Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 09:07 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times

Advertisements

It's benefitted Republicans more. Before Twitter and FB, the Fake Stream Media had full control of speech in America and it acted as an arm of the Dem Party to promote Dem interests and power. Now people like President Trump can completely bypass the Media Gestapo.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:08 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
No, I don't think it's benefited one party more.

Google leans left? Great for Google and the left I guess. Go to Reddit and check out the r/donald section. Or just 4chan as a whole. Or Breitbart. Or this forum.

It's a ridiculous question because the internet is so vast and diverse that to suggest that it's even possible to actually determine if it's benefited one party more.
You don't have a personal opinion?

Old 08-08-2017, 09:10 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
You don't have a personal opinion?
What the **** are you talking about?

I gave you my opinion. Since it was mine, it was a personal one. There's really no such thing as an impersonal opinion, is there?

My opinion is that it's not benefited one side more. I can't make that more clear than I already have.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:10 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
I think its simply sped up trends and amped up the tin foil hat and kool aid drinking brigades.

I think in the most recent election Trump's team (specifically Cambridge Analytical who originally worked for Cruz) did the best job of targeting their likely supporters and feeding them a steady stream of information. In 08 and 12 Obama used the internet to basically fundraise everyone else into oblivion without having to do as many in person fundraisers.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:35 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
What the **** are you talking about?

I gave you my opinion. Since it was mine, it was a personal one. There's really no such thing as an impersonal opinion, is there?

My opinion is that it's not benefited one side more. I can't make that more clear than I already have.
relax.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:00 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Today he re-tweeted a story that had been leaked to FOX News! I must admit that I laughed, even though it's really not funny, because there was something so poetic about it.

As for which group benefited more from the internet, I could not possibly weigh in on that question with any sort of credibility. The internet has been around since the very early nineties. Lots of groups have used it to ends both good and bad.
The wide world web has been around since 1989/1990. The origins of the internet goes back to the early 1970s with the arpanet so networking is much older than most of the general public thinks it is.

As to who has benefited the most of the jury is still "out" on that question.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:13 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
In all honesty, I think it's benefitted teen age girls more than anybody else. They can hate each other from a distance and make it stick.
There's a myth that says teen age girls are all "sugar and spice and everything nice". Bull
They are demonic eating machines with Iphones.

I have two granddaughters.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:18 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Actually it has benefited anarchists like myself. Real anarchists, not your definition.

I've been exposed to more material on anarchy than I could ever imagine 25 years ago.
It's also benefited Stormfront and that crowd too, though.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:49 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The wide world web has been around since 1989/1990. The origins of the internet goes back to the early 1970s with the arpanet so networking is much older than most of the general public thinks it is.

As to who has benefited the most of the jury is still "out" on that question.
Thanks for correcting my terminology. The public face of the internet, the world wide web, debuted in 1991. I remember using it regularly just a few years later. It wasn't anything like it is today, of course, but it was an extraordinary leap forward, and I don't think it's an exaggeration to say the world was never the same.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:35 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
Okay, so you think it hasn't benefited one party more than the other?

I mean, look at the major leading websites such as google, facebook, etc. They are left leaning and very influential.

How is it a ridiculous question?
Well, now that's interesting. My housemate is very conservative, and she gets virtually all of her news from FOX news and linked items on Facebook. There are just as many hard-core right-wingers on there as there are lefties, and most of them like and share stuff without ever considering the source or even reading the article. The just look at the headline and pull the trigger, sending it on to everyone on their friends list.

I love the internet, but politically, I think it has divided us as a nation, because it's made it possible to seek out and read only things that reinforce what people already believe, without ever seeing a conflicting opinion, and I think that is equally true for liberals and conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies