Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 08:49 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Eggs are my compelling reason for keeping them. Fresh laid eggs are soooo superior to store-bought. Plus chickens keep bug populations at bay. Once my hens stop laying I let them enjoy a good long retirement. I have a seven year-old who hasn't laid an egg in years, but she's damn good at teaching chicks "the ropes".
I absolutely agree that fresh is best. I lived on a place for a short time where there were chickens, and loved the fresh eggs. Even better? Fresh duck eggs. Still hoping I can find some around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 08:53 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Eggs are my compelling reason for keeping them. Fresh laid eggs are soooo superior to store-bought. Plus chickens keep bug populations at bay. Once my hens stop laying I let them enjoy a good long retirement. I have a seven year-old who hasn't laid an egg in years, but she's damn good at teaching chicks "the ropes".

It's true. Fresh eggs are great. I buy mine from a neighboring farmer. I don't know what he does with the hens that stop laying eggs. I do know they have an egg laying lifecycle. The commercial operations sell them for pet food, I think.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:54 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
I take a ride and look at the beautiful sky and clouds and the palm trees .. listen to some good music and see what I haven't seen before.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:01 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It's true. Fresh eggs are great. I buy mine from a neighboring farmer. I don't know what he does with the hens that stop laying eggs. I do know they have an egg laying lifecycle. The commercial operations sell them for pet food, I think.
Most farmers cull their hens at 18-24 months. I can't bear to do that myself. One of my hens laid until she was almost four!

Their little personalities only become more engaging over time and with a small flock like mine, the food bill is negligible. So I have a few Golden Girls happily sitting around and cackling all day long. They do wonders on my scorpion population and that adds value.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:02 AM

809 posts, read 747,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
What helps is to look at politics not as the life and death struggle that some insist it is. It's mostly show boating and posturing.

Look at it as entertainment. The current entertainer in chief in the WH provides LOTS of comic relief on a daily basis.

Wow, you posted my thoughts before I even read this thread. When politics get too depressing I re-frame my point of view. I realize that some people watch "reality shows", made up scripted things. There is no reality show as absurd as some of our politics. Bill Clinton, Forrest Gump Bush, Conservative Republicans playing footsie in public toilet stalls, and now Trumplestiltskin. You know the old cliche, you can't make this stuff up.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:03 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Ha!

Besides reading, walking in nature, and gardening - I'm admitting a deep and shameful vice here - I watch episodes of "Hoarders" on youtube.
I wonder how they acquire that much stuff .. that Hoarders show..

It is good therapy for people that have too much stuff.. when I watch an episode, ( some I just can't watch) I start to look around at my files, papers and extra stuff to thin it out. Keeps me trying to get rid of stuff.

It is amazing how much junk mail I get and have to constantly throw away. I don't remember my parents having that much stuff or mail.. life was living basic in those days. No gadgets, no stuff like today.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:08 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
Most farmers cull their hens at 18-24 months. I can't bear to do that myself. One of my hens laid until she was almost four!

Their little personalities only become more engaging over time and with a small flock like mine, the food bill is negligible. So I have a few Golden Girls happily sitting around and cackling all day long. They do wonders on my scorpion population and that adds value.
I couldn't either and now I don't have any. Gave them all to a friend and they are happy as hogs in a waller.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:19 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I wonder how they acquire that much stuff .. that Hoarders show..

It is good therapy for people that have too much stuff.. when I watch an episode, ( some I just can't watch) I start to look around at my files, papers and extra stuff to thin it out. Keeps me trying to get rid of stuff.

It is amazing how much junk mail I get and have to constantly throw away. I don't remember my parents having that much stuff or mail.. life was living basic in those days. No gadgets, no stuff like today.
Well, one woman stole stuff to hoard.

A lot of them dumpster dive. Where I live, all I'd need is an old pickup - free cycle and craig's list are rich sources of more stuff. Some of them spend their way into bankruptcy collecting things like purses, dolls, stuffed animals, lamps, clocks, old cars, etc.

And some of them don't really have much of a collecting habit. What they have is a never-throw-anything-away, never-pick-up-after-yourself habit. Starts with clutter and untidiness, ends with trash three feet deep on the floor.

My own reactions to the various hoarders is nearly as interesting as the hoarders themselves. I have a lot of sympathy for most of them - they are emotionally defending themselves from real trauma. Some of them are just hopeless at life, and there's not much anyone can do. And a few of them are just plain *******s. Especially the animal hoarders.

Last edited by jacqueg; 08-11-2017 at 09:28 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 09:23 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:

I love my birdies. They are hugely entertaining, and feeding them gets me going in the morning.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:29 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I love my birdies. They are hugely entertaining, and feeding them gets me going in the morning.
It surprises me how many people under-estimate the intelligence of birds. I've had four pet cockatiels and each of them had a riotous personality, including one male "Cosmo" who every single night just as the family sat down to dinner would sit under his bell and wear it like a helmet while whispering to himself. It was the funniest damn thing. He looked like a little German soldier wearing a helmet and we would laugh and call him "Herr Kaiser". I swear he enjoyed entertaining us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies