Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 03:35 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Not in my world.

The owners of a good or service have every right to deny the fruits of their labor to anyone based on any reason.

Anything less is slavery.
At least you're not a hypocrite!

Old 08-08-2017, 03:38 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
There is no protection for "viewpoint bias."

Everyone has conflicting views and everyone has biases against other people. The laws of this country and FHA laws in particular since they were the topic of conversation, are specific to certain situations and certain "protected classes." Everyone is not protected for everything they say or do. And businesses have the right to follow their own policies, which must be written in accordance with state, local, and federal laws. AirBnB hasn't broken any Fair Housing Laws with their actions. They based their actions on their internal nondiscrimination policy, which every user of their platform - both guests and hosts, must acknowledge when they sign up for an account.

I use AirBnB often and like the service but with any service like theirs, you have to follow their rules. Again, same as here on CD. If you break the TOC of the site they can ban you.
You are strawman arguing. I never said view point was protected. I said viewpoint discriminating and blacklisting is a bad road to go down and would allow for most everyone to be discriminated against and blacklisted. You would not be okay with BnB discriminating against Democrats for one example.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:39 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
At least you're not a hypocrite!
It's the only thing you have in this world...your principles.

Once I realized that statism and forced association/collectivism was the root of all conflict it was very liberating to dump it.

Since my transformation I have never come across a problem that couldn't be solved by asking myself two simple questions:

1. Is the non-aggression principle being upheld? If not, who broke it?

2. Are private property rights being respected? (which is an extension of #1)

Old 08-08-2017, 03:45 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The law can't be religiously neutral if it requires them to violate a fundamental religious belief.

You're basically arguing that there is a free speech neutral law governing commercial activity requiring commercial bakers to make KKK cakes. The bakers weren't discriminating on the basis of 'sexual orientation" but same-sex marriage violating their religious beliefs.
Sure it can. The Smith case, dealing with employment termination and the sacramental use of peyote, was exactly an instance of a religiously neutral law that burdens religious exercise. https://supreme.justia.com/cases/fed.../872/case.html

There is no anti-discrimination law protecting the KKK. A baker is free to refuse to bake such a cake.

If the baker will provide a cake to any couple but a gay one, then they are discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation. The same arguments were made about racial segregation. They were wrong then, and they are wrong now.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:55 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Sure it can. The Smith case, dealing with employment termination and the sacramental use of peyote, was exactly an instance of a religiously neutral law that burdens religious exercise. https://supreme.justia.com/cases/fed.../872/case.html

There is no anti-discrimination law protecting the KKK. A baker is free to refuse to bake such a cake.

If the baker will provide a cake to any couple but a gay one, then they are discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation. The same arguments were made about racial segregation. They were wrong then, and they are wrong now.
Employees are not private business owners. The bakers were discriminating against serving for a gay marriage on religious grounds, not against orientation. Marital status is is not protected, but religion and free speech is.

You seem to think gay marriage trumps all other rights and protections.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:15 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Employees are not private business owners. The bakers were discriminating against serving for a gay marriage on religious grounds, not against orientation. Marital status is is not protected, but religion and free speech is.

It's a place of public accommodation. It still counts.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:33 PM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
If the company believes that a guest or host, per their non-discrimination policy is biased against others based on race, gender, sexual orientation, etc., they can ban them from their platform.

Same as here on CD the mods can ban people based on their not conforming to the TOCs of this site even though we live in a country where we have "freedom of speech." This freedom does not always apply in the private sector or with certain organizations.
"Joining Airbnb, as a host or guest, means becoming part of a community of inclusion. Bias, prejudice, racism, and hatred have no place on our platform or in our community.
"

What did that they do within the ABB platform or community that was biased or not inclusive?

I am not falling for the interpretation of this policy as anything but what it says. There is no mention of spying on customers outside of the platform, and following activities elsewhere to form a conclusion about an individual, when it has nothing to do with your activities on ABB and may very well be false or misunderstood. What the company is doing is bullying people.

I don't know much about this rally but it appears to be an attempt to unite people with right wing beliefs, and there may be some white pride types there but it is hardly a kkk rally. It sounds like a freedom rally, nothing new there, there are only problems if antifa shows up in their masks to attack people.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:07 PM

20,106 posts, read 9,018,880 times
I'm a Airbnb host, I discriminate all the time. I won't rent to anyone under 25, dogs, too many guests wanting to rent, motorcycles. It's my house, not the guests, and not Airbnb's.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:22 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:

The applicable laws (state & federal anti-discrimination laws) apply to employment and to "public accommodation"--basically, businesses open to the public. The baker (business, open to the public) discriminated against customer on the basis of sexual orientation. The baker asserts that he discriminated because of his religious beliefs. The applicable law, however, is a state anti-discrimination law that protects against discrimination on the basis of sex. The baker is asking to be exempt from the law because of religion. That is a bad idea and the courts should reject it.

I think that nondiscrimination laws should apply to all public accommodations. There should not be an exemption because of a business owner's claimed religious need to discriminate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I'm a Airbnb host, I discriminate all the time. I won't rent to anyone under 25, dogs, too many guests wanting to rent, motorcycles. It's my house, not the guests, and not Airbnb's.
None of those are protected classes. If you were to discriminate on the basis of race, however, you would be in violation of your terms of service with AirBNB (and quite possibly state & federal anti-discrimination law).

Old 08-08-2017, 05:37 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
If you were to discriminate on the basis of race, however, you would be in violation of your terms of service with AirBNB (and quite possibly state & federal anti-discrimination law).
And how about if a little old lady has a room she'd like to rent out? Is she allowed to choose the person who lives in her home?

It shouldn't be a matter of that room becoming, in a way, community property so that whoever wants it can move right in and she loses the ability to choose the renter. If it were like that, who would ever offer a room for rent? Probably no one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies