Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 04:30 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I guess the question here is "what is the big deal?"
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
People get offended because it feeds their ego, their sense of self importance gets reinforced.

We're living in times now where people literally are moral preening and virtue signaling to others. "Look at me" I'm solving the worlds problems.

Should the guy say things like Sweetheart or Honey, no, you probably should stick the script.

Is this really a hill to die on for the feminist movement, especially if there isn't a negative tone behind it.

The offended Olympics are here and everyone is a contestant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 04:46 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Right? The older I get the more I'm flattered by kindness and compliments.
Exactly.

If someone thinks enough of others to use a term of endearment, even in a casual manner, I take it as a compliment as well as an indication of being well mannered.

Especially in this day and age where people can be so self centered and rude.

That being said, tone, intent and context are everything.

It's not really that hard to tell if someone is being genuine or condescending.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:38 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
She said she went to the guy's manager and discussed it with him. Then she posted it on Facebook Live. What do you think the result will be? This woman is famous and probably has thousands of followers.
So you don't actually know.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:52 AM

36,524 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post

I agree with the bolded statement. Nobody I know would even think of calling a random stranger sweetheart or honey. And a good number of them would be extremely offended if someone, especially of the opposite gender used those terms to refer to them.

Best I can tell, this seems to be a regional and generational thing. If you are on the older side and/or from the south, it seems like this is something that people do. If you are younger and/or from the north, you might get a good ass chewing or worse if you say it to the wrong person. I know a few people that would throw punches if they heard some asshat TSA agent or other stranger address their spouse as sweetheart or honey.
Well the horror.
In church last night a toddler came across the isle arms outstretched wanting me to pick her up. So I did, put her in my lap and called her sweetheart! I think I even called her honey when I put her back down.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:55 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
"Feminist Ashley Judd Loses Her Mind When Airport Worker Calls Her 'Sweetheart'"

140+ posts. Right wingers are losing their minds over an Ashley Judd video.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:08 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
"Feminist Ashley Judd Loses Her Mind When Airport Worker Calls Her 'Sweetheart'"

140+ posts. Right wingers are losing their minds over an Ashley Judd video.
So the number of posts in a thread dictate the level of mental instability? Should we revisit the number of posts in all the "anti-anything conservative" threads to determine who needs a straight jacket then?

Old 08-10-2017, 10:13 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,527 times
self important narcissist with daddy issues who cant possibly get enough attention
at least she is living up to the nasty woman thing

this is my very watered down "don't want to get banned" opinion

Old 08-10-2017, 10:17 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,527 times
At least he didn't call her toots

Old 08-10-2017, 11:19 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Ashley needs to get a grip.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:03 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,041 times
I'm far from a feminist, but men calling women sweetheart, honey, etc. is condescending (depending on the situation). If someone I don't know says that to me, it would probably give me pause. I seriously doubt I'd say something to them about it, though. Maybe I would in a joking way...

That does not mean that others who chose to speak out against it are wrong. I recognize that not everyone has to react the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies