Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 10:14 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times

Advertisements

Let's see: the rule of law..........or cheap lettuce.....................
Hmmmm.........hmm........what to choose..........what to choose........................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 10:24 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Let's see: the rule of law..........or cheap lettuce.....................
Hmmmm.........hmm........what to choose..........what to choose........................
Hmmm did the greedy corporate farm pass on the savings of using illegal labor????? Hmmmmmm I don't believe that they did.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:29 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
If we want to eat cheap American chicken, then we have to allow enough people to work in the chicken farms, wherever they may come from or what they look like or what language they speak.

Close the doors, and the chicken won't be cheap anymore, because no chicken ranch will grow more chicken than it can process.

So the price of chicken will go up. No chicken farmer wants to feed a chicken that won't make him a buck by never leaving the farm.

And that means all the cheap chicken will come from Mexico. It won't be as cheap, because it comes from Mexico, but it will still be cheaper than American chicken. If enough people want cheap chicken, then that means the American chicken farms will close up because no one wants to buy expensive American chicken.

And when the American farms close up, some smart Mexican chicken farmer will think- "Hey! I don't have to sell my chicken so cheap anymore! There's no American competition!" So the prices go up anyway in the end.

How many people do you know who have ever butchered a chicken in your life? How many folks do you know who are eager to go to work in a chicken house, butchering chickens, as a big upward career move?

I can do it. I've done it.
I grew up on a farm at a time when folks on farms still kept chickens and ate them after doing everything themselves. It isn't hard or complicated, but its nasty work any 10-year old can do. And doing a chicken once in a while isn't so bad, even though it is nasty. Home-grown lets you pick out the fattest one. Or the one who wants to peck a hole in your leg every time it sees you.

But I don't want to do it all day long, every day, day after day, year after year.

No thanks.

I would just as soon not have a life of daily chicken guts and feathers to look forward to. I can't even butcher one grown in my back yard where I live, because the city would make me get rid of a chicken coop.

But there are people out there, beyond our borders who would, willingly and happily. It sure beats anything they have now.

So it's our choice. Either pay more, kill 'em yourself, or allow someone else to do it for low wages. Which do you prefer?
I used to have to help butcher chickens and pluck them when I was a kid...never again. And you're right, no one wants to work in poultry processing plants, it's horrible work. It's all done on an ever moving assembly line that moves so fast that chickens go halfway through the process alive because someone down the line missed the kill. And poultry processing plants love undocumented workers, they don't complain, ask for time off & they will take $500 for an accident rather than filing a comp claim.

Some processing plants are hiring refugees, but they treat them as poorly as they do undocumented people & they leave as soon as they can. It's clear the people who have options will never work in these places.

"In a report issued last year called "No Relief," Oxfam charged that workers at the four largest U.S. poultry companies — Tyson Foods, Sanderson Farms, Perdue Farms and Pilgrim's Pride — are routinely denied bathroom breaks, forcing some to wear adult diapers to work and others to urinate on themselves in order to avoid retribution from supervisors."

The machine “literally ripped off his left leg,” medical reports said, leaving it hanging by a frayed ligament and a five-inch flap of skin. Osiel was rushed to Mercy Medical Center, where surgeons amputated his lower leg. He got the job at Case Farms with a driver’s license that said his name was Francisco Sepulveda, age twenty-eight. The photograph on the I.D. was of his older brother, who looked nothing like him, but nobody asked any questions. Back at the plant, Osiel’s supervisors hurriedly demanded workers’ identification papers... Within days, Osiel and several others—all underage and undocumented—were fired.

And you can bet that DHS under Trump will not be doing raids looking for "illegal immigrants" at Tyson chicken any time soon. Trump's deportation talk is just that - talk. Pick off a few people here and there and give a press release, then turn a blind eye to the corporations who hire, and want to keep hiring, the vast majority of undocumented people.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:07 PM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I used to have to help butcher chickens and pluck them when I was a kid...never again. And you're right, no one wants to work in poultry processing plants, it's horrible work. It's all done on an ever moving assembly line that moves so fast that chickens go halfway through the process alive because someone down the line missed the kill. And poultry processing plants love undocumented workers, they don't complain, ask for time off & they will take $500 for an accident rather than filing a comp claim.

Some processing plants are hiring refugees, but they treat them as poorly as they do undocumented people & they leave as soon as they can. It's clear the people who have options will never work in these places.

"In a report issued last year called "No Relief," Oxfam charged that workers at the four largest U.S. poultry companies — Tyson Foods, Sanderson Farms, Perdue Farms and Pilgrim's Pride — are routinely denied bathroom breaks, forcing some to wear adult diapers to work and others to urinate on themselves in order to avoid retribution from supervisors."

The machine “literally ripped off his left leg,” medical reports said, leaving it hanging by a frayed ligament and a five-inch flap of skin. Osiel was rushed to Mercy Medical Center, where surgeons amputated his lower leg. He got the job at Case Farms with a driver’s license that said his name was Francisco Sepulveda, age twenty-eight. The photograph on the I.D. was of his older brother, who looked nothing like him, but nobody asked any questions. Back at the plant, Osiel’s supervisors hurriedly demanded workers’ identification papers... Within days, Osiel and several others—all underage and undocumented—were fired.

And you can bet that DHS under Trump will not be doing raids looking for "illegal immigrants" at Tyson chicken any time soon. Trump's deportation talk is just that - talk. Pick off a few people here and there and give a press release, then turn a blind eye to the corporations who hire, and want to keep hiring, the vast majority of undocumented people.
WTF are you bitching about? You love the illegals.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:18 PM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Hmmm did the greedy corporate farm pass on the savings of using illegal labor????? Hmmmmmm I don't believe that they did.
This is true. I dont have the link now but I read where research shows if wages increase by a certain percentage for those picking crops it would not affect the price at the grocery store. That would tell me any money saved is going into the corporate farm pocket.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:48 PM

62,871 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
No, they didn't but what they did pass on to us are the social costs of their illegal workers. So that cheap produce isn't so cheap after all, is it?

Old 08-10-2017, 01:51 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
You tell the prisoners if they want an inside, sheltered cell they work picking crops and they work hard. If they choose to not work you give them a tent and a sleeping bag and have them sleep outside inside a fenced in area with basic food and no perks.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
WTF are you bitching about? You love the illegals.

Yep, they are illegals not "undocumented" as the illegal loving poster constantly referred to them. E-verify is in Trump's 2018 budget so yes he is going after those who hire them.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
What happened to all the American's that would pick crops like in "The Grapes of Wrath"?
Um, we've come a long ways from the Grapes of Wrath era. Picking crops is not a career job for Americans today and is only seasonal work. However, there are unlimited visas for legal, foreign crop pickers.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:01 PM

There is nothing ethnophobic about wanting our immigration laws respected and enforced. The ethnocentrics are those who think their ethnic group is above our immigration laws, wants amnesty for them and open borders for their ethnic group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies