Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:53 AM

37,767 posts, read 40,889,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
A new government report is being published to show the devastating impact climate change is having and will have the US. The NYT's has obtained a draft copy. Fear is that the Trump Administration will suppress the report.
BUT, BUT, not 10 minutes ago I just read that federal employees can't use the expression "climate change" anymore. Which is it?

"US federal department is censoring use of term 'climate change', emails reveal. Exclusive: series of emails show staff at Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service advised to reference ‘weather extremes’ instead. "

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...sorship-emails

Old 08-08-2017, 11:47 AM

5,037 posts, read 2,248,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Some truth for the political Right: accepting AGW doesn't necessarily mean higher taxes and redistribution of wealth. It may simply mean that we replace coal power plants with nuclear plants. There are new nuclear reactor designs that are smaller, cheaper, and safer than traditional reactors.

Some truth for the political Left: solar and wind aren't very economical (you need large numbers of wind turbines and solar panels to produce meaningful amounts of power) and they must be backed up with natural gas power plants for times when the sun isn't shining and the wind isn't blowing. We are going to need nuclear power if we want to make meaningful reductions in CO2 emissions without breaking the bank.
We're probably as likely to die from Fukishima as climate change. https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/1...-disaster.html

Here's another recent article that says Japan will purposely release waste into the Pacific, claiming that tritium is "relatively harmless" to humans in small doses. This is in addition to the continually leaking radioactive water entering the ocean since the disaster. https://www.google.com/amp/www.newsw...637108%3famp=1

Last edited by swilliamsny; 08-08-2017 at 11:59 AM..

Old 08-08-2017, 12:25 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,383,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
BUT, BUT, not 10 minutes ago I just read that federal employees can't use the expression "climate change" anymore. Which is it?

"US federal department is censoring use of term 'climate change', emails reveal. Exclusive: series of emails show staff at Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service advised to reference ‘weather extremes’ instead. "

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...sorship-emails

The report was released because the scientists involved feared that the Trump Administration would suppress it or change it to for political ends.

The censoring of the name "climate change" is a part of the war that the Trump Administration is waging against climate science and their on-going efforts to politicize it.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:39 PM

33,512 posts, read 37,049,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Believe me, I respect your opinion, but we've been through this before. I remember in the 1970's the scientific community, the media, and government said we'd be in a ICE AGE if we didn't do something.
You couldn't be more wrong...Science did not predict an ice age in the 70's....1970s ice age predictions were media based. The majority of peer reviewed research at the time predicted warming due to increasing CO2.
Quote:
There are scientists, and scientific arguments that carbon (CO2) is not harmful to the environment.
There were also a few scientists (paid by auto manufacturers) that argued that lead in gasoline was not harmful, and remember the tobacco lobby hired and paid scientists to deny that tobacco was neither harmful or addictive...In this case it was the fossil fuel industry that paid large amounts of money to start the climate change denial movement.
Quote:
To tax us more, and more, and further limit our use of fossil fuels is not practical.
Carbon tax is a great tool if done correctly... https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...ticle19512237/
Quote:
"Alternative" sources of energy are neither plentiful, are expensive, and can in no way replace fossil fuels, now, or in the foreseeable future.
You need to keep up....Green energy is now the cheapest available by far... https://cleantechnica.com/2017/01/22...-low-too-high/

Old 08-08-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Most won't remember, but they changed the name to suit the needs...global cooling, global warming, and now we have climate change...encompasses everything....
The term climate change preceded the term global warming, but they describe two different, but related things...The planet is warming, and this is causing the climate to change.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
This summer is turning out to be one of the coolest summers in recent years... oppss...
Yeah, in your back yard maybe... With the first six months of 2017 in the books, average global surface temperatures so far this year are 0.94°C above the 1950–1980 average, according to NASA. That makes 2017 the second-hottest first six calendar months on record, behind only 2016.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...global-warming

Old 08-08-2017, 02:37 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,050,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The report was released because the scientists involved feared that the Trump Administration would suppress it or change it to for political ends.
I don't believe that at all. They could have waited to leak this version until after the report was finalized, doctored and/or they were not allowed to release it if that was true.

Who allowed them to work on the report?

Old 08-08-2017, 02:51 PM

18,461 posts, read 9,099,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
We're probably as likely to die from Fukishima as climate change. https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/1...-disaster.html

Here's another recent article that says Japan will purposely release waste into the Pacific, claiming that tritium is "relatively harmless" to humans in small doses. This is in addition to the continually leaking radioactive water entering the ocean since the disaster. https://www.google.com/amp/www.newsw...637108%3famp=1
Yes, nuclear power has serious risks.

There are new nuclear reactor designs that are intended to be "inherently safe", i.e. they can't melt down if they overheat. Or at least that's the idea. I am not a nuclear engineer so I'm not qualified to comment on the safety of said designs.

Unfortunately, at this point in history nuclear power is the only economical & scalable source of CO2-free energy (other than hydro; most of the good spots are already taken). Wind and solar won't reduce CO2 very much until we have batteries capable of cheaply storing gigawatt hours of electricity. The Fukushima disaster couldn't have come at a worse time, from a climate change perspective.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:27 PM

25,794 posts, read 16,443,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
You're never going to convince this crowd.

I haven't gotten to read the report yet, but it doesn't sound good. Amazing that this has become a partisan issue. It saddens me what we're leaving the next generation to deal with.
Al Gore said my climate would be more like southern Illinois by now (Minnesota) its gotten colder on average since he made that ridiculous claI'm.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:51 PM

19,707 posts, read 10,047,505 times
Coolest August in many years here. I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies