Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 03:27 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post

What happened to getting up early, doing chores, walking to school, walking home and finishing homework, helping clean up after dinner, and cleaning up around the house?
So you can keep trump-eting here??

Old 08-08-2017, 03:32 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
When I was a boy, I also had to walk up hill to school both ways. In the snow. With nothing but socks.

I know of no teens or twenties like you describe.
You had socks? Rich kid

Old 08-08-2017, 03:33 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
You had socks? Rich kid
Well I was never a boy, so you have to take my whole post with a grain of salt.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:50 PM

776 posts, read 394,418 times
Quote:
walking to school, walking home
Fear of kidnapping happened, fear of peer pressure happened, CPS getting called on the parents happened, "Won't somebody please think of the children!" happened, Columbine happened, increasingly totalitarian schools happened, increasing restrictions on dropping out of school and employment happened.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:01 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
Fear of kidnapping happened, fear of peer pressure happened, CPS getting called on the parents happened, "Won't somebody please think of the children!" happened, Columbine happened, increasingly totalitarian schools happened, increasing restrictions on dropping out of school and employment happened.
Ha! I live smack dab in the middle of Columbine High School, Arapahoe High School, and the Aurora theater where the mass shooting happened. My kids started walking to school in elementary (as do most of the kids with neighborhood schools in our district), and the middle and high schools have a two-mile walk zone. My kids' high school has an open campus. Try again.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:24 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Does anybody else just want to shove a bar or soap in their mouth, give them a lawnmower to mow the lawn with, and a swift kick in the rear? Geez they infuriate me with their expectations, and entitlement, and genuine thought that the world was created with "everything Ok.

What happened to getting up early, doing chores, walking to school, walking home and finishing homework, helping clean up after dinner, and cleaning up around the house? And being thankful you had a house to clean up? Get off the dang iphones!!!
You appear to need a true sense of purpose.

Kindly suggest you get a hobby or a job.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:46 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,658 times
Quote:
Does anybody else just want to shove a bar or soap in their mouth, give them a lawnmower to mow the lawn with, and a swift kick in the rear? Geez they infuriate me with their expectations, and entitlement, and genuine thought that the world was created with "everything Ok.

What happened to getting up early, doing chores, walking to school, walking home and finishing homework, helping clean up after dinner, and cleaning up around the house? And being thankful you had a house to clean up? Get off the dang iphones!!!
Get a life. You sound like somebody's angry grandpa (and I'm a grandma)
You are complaining about junior high kids.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:25 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
I love the "Yutes" reference.

Fred Gwynn in "My Cousin Vinny" talking to Joe Pesci.

What is a "Yute"?
OMG, this is one of my favorite movies and one of the funniest scenes ever. I laughed so hard the first time I saw it I peed my pants

Old 08-08-2017, 09:55 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Geez--have you been to Florida? You want to see a bunch of over-70s with attitude problems? You think only young people are obnoxious or have attitudes? That's ridiculous.

I like talking to younger people. It's interesting getting a fresh unjaded, unprejudiced perspective on the world. What I'm sick of is older people's tunnel vision or sense of self-entitlement just because they are old. The older people that I like thing young.

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

― Socrates

Old 08-09-2017, 07:25 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Ha! I live smack dab in the middle of Columbine High School, Arapahoe High School, and the Aurora theater where the mass shooting happened. My kids started walking to school in elementary (as do most of the kids with neighborhood schools in our district), and the middle and high schools have a two-mile walk zone. My kids' high school has an open campus. Try again.
IDK I think redguitar has a valid point. Security, restrictions or protocol on these things has changed over the years. Parents have to buzz in, in order to get inside the school, be on a list, show ID to sign a child out. Kids cant be unattended before or after school. Teachers walk them to the cars in the pick up line. They have lock downs anytime anything happens anywhere near the school.
There has also been many articles of child services being called for kids being outside in the yard unsupervised, home for 15 minutes alone, walking alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies