT workers of Asian descent there would be all kinds of hate speech coming from the left.

Last edited by tripleh; 08-08-2017 at 03:27 AM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 03:23 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post

cis is a fairly general term for IT people usually, basically she is speaking out against the people that created the Internet as we know it today(mostly white males who were into technology from the 1960s-1990s as the modern Internet is a derivative of the ARPANET project started in 1969). Basically she is being racist against this group, however a large population of IT works are Indian and se asian these days already anyhow.

This is simply more hypocrisy from the left(yes it looks clear that Hawaii is pretty liberal) If another prof came out and said we need to stop hiring IT workers of Asian decent there would be all kinds of hate speech coming from the left.
Is this your final answer?

Old 08-08-2017, 03:30 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,842,552 times
Quote:
Hawaii prof demands that colleges ‘stop hiring white cis men’
Someone needs their screws tightened.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:53 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,071,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I'm curious. What does "cis" mean? No I didn't read the article. I am still reeling from the former Planned Parenthood worker who was on TV tonight. I still feel sick to my stomach. Can't take much more of this PC crap. I am getting the idea this professor is a total nut job from the other posts here. Considering professors are some of the highest paid people in America you would think colleges and universities could find better people to teach. Parents certainly have to pay enough to deserve normal thinking professors.
Tripleh was not providing the right context for the term "cis."

Cis is a prefix that means "on the same side as," whereas trans is a prefix that means "on the opposite side of." I know these terms are commonly used in organic chemistry to distinguish between two molecules with the same chemical formula, but differ in orientation across a double bond, as they can't rotate.

So in the whole transgender discussion, "cisgender" simply means that biological sex and gender identity match, whereas they do not for transgender people.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:08 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Thoughts?

Considering this and numerous other insane statements by so-called academics, it is clearly not very difficult to become a professor. Slightly more difficult than shift manager at McDs.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:11 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,594,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Tripleh was not providing the right context for the term "cis."

Cis is a prefix that means "on the same side as," whereas trans is a prefix that means "on the opposite side of." I know these terms are commonly used in organic chemistry to distinguish between two molecules with the same chemical formula, but differ in orientation across a double bond, as they can't rotate.

So in the whole transgender discussion, "cisgender" simply means that biological sex and gender identity match, whereas they do not for transgender people.

perhaps not, but for such comparisons, i thought pro and anti were used.

In all fairness I declined to read the article on the basis that the subject was too stupid. I dont support the phrase "gender identity" to start with so Im pretty happy with my decision.

shrug.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:39 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,255,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
WTF is a white CIS male?
Most likely, Ms. Harron's husband, Robert Harron.

Apparently, UH Mānoa's Department of Mathematics wanted Robert Harron so much that they gave his wife a job as well.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:15 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,519,632 times
Quote:
perhaps not, but for such comparisons, i thought pro and anti were used.

In all fairness I declined to read the article on the basis that the subject was too stupid. I dont support the phrase "gender identity" to start with so Im pretty happy with my decision.

shrug.
Its not pro or anti. Cis is referring to males or females that are "normal, not trans, regular males or females" trans refers to people who are born with the genitalia/secondary sex characteristics/chromosomes of one sex but believe they are the other sex. (Note...using the word normal to denote that people that make up the huge majority are the norm. Not as as insult to trans people).

Old 08-08-2017, 03:54 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
Quote:

cis is a fairly general term for IT people usually, basically she is speaking out against the people that created the Internet as we know it today(mostly white males who were into technology from the 1960s-1990s as the modern Internet is a derivative of the ARPANET project started in 1969). Basically she is being racist against this group, however a large population of IT workers are Indian and se asian these days already anyhow, which maskes her look more silly than she already does :

This is simply more hypocrisy from the left(yes it looks clear that Hawaii is pretty liberal) If another prof came out and said we need to stop hiring IT workers of Asian descent there would be all kinds of hate speech coming from the left.
My husband repaired computers starting in 1966 and worked until 2010. I have heard IT but have never heard CIS before. I was taught in accounting class never to abbreviate because it causes confusion and can be misunderstood, especially on a public forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies