Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 03:34 PM

1,640 posts, read 787,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
It is extremely dangerous that you think globalization results from increased cooperativeness.

Globalization is a result of increasing CONCENTRATION OF POWER.

And it is the wimpification of our society that prevents you from seeing the danger. We are all so loving and so nice! We are one big happy world!

The liberal academic Steven Pinker says we keep on getting nicer, thanks to the decline of religion and traditional values, and increasing liberalism.

Yeah we are getting nicer, just like cows happily waiting to be slaughtered.
Are you speaking to corporate globalization? As far as concentration of power/money goes? I think I would agree with this. In that concentrated power, whether it is financial, education, science/technology, is ultimately responsible for globalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 03:34 PM

20,733 posts, read 9,351,006 times
Quote:
It is extremely dangerous that you think globalization results from increased cooperativeness.

Globalization is a result of increasing CONCENTRATION OF POWER.
I could not disagree more. If 1 nation restricts trade to itself, it is concentrating economic activity to itself. If it signs a trade agreement with 1 other nation, it is now opening up its economic activity to 2 nations (including itself). If 10 nations sign a trade agreement, they are sharing economic activity among those 10 nations. The more nations that freely share economic activity with each other, the more they're dispersing their economic activity, and the more they must cooperate with each other. When you're an island unto yourself, you do not really need to cooperate with anyone else. But when you're interdependent with 10 other nations, you MUST cooperate with them. Globalization = decentralization = interdependence = need for cooperation.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:38 PM

20,733 posts, read 9,351,006 times
Quote:
And it is the wimpification of our society that prevents you from seeing the danger. We are all so loving and so nice! We are one big happy world!

The liberal academic Steven Pinker says we keep on getting nicer, thanks to the decline of religion and traditional values, and increasing liberalism.

Yeah we are getting nicer, just like cows happily waiting to be slaughtered.
This entire attitude of yours is an increasing archaic and irrelevant macho attitude. It is simply not useful anymore. It worked fine in pre-industrial economies but is now largely irrelevant. Of course, your subconscious realization of this is why it makes you so angry and afraid.

In a modern society, being confrontational and other "macho" attributes is simply archaic. I would even say it's become counter-productive and even self-destructive.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:47 PM

16,276 posts, read 8,376,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
You miss woman who are feminine and ladies? You should look around better. Women are still feminine and "lady like" feminist never put down motherhood. We said you can do it all. Career and parenthood if that was our choice. We embrace and support all choice for women that doesn't make us less lady like
I didn't say they do not exist anymore, just that they are far less common.
I also pointed out how feminists (aka radicals whose primary concern is abortion rights and LGTB rights), will deride Ivanka Trumps wardrobe choices as not being empowering enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBEM50-a-yc

Only a liberal feminists radical could think such a thing.

`

Old 08-11-2017, 04:02 PM

1,640 posts, read 787,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
This entire attitude of yours is an increasing archaic and irrelevant macho attitude. It is simply not useful anymore. It worked fine in pre-industrial economies but is now largely irrelevant. Of course, your subconscious realization of this is why it makes you so angry and afraid.

In a modern society, being confrontational and other "macho" attributes is simply archaic. I would even say it's become counter-productive and even self-destructive.
Excellent posts. You make good points about required cooperation between nations for globalization and how these macho attitudes don't really have a place in modern society. Yet, they linger on. Very interesting. I'm reminded of all the conspiracy theories that exist today. Whether it's big Pharma hiding cancer cures or that Bush was responsible for 9/11.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:06 PM

8,189 posts, read 3,380,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm a female, non-violent and non-confrontational but I love movies with gratuitous violence, my favorite movie in the last few years? John Wick. My husband who is a retired marine who fought in Vietnam cries at movies and hates to watch any violent movies or TV shows.

When you use yourself or your group of friends to support your suppositions about a gender.. well, let's just say it doesn't usually work out very well.
You can find an exception to any generalization, if all you want is to argue.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post

A TRUE PROGRESSIVE. Non-diluted, 100 percent pure.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:09 PM

42,748 posts, read 25,952,044 times
Quote:
You can find an exception to any generalization, if all you want is to argue.
Generalizations aren't something upon which to base a theory. Sorry if you don't understand that.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:10 PM

Ya know, 007, it may be comforting to have such absolute certainty. But there is something to be said for looking at reality once in a while.

We are NOT on the star ship Enterprise.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:16 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,181,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I don't think he is saying that at all. It is more being genuine to who you are, and your natural make up, and not "pretending" to be something else. Men, and women are different and have different traits. No?
Yes they do. But then again within the male and female gender themselves, people have different traits, weaknesses, strengths, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies