Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:38 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I posted the job through the college employment services, college board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Are you comfortable with giving the job to what is essentially an "undocumented worker"?
Not for nothing, at least she was screened for her school visa.. what kind of reassurances would I get with the other 3?

Old 08-08-2017, 10:41 AM

35,683 posts, read 21,035,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
So I am interviewing College aged "kids" for after school care. Job is to pick up my son at school and watch him in my home for 2 hours a day Monday-Friday. Pay is 20 dollars an hour or 200 a week. To date, I have interviewed 3 American girls and 1 foreign girl (here on school visa)...

Interview 1 - age 19 - American

First, she asks how "flexible" the job is. When questioned on the meaning she says "well its a lot to expect me to be available everyday, what if something fun comes up and I want to go"... UMMMM. its a job! You are getting paid! The job was clearly posted as 5 days a week, 2 hours a day.. when the pay of 20 dollars an hour comes up she hesitates and says "well, i guess if I only have to look after THE 6 year old, I would not do any cooking, that would be extra"... next...

Interview 2 - age 22- American

When I ask her about school she states she has not graduated on time because it is "unreasonable" for colleges to expect students to take 5 classes a semester because it would "stress" her out. She takes 2 classes a day because it is much more manageable.
When I tell her the pay is 20 an hour, she tells me she would have to think about it because that pay seems kind of low and she was expecting more in the range of 25-30 an hour.... NEXT...

Interview 3- Age 20- Foreign student

Ahead in credits will graduate early.. taking summer classes. When I tell her about the pay she says "wow that is generous" and proceeds to state how she would be happy to do housework/tidying up as well for that pay. She has since texted me twice asking if she could come hang out with my son, for free, so he can get to know her and saying that she would really like the job.

Interview 4- age 20- American
Never showed up.
pretty typical-
Our college kids - think all is fun-- I saw the segment of how colleges now look like country clubs/ resorts- not schools- all geared to party not learn. Surprising any American gals came at all- we gave them a bad view of life

Old 08-08-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
OK. What is your point then? Are you saying American kids in this age group are lazy or are you just sharing a story?

I never assumed you were a scientist. I was just being snarky.
yes, that was my point. The 3 American college kids I interviewed (well one did not show) were exactly as they are stereotyped to be. It was really eye opening.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:42 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
yes, that was my point. The 3 American college kids I interviewed (well one did not show) were exactly as they are stereotyped to be. It was really eye opening.
Based on these interviews do you believe the majority of American college age kids are like this?

Old 08-08-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Sounds a lot like how my ex-GF's niece (starting sophomore) would have been had you interviewed her. She was a minor social media celeb (just like all her friends) before the end of high school. She'd be doing you a favor and would let you know about it even though the two hours per day would mainly consist of her being glued to her phone. She'd also strand your son once or twice before you fired her. But don't worry, her self-esteem (ego) is sky high even though she hates everything.
ha! Maybe one was your ex-GF's niece!! I could just see the first applicant just not picking my son up and stranding him at school and when I called her flippantly saying "sorry, something came up, so what?" LOL..

Old 08-08-2017, 10:43 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Should have advertised for those enrolled in MS13 academy.
No doubt they would be interested in the job. They understand child care.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Based on these interviews do you believe the majority of American college age kids are like this?
Well right now American college kids are 3 for 3! Does not bode well, even with the small sample size.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:45 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,035,584 times
Quote:
Not for nothing, at least she was screened for her school visa.. what kind of reassurances would I get with the other 3?
You wouldn't do some sort of background check on a childcare provider?

Old 08-08-2017, 10:46 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Should have advertised for those enrolled in MS13 academy.
No doubt they would be interested in the job.
They would kill for the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies