Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 10:34 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsign69 View Post
Not getting it

Coupla months back, Spicey tried to avoid some reporters by hiding in bushes outside the WH.

It was good for laughs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 11:05 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,738 times
Cool thread, Catgirl64!

I travel. Mostly I solo travel, which is so exciting. Next month, I'm going to Barcelona with a friend; however, I planned a solo adventure in Costa Rica this December. I have lots of exciting things coming up!

Otherwise, I work out, do fun things with my bulldog, watch tv, read, listen to podcasts, shop.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:16 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Cool thread, Catgirl64!

I travel. Mostly I solo travel, which is so exciting. Next month, I'm going to Barcelona with a friend; however, I planned a solo adventure in Costa Rica this December. I have lots of exciting things coming up!

Otherwise, I work out, do fun things with my bulldog, watch tv, read, listen to podcasts, shop.
HA! We share such a common love. I'm not exactly a solo traveler, but I fly with my husband on his international business trips. While he's working, which is usually many long days, with very few days off until he's done, I enjoy roaming neighborhoods and museums and parks and chilling out on my own. There is definitely something very exciting about being on your own in a foreign country. Plus the freedom to go anywhere you want is awesome.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
HA! We share such a common love. I'm not exactly a solo traveler, but I fly with my husband on his international business trips. While he's working, which is usually many long days, with very few days off until he's done, I enjoy roaming neighborhoods and museums and parks and chilling out on my own. There is definitely something very exciting about being on your own in a foreign country. Plus the freedom to go anywhere you want is awesome.
Oh, ABSOLUTELY!

When I planned my trip to Barcelona, I was going solo...then I invited my friend a few months ago. I'm so looking forward to it, but it would be a completely different experience solo.

You learn so much when you are in a foreign country by yourself. Also, you tend to meet more people, oddly. People are always talking to me because I'm by myself. I'm pretty introverted, so I don't necessarily need or want that attention, but it's pretty funny. lol!

There's no one to talk you into or out of something...you don't have to run your plans by anyone else. I went scuba diving in Mexico during a solo trip. I probably wouldn't have done it if someone was there to scare me out of it.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:52 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Oh, ABSOLUTELY!

When I planned my trip to Barcelona, I was going solo...then I invited my friend a few months ago. I'm so looking forward to it, but it would be a completely different experience solo.

You learn so much when you are in a foreign country by yourself. Also, you tend to meet more people, oddly. People are always talking to me because I'm by myself. I'm pretty introverted, so I don't necessarily need or want that attention, but it's pretty funny. lol!

There's no one to talk you into or out of something...you don't have to run your plans by anyone else. I went scuba diving in Mexico during a solo trip. I probably wouldn't have done it if someone was there to scare me out of it.
So much truth in your post. I spent a month in Shanghai and Beijing on one trip. I'm a tall brown-skinned Hawaiian chica. They looked at me like I was an alien. lol. I stomped around in my Wayfarers and Vans with my tattooed ankles and my earbuds and iPod and just tuned out the stares and photographs (they will walk right up to you and go SNAP! with their phones!) and got into a 'zone'. I don't speak very much Mandarin. And even if I did, my accent totally sucks. And their method of counting with their fingers is very different than ours. Communication is comical, but it gets done. Having a phone with good Mandarin apps is a must. As a woman, I have to say that I've never felt safer in any other country, including America. It was a fabulous experience. My next trip is tentatively a month in Guangzhou and Hong Kong later this year. I'm a little trepidatious I admit with all that's happening right now. I saw "No Escape" and it had a lingering effect. lol.

Traveling has given me so much wonderful perspective of how fortunate my own life is here, and also how other people are more/less fortunate in other countries. It's the best opportunity I've had in my lifetime.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:57 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Well, one woman stole stuff to hoard.

A lot of them dumpster dive. Where I live, all I'd need is an old pickup - free cycle and craig's list are rich sources of more stuff. Some of them spend their way into bankruptcy collecting things like purses, dolls, stuffed animals, lamps, clocks, old cars, etc.

And some of them don't really have much of a collecting habit. What they have is a never-throw-anything-away, never-pick-up-after-yourself habit. Starts with clutter and untidiness, ends with trash three feet deep on the floor.

My own reactions to the various hoarders is nearly as interesting as the hoarders themselves. I have a lot of sympathy for most of them - they are emotionally defending themselves from real trauma. Some of them are just hopeless at life, and there's not much anyone can do. And a few of them are just plain *******s. Especially the animal hoarders.
I saw the woman who had dried poop all over her kitchen counter and dead cats in the freezer, I have to turn it off then go back for curiosities sake wondering how someone can get such a mindset.

Then there is the other extreme I heard about. If someone comes into their home ,after they leave they spend all night cleaning every inch of their home.

Years ago I had a touch of compulsive cleaning. I retrained my thinking that I was more important then having everything done to perfection which only lasted a very short time anyway. Always laundry, always dust,always paper work. Etc. Perfection does not exist.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:12 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
What do you do when you need a break from politics?

I read a book, or watch a historical documentary - you know, get away from the current crazy by watching the crazy from years past. Sort of like watching "Game of Thrones," without having to pay for HBO.
Between the gym, housework, errands, entertaining the kids while they are on summer break, planning things with friends & the kids, watching shows like Mysteries of the Museum with the kids, crafts, cooking, 4 legged kid, the husband constantly in and out of town and sitting outside enjoying a drink with the neighbors.
I do think it's good to be informed on whats going on but not get so obsessed with it. It's all about a healthy balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I wonder how they acquire that much stuff .. that Hoarders show..

It is good therapy for people that have too much stuff.. when I watch an episode, ( some I just can't watch) I start to look around at my files, papers and extra stuff to thin it out. Keeps me trying to get rid of stuff.

It is amazing how much junk mail I get and have to constantly throw away. I don't remember my parents having that much stuff or mail.. life was living basic in those days. No gadgets, no stuff like today.
Oh. my. gosh. Hoarders make me itch and think my house needs to be cleaner than what it is.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
So much truth in your post. I spent a month in Shanghai and Beijing on one trip. I'm a tall brown-skinned Hawaiian chica. They looked at me like I was an alien. lol. I stomped around in my Wayfarers and Vans with my tattooed ankles and my earbuds and iPod and just tuned out the stares and photographs (they will walk right up to you and go SNAP! with their phones!) and got into a 'zone'. I don't speak very much Mandarin. And even if I did, my accent totally sucks. And their method of counting with their fingers is very different than ours. Communication is comical, but it gets done. Having a phone with good Mandarin apps is a must. As a woman, I have to say that I've never felt safer in any other country, including America. It was a fabulous experience. My next trip is tentatively a month in Guangzhou and Hong Kong later this year. I'm a little trepidatious I admit with all that's happening right now. I saw "No Escape" and it had a lingering effect. lol.

Traveling has given me so much wonderful perspective of how fortunate my own life is here, and also how other people are more/less fortunate in other countries. It's the best opportunity I've had in my lifetime.
Sounds amazing!

I understand your trepidation about going to China. I feel the same way because things seem so crazy right now, but I refuse to let anything stop me from doing what I want (as long as I have the resources ).

Old 08-11-2017, 12:35 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
What do you do when you need a break from politics?

I read a book, or watch a historical documentary - you know, get away from the current crazy by watching the crazy from years past. Sort of like watching "Game of Thrones," without having to pay for HBO.
It's best to do some volunteering if you are looking for something fulfilling that will beat back the blues. I also love exercise, be it weight training or cycling, good to push your body physically. Also love history and historical documentaries.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:39 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Cool thread, Catgirl64!

Costa Rica is a fabulous destination, I need to get back there myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies