Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 05:53 PM

22,320 posts, read 11,835,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
The twisting is Republicans suddenly caring for human rights for Mexicans of any sort. That now, in this thread, we're going to castigate the "bad farmer" (a very large percentage of whom are going to be Republicans) and we're going to be okay with inflation and we're going to want big government telling business owners what should be done.

It's insanely convenient.
I don't care what political party a farmer belongs to, if any at all.

Yes, any farmer who refuses to use the guest worker program is a "bad farmer".

Not all illegal farm workers are "Mexicans". Where did you ever get that idea?

Oh, BTW---if all the farmers used legal workers, lettuce won't be $5 a head. The farmers who use guest workers don't charge more for their produce than the ones who use illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 05:55 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,843,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Let the vegetables rot where they are until farmers stop near slave labor from Mexico. What gives them the right to hire illegals? They can make an honest profit and hire documented workers at going wages. If not, they need to shut down and let others take over the farms that will do so.
I have zero sympathy for farmers who don't play by the rules and zero sympathy for illegals that think they can just walk over the border and work as if they belong here displacing legal temporary migrants.
Newsflash, you may pay more at the super market. It should have been that way all along. Get over it.
Agreed.

Food prices have gone up a LOT in the last few years and, this was BEFORE Trump was even running for POTUS.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I highly recommend some of the illegal apologists to read this post again. Read the links. Those stories are saying the exact same thing that this story is saying.

Example:

When was this written? 2012 (It's from one of the links above.)

In other words, this has been going on for years, and not a one of you got on here and said a thing about it.

Your produce is not going to go up in price. This is just another bs "feel guilty" story that only works on the uneducated left.

The post quoted completely and totally /thread.

And just in case you were getting ready to "BUT......"

Zip it:

Double /thread. This thread is so ended its dead. The story is total horse puckey fear mongering by the lame stream media, and once again, the left fell for it.
Agreed.

Especially the bit about Mexico starting to run out of Mexicans cause the birthrate there's just over 2 kids per woman in 2017, NOT the "7 kids per woman" 50 years ago.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:59 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,126,002 times
"To make the jobs more attractive, farmers are offering salaries above minimum wage, along with paid time off and 401(k) plans"

The flyover red states have the highest rates of disability abuse. Time to root out those lazy fakers and send them out to California to pick some vegetables.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:03 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,691,492 times
Besides the illegals, I blame the farmers for being dependent upon the illegals to plow and pick their fields....... Pay a higher wage now to Americans and maybe you will appreciate what you have all along..... If you fields die, you have only yourself to blame for depending on illegals when you first started your business. You knew they should not be there working on your land and now you weep when the well runs dry.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:04 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,001,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
"To make the jobs more attractive, farmers are offering salaries above minimum wage, along with paid time off and 401(k) plans"

The flyover red states have the highest rates of disability abuse. Time to root out those lazy fakers and send them out to California to pick some vegetables.
That is not true at all.Your hate is showing.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I don't care what political party a farmer belongs to, if any at all.

Yes, any farmer who refuses to use the guest worker program is a "bad farmer".

Not all illegal farm workers are "Mexicans". Where did you ever get that idea?

Oh, BTW---if all the farmers used legal workers, lettuce won't be $5 a head. The farmers who use guest workers don't charge more for their produce than the ones who use illegals.
Agreed.

I laugh when people talk about lettuce hitting 5 or 10 dollars a head with NO illegal aliens keeping costs now.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:11 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,742,852 times
Then it appears that those farmers haven't learned what constitutes competitive compensation for those jobs. When they do...problem solved (without portraying the "crisis" as a boo-hoo excuse to accommodate illegal aliens, and pay them coolie wages).

Old 08-09-2017, 07:09 PM

30,186 posts, read 23,583,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I don't disagree with your view points, and I'm a pretty liberal-leaning person. Your initial post implied a more "black and white" split along partisan lines. You did write this:

And this:

Answer: many of the liberals I know AREN'T OK with that fact. Actually. And many of the non-liberals I know aren't OK with it, either.

I don't think this line exists. There are people who disregard "illegal's" hard work and terrible living conditions on all sides of the political spectrum. It is not a "left" issue.

If you want to make this about "liberals" - feel free. But, I see it more as a societal-level issue. One dealing directly with our willingness (or unwillingness), as a country (and world for that matter), to pay the true price for goods produced/harvested by people getting paid fair and living wages.

This is a legitimate issue, and honestly has about "zero" to do with political ideology, in my opinion. It has everything to do with "cheap at all costs". We are addicted to cheap goods, and most of us largely could, unfortunately, care less how those goods came to us (unless those people are confronted with the realities of how those goods (see first few paragraphs) came to be, of course)
Back peddle all you want. I've never had a Conservative deny that the water is being taken from the farmers like liberals will.

I've never seen a Conservative be pro illegal in order to keep prices down for them, only liberals.

Why you are taking it so personally is beyond me. You're going to have to figure that out on your own time because I'm really not interested in knowing why.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:01 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,872,671 times
Quote:
Back peddle all you want. I've never had a Conservative deny that the water is being taken from the farmers like liberals will.
Back peddle on what? Huh?????? What are you even talking about?

Quote:
I've never seen a Conservative be pro illegal in order to keep prices down for them, only liberals.
Deny that water is being taken from farmers? LOL...ok. What does that have to do with this discussion? I don't really care if water is diverted from farmers - when there are droughts, it should be. I'll pay more for my products to offset their loses, but I'd rather see our water used in better ways (than, say, for almond farms that require an insane amount of water).

Quote:
Why you are taking it so personally is beyond me. You're going to have to figure that out on your own time because I'm really not interested in knowing why.

I'm not taking it personally?

I do take issue with your claim that this is somehow a "left" issue, though. It's just inaccurate (as I've explained above).

I'm not sure I'd call that "taking it personally"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies