Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 01:33 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,511,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMind View Post
Where do you get that there is prejudice against whites? Indians/Chinese don't benefit from affirmative action; AA hurts their chances. Whites (well established, wealthier ones at least) can potentially benefit from legacy admissions that recent immigrants can take advantage of. Furthermore, communication skills are always an asset in any workplace, so Americans have a leg up because they speak english as their first language
Because I've had discussions with a few who are willing to admit it. I'd say more, but I need my job and will plead the fifth. To prove to yourself, go on any major research university website, look up faculty research groups, look at the people in the group and draw your own conclusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 01:35 PM

18,544 posts, read 7,294,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Like what?

I am a legal immigrant. What special treatment is there? I'd love to take advantage of it.
You are. You're living in a wonderland created by others. You're living off of the positive externalities they created.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:35 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,147,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
It's more than the (East Asian & Indian) Legal Immigrants merely valuing education. Many of these kids truly don't have a life. & it's more than "encouraging good grades and study habits".....their studies and life are Structured from the time they get up to the time they go to bed. Also, they have organized study groups (taught by parents & VERY organized).

It's been good for my kid. (to be in a fast academic crowd) & also not good (the balance that he enjoyed....sports, friends, family vacations, etc.) put him academically at a disadvantage.

Some American Children are "coddled" (but definitely not all of them). Some go to schools (& have parents) that have low expectations (& the kids study just hard enough to get by & pass) & some (like my kid) have parents who try provide balance. The question (that I always struggled with) is what IS the best balance between a having a life and also having academic success??
Balance is definitely a tough issue. In the case of your children specifically, and parents like you - I think the academic disadvantage could be "cancelled" out by the definite social advantage. Even smart kids need to be able to function in society.

While a PP noted genetic differences in IQ - and I'm not denying that - there is more to it than that.

I support curtailing illegal immigration. We have laws for a reason. But I don't believe there is a conscious effort of our educational systems to assist certain immigrants over others. It is their culture that is at the root of their academic success. In fact, I would argue that "no student left behind" and the current "soft" education system, in addition to parents that coddle and don't value education are far more of a problem.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:38 PM

15,581 posts, read 10,310,046 times
Aren't legal immigrants Americans and their children Americans?

It is great these legal immigrant kids and children of Green card holders are so smart! I wish them great success in America for a lifetime.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
They'd have a lot more fun and success if they weren't being forced to compete in a rat race with Asian grinds.
Exactly.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
So the white kids are "having more fun" while the immigrants are getting ahead on merit?
No, getting ahead by virtue of warped priorities.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:40 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,323,382 times
My father is an immigrant. I am first generation on his side... multi-generations "in" on my mother's side.

I should be praising this article, but there's a whole lot of these coming out recently which are essentially back-handed insults of Americans whose families have been here for a long time. Immigration is both positive (when the people who come here DO work and DO contribute) and negative (the welfare shoppers whose contributions will never exceed what they take out of the welfare system).

Interestingly, I notice many who write these kinds of articles denigrating native-born Americans are the same types who themselves seem to have eschewed a technical career in science or math to write entertainment or social policy/commentary articles...or study "art."

In other words, they are precisely the types who live off the fat of American cultural largess, while the immigrants take the technical jobs. I suppose the more immigrants come to actually do the type of work necessary to create economic value, the more they can make a career writing articles about their own uselessness and redundancy.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMind View Post
Walk into any tech company or research facility in the past two decades. They are immigrant heavy. The people designing your phones, prescription medicine, GPS, and all of the little things people take for granted that have come out in the last 20 years were heavily influenced by immigrants
And that is a good thing? There's no reason to think Americans wouldn't have done a better job than their replacements seeing as how Americans like Noyce and Kilby and Shockley invented were the ones with the creativity to create the whole thing in the first place.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:43 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,323,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You are. You're living in a wonderland created by others. You're living off of the positive externalities they created.

This is an interesting perspective.

There are many immigrants who view themselves as superior to the "native" population.

But those same people forget that they/their parents came here IN THE FIRST PLACE because wherever they were originally from did not afford the opportunity they found in America. American culture, laws and institutions make it a magnet for risk takers, entrepreneurs and educated folks. SOMETHING about America made them choose HERE vs. anywhere else, no? Otherwise, why be here? Why not go somewhere else or stay "at home?"

If you are an immigrant...always remember that. Someday your descendants will be lumped in with the "lazy, underperforming kids" being outshined by people who come to live here because of what was built by you and your predecessors.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:48 PM

6,916 posts, read 3,909,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
Yeah but I guarantee you natural born American white kids are having a helluva lot more fun in life than foreigners
And that will catch up with them when it is time to actually face life without Mommy and Daddy footing the bills for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies