Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 12:16 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,896,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Maybe there is a recent HS graduate
If you think college kids are bad, just wait until you get a hold of the HS grads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 12:17 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Definitive:

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...and-employment

Old 08-08-2017, 12:17 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Then pay what the job pays in your area. You might have gotten better candidates had you done that.
I am paying what everyone else pays in the area. Actually a bit more but thanks.

This is for one kid. NY area (suburbs of NYC). I do not see any rates in the US that are over 20 bucks an hour for 1 kid, do you? Also, this is not a nanny position. Its not supposed to be a living. Just babysitting for extra cash.

Babysitter rates in the most expensive US cities - Business Insider

Old 08-08-2017, 12:18 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wow. That's low. What school?
Well, I'd rather not give out to much more information, really, but it is typical of our area in Northern Virginia. Even the engineers are only getting $25 per hour and that's from most of the schools in our area (I am still in touch with parents so I know what their kids are getting).

Old 08-08-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Well, I'd rather not give out to much more information, really, but it is typical of our area in Northern Virginia. Even the engineers are only getting $25 per hour and that's from most of the schools in our area (I am still in touch with parents so I know what their kids are getting).
So... not a high demand degree nor field, and not from a highly ranked school in that field.

Liberal Arts/BA degree. You get what you pay for. /shrug

"Would you like fries with that?"

Old 08-08-2017, 12:27 PM

33,342 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
No American college student is willing to work hard for $20.

So you'll have to lower your expectation on the quality of the work, give them more flexibility, or pay them $25 or more.
^^^^^ What a pathetic commentary on our society. I was brought up that you should always do your best. It is a matter of self respect.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:31 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
Quote:
So... not a high demand degree nor field, and not from a highly ranked school in that field.

Condescending.

My son seems to have several employers after him to start the security clearance process for next year so he's got a few job offers, but probably not as fabulous as Wisconsin apparently. I will let the University of Virginia and Virginia Tech students know that their schools are not highly ranked.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:32 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,896,291 times
Quote:

That is one why to eliminate some STEM grads. Give em heart disease.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
My son seems to have several employers after him to start the security clearance process for next year so he's got a few job offers, but probably not as fabulous as Wisconsin apparently.
Apparently, not. When you see companies flying your kid to their location to interview for just summer internships, get back to me.

Quote:
I will let the University of Virginia and Virginia Tech students know that their schools are not highly ranked.
VA Tech. Enough said.

And it's a BA degree, no?

Old 08-08-2017, 12:39 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
So I am interviewing College aged "kids" for after school care. Job is to pick up my son at school and watch him in my home for 2 hours a day Monday-Friday. Pay is 20 dollars an hour or 200 a week. To date, I have interviewed 3 American girls and 1 foreign girl (here on school visa)...

Interview 1 - age 19 - American

First, she asks how "flexible" the job is. When questioned on the meaning she says "well its a lot to expect me to be available everyday, what if something fun comes up and I want to go"... UMMMM. its a job! You are getting paid! The job was clearly posted as 5 days a week, 2 hours a day.. when the pay of 20 dollars an hour comes up she hesitates and says "well, i guess if I only have to look after THE 6 year old, I would not do any cooking, that would be extra"... next...

Interview 2 - age 22- American

When I ask her about school she states she has not graduated on time because it is "unreasonable" for colleges to expect students to take 5 classes a semester because it would "stress" her out. She takes 2 classes a day because it is much more manageable.
When I tell her the pay is 20 an hour, she tells me she would have to think about it because that pay seems kind of low and she was expecting more in the range of 25-30 an hour.... NEXT...

Interview 3- Age 20- Foreign student

Ahead in credits will graduate early.. taking summer classes. When I tell her about the pay she says "wow that is generous" and proceeds to state how she would be happy to do housework/tidying up as well for that pay. She has since texted me twice asking if she could come hang out with my son, for free, so he can get to know her and saying that she would really like the job.

Interview 4- age 20- American
Never showed up.
Oh wow!!! This says quite a bit about our society. I know that some are brought up right but goodness.
If it was one of my kids they would be excited and eager to do what they need to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies