Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 02:53 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times

Advertisements

America's drinking problem is much worse this century

Absolutely staggering the increase in alcohol consumption. But then again eating thousands of calories at once and then having a bottle of wine or two with it is now super glamorized.

12.7 percent are binge drinkers now compared with 8.5 percent in 2001. That is an estimated 7 million more people who have massive amounts of alcohol once a week.

There really is a crisis in America today socially. It seems like record high amounts of food addiction, heroin addiction, heroin addiction and mental health issues are overwhelming society.

A great article about how much alcoholism has increased just since 2001.

It seems like suicide, alcoholism, marijuana and heroin usage is all skyrocketing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 04:11 PM

29,807 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Americans are angry because their politicians have done their best to trash this country/turn it into a 3rd world hell hole. Simple as that.

If Americans were truly free, this would not be happening.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:13 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
Let's change our consumption habits first before we even demand single payer.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,277 times
So? If they want to "binge drink", that's their business. Not mine.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:22 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Americans are angry because their politicians have done their best to trash this country/turn it into a 3rd world hell hole. Simple as that.

If Americans were truly free, this would not be happening.
I think it has nothing (directly) to do with politics. It is because living in this country is harder than it used to be. Today's America is built for the rich, for everyone else there is booze and oxy to forget your pain. Normal people don't care enough about politics to drink because of it so it isn't the politics per se, but the broken society that has come out of our broken political system.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:24 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times
The increased numbers of breweries - craft breweries in particular - probably has at least something to do with it. More tasty beers = more people drinking them.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:25 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
You have a real problem with everyone but yourself.

Why would you bring up mental health in this? That is not an addiction.

Of course you bring up over eating with your calorie comment. You really have a problem with obese people.

Marijuana use has not gone up. It has been legalized and now people are not hiding their use.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:27 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Check out the thread claiming the 1940's were so much better than now. That era lived on binge drinking. I grew up in the 1950's with a step father that, along with a few friends, got hammered every Saturday. I learned to binge drink from him. I also learned that he considered me his slave and that authority has their own agenda and helping you is rarely on their list. When I got on the River Boats in 'Nam I stopped binging on alcohol. I found it slowed me down and being slow was very, very dangerous.

I think that the increase in drinking is created by increased wealth combined with increased uncertainty about prosperity as our economy heads into another devastating bubble. Maybe it is caused by all the advertising that convinces people that alcohol is necessary to be accepted into the "fun loving" clique. Maybe it is just that a lot of people just like binging.

Note - There are a lot more people available to binge drink now than then.

Last edited by GregW; 08-10-2017 at 05:19 PM..

Old 08-10-2017, 05:03 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
I don't have much to back this up, but I think one possibility is that more and more people are being admitted to college, and much of college life revolves around drinking. Everyone going in has that image of huge parties and people passed out everywhere that they see in the movies. I think that's where a lot of people get started if they haven't already in high school.

Plus I live in Wisconsin, so people jump at every opportunity to drink...I'm used to it, but it's kind of insane when you think about it.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:17 PM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times
I didn't touch the study 20 yrs. now after work a cup of wine. I hate drunkendness - I do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies