Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2017, 06:04 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
There is a bit of all things being reported out there, and I won't argue there is what you can find that you may think supports your belief that wages are rising at some sort of healthy level, but I follow economics well enough to know that is a very difficult change for those at the bottom of the pay scale. I pointed to what might be causing that a bit, like the implementation of the minimum wage that we should all know about, but you seem to ignore all that because it doesn't suit what you BELIEVE. Also, BTW, I make a point of not bothering with the rest if the very first example doesn't prove your point. Again, did you read it? What I bolded for you to reconsider?

Also might consider the following, recent and not from Fox News...

"But even though the unemployment rate hit a decade low of 4.4 percent in April, average hourly earnings of all private non-farm workers grew just 2.5 percent over the past year—compared with an annual rate of more than 4 percent the last time the jobless rate was this low."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...n-t-pay-rising

You might also consider what has caused the ongoing spread between rich and poor over many decades now. The rich get richer while the poor always gain little to nothing given the increased cost of living. Takes more than a good immigration policy to change that intractable reality!
Cut off MOST immigration, especially illegal aliens and; wages WILL start going UP for US citizens who can and WANT to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 06:36 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Having watched the care givers help my father in a memory care center while he suffered from Alzheimer's, I came to greatly appreciate these people, many who couldn't even speak English. Now my mother is also at a retirement center (assisted living), and when I paid a visit a couple of days ago there was a big sign out front I had never seen there before. "NOW HIRING." They can't find the help they need to staff the facility...

I've made this argument before, and now I see it's beginning to happen. We're finding the problem Trump and his supporters thought they were fixing was actually not as much a problem for us as much as it was a solution. A solution we were apparently not able to admit or legitimize. We made them out to be "rapists and murderers" instead and made them unwelcome even though they were doing all the work we can't do on our own and don't want to do!

"You might consider, for starters, the enormous demand for low-skilled workers, which could well go unmet as the baby boom generation ages out of the labor force, eroding the labor supply. Eight of the 15 occupations expected to experience the fastest growth between 2014 and 2024 — personal care and home health aides, food preparation workers, janitors and the like — require no schooling at all."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/b...nomy-jobs.html

Now what?
Require able bodied individuals to work to participate in safety net programs. Provide programs for the working poor to give them a better standard of living than those who do not work. Provide subsidized childcare. Create 3-6 month training programs for limited skill laborers which includes successful work habits training.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:39 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Cut off MOST immigration, especially illegal aliens and; wages WILL start going UP for US citizens who can and WANT to work.
Exactly. When we had limited immigration in this nation janitors earned a living wage.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:09 PM

30,156 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
El Paso Texas is a border city with Juarez, Mexico. There is a large population of anchor babies in Juarez who grew up there but are US Citizens and people with permits who can cross daily in to Texas but are not suppose to work. Many of the people just with permits to cross will work under the table for $5 an hour. Beats the $1 an hour in the factories in Mexico. Unless you are a professional with a degree or some special skill you are making minimum wage in El Paso as a unskilled worker. Management makes more but its all depressed by the increased labor pool.

I used to have to go there on business on a regular basis so I know this first hand.

Very easy supply and demand demonstration in El Paso.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:11 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If and when we have an actual labor shortage we can increase our legal immigrant quotas and visas. I fail to see why illegal aliens should even enter into the picture now or in the future. It's just greedy employers wanting cheap labor not that they can't find legal workers at a fair wage. The pro-illegals make excuses for defending illegal immigration claiming that Americans are lazy and that we don't have enough legal workers. We all know that's BS!
Ah, you mean we could make laws like "Comprehensive Immigration Reform" and "Guest Worker Programs" which have been pushed by Democrats AND reasonable Republicans for a decade or more...only to be shot down by the rabid right who claimed they don't want to deal with the issue until after The Wall is built and all illegal immigration is stopped?

Old 08-19-2017, 08:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
This is why you find Libertarians more prominently featured within the ranks of the GOP. Where do you find the same within the Democratic party?

You might not understand why this is simply because you think you have liberal leanings when it comes to some social issues like maybe abortion, or gays or some of those cross-over issues, but Libertarian thinking is for the most part conservative thinking when it comes to most political/government issues, not liberal. Apparently you are confused about this like many Libertarians, and I don't have the time to explain further, but again..., if the premise of your position is faulty, it's hard for me to move from there.

Maybe tomorrow I can do better in any case...
Libertarians initially leaned more toward the left due to
immigration
drugs
get government out of the bedroom
do whatever you like as long as you aren't hurting anyone
etc.

But the new breed of Libertarianism was established and pad for by the Kochs (Cato, etc.) and it is a Frankenstein of various ideas which put BIG MONEY as it's real God. Well, truthfully, big money and lots of guns.

So what was originally a reasonable discussion about the role of government has morphed into "how may guns can we carry into Starbucks and how much will the Kochs pay us to insert ourselves into think tanks and the body politic?".

In other words - Republicans.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:41 PM

30,156 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Libertarians initially leaned more toward the left due to
immigration
drugs
get government out of the bedroom
do whatever you like as long as you aren't hurting anyone
etc.

But the new breed of Libertarianism was established and pad for by the Kochs (Cato, etc.) and it is a Frankenstein of various ideas which put BIG MONEY as it's real God. Well, truthfully, big money and lots of guns.

So what was originally a reasonable discussion about the role of government has morphed into "how may guns can we carry into Starbucks and how much will the Kochs pay us to insert ourselves into think tanks and the body politic?".

In other words - Republicans.
Totally not true.

Just because some in the GOP were trolling for Libertarian votes in 2016 does not mean Libertarians are paid for by the Koch bros or George Soros or anyone else. There were lies put out by the left that the Koch bros. gave $10 million to the libertarians but that was not true. Just lies.

There is no new breed of libertarians. Have you read the party platform?

https://www.lp.org/platform/

The platform is not to cater to the left or right but to the citizens of the United States. Both the left and right are hypocrites. The left is fine with womens right but gun rights no they don't like it. They left likes guns but women, no they cannot choose. Both are fine jailing people for what they put in their bodies. Libertarians say what you do is your business not governments. People over the government.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:48 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Ah, you mean we could make laws like "Comprehensive Immigration Reform" and "Guest Worker Programs" which have been pushed by Democrats AND reasonable Republicans for a decade or more...only to be shot down by the rabid right who claimed they don't want to deal with the issue until after The Wall is built and all illegal immigration is stopped?

CIR was just another amnesty. We don't need that again. We already have several guest worker programs. It was dumb legislation and therefore shot down. Nothing rabid about it. We don't need any more guest worker programs with millions of Americans out of work.

The wall that was already approved by congress back in 2006 needs to be built. I good physical barrier assists the Border Patrol to do their jobs more effectively. It was to be for 700 miles on the most porous areas of our border. Where that kind of wall is already erected it brought illegal immigration down to a trickle. No one is saying that it will stop illegal immigration 100% but so what if it stops many or most of them? It shouldn't be built as a trade off for another amnesty either.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:35 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Fruit and veggies rotting in the fields for what? We have migrant farm worker programs. I think this story is a lie.

Yard maintenance used to be done by homeowners or teenagers. You don't think we have enough people in this country who would pick up the slack if suddenly we didn't have these yard crews? Seems like a good business for enterprising people who can't otherwise get work, like ex convicts or people who have huge gaps in employment and won't be hired. We have plenty of people who would like that work.
The "fruits and veggies rotting in the fields" was something someone else introduced into this thread, and if I recall without any reference links. The labor needed to work our farms has always been dependent on migrant farm workers as you well point out. That's the simple fact of the matter.

Funny your comment about "homeowners or teenagers" picking up the slack. Read thread after thread about our American youth today, and usually the complaint is that our youth simply isn't willing to work or do chores like once upon a time. Not sure. My kids did chores and worked part-time jobs, but I can certainly agree that getting them to do yard work was no easy trick!

Seems you are harkening back to a day of small towns, white picket fences and drive-in theaters...

Before I go on to explain what I think is more the reality of employers today, needing to fill sometimes hundreds if not thousands of low-paying jobs, on a seasonal basis, or in meat packing plants, or for large construction projects, have you any such experience or first-hand knowledge?

Old 08-20-2017, 10:39 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You never respond to Jack's points. Why make a post only addressing the differences among three political parties instead of defending your argument that adding more to the labor pool does not lower wages? Jack has made his case pretty well, but I haven't even seen you make your case. You only state your case with no evidence.
What case has Jack made other than to express his opinion?

I haven't had the time lately, but maybe I missed something with the little time I've had to scan this thread the last few days. (I've had family visiting). I provided most of what I think needs considering earlier in this thread, pretty much dismissed with no facts or justification either way, but I have a little more time today, so I'll see if I can do better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies