Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 10:55 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Well you failed to give any kind of response to my question. The liberal idea in immigration and labor is let everyone flood in. Get them in the job market and if wages stagnate blame the employers and force a rise in minimum wage. All the americans that have been pushed out of the job market, give them unemployment or welfare whatever. Again the complicated solution.
That is not the "liberal idea." That's a straw man argument that only makes me waste time arguing about nonsense.

Again, I have had an employment agency. My company had over 100 clients (companies) who used our agency to fill low-paying minimum wage jobs; to fill cartons with products, work in warehouses, make table-top covers, food processing assembly lines, stocking retail shelves during midnight shifts, and on and on...

My company ALWAYS had the problem of needing more people to fill these jobs than satisfied the demand. This despite our significant efforts to post with the EDD (unemployment work postings), newspaper job adds, posters at retail locations, online job sites, walk-in applications accepted during all business hours. The economy was particularly good then much like now, with low unemployment rates. I am simply telling you, the number of non-Hispanic workers/applicants compared to Hispanic workers/applicants was on the order of 1 non for every 25 Hispanic. I can get into the reasons for this, but no matter. Whites, white kids, simply were not a part of this labor pool to any negligible degree no matter what we did to offer EVERYONE -- ANYONE -- the work if they wanted it...

Also from experience I can tell you, one of my biggest problems was competition (other employment agencies) who hired illegal workers unlike us who were very diligent about checking for appropriate work-qualifying I.D., as the law requires, and also as explained before..., why we were chosen by the state to participate in the beta eVerify program. Why did we have this problem? Because most employers know the law requiring legal workers is not really enforced. The reasons for this I can also explain, but to keep it simple as you prefer, the fact is we were all having trouble filling all the positions with both legal and illegal workers. I could go into all our efforts to convince employers that a higher wage would work better, and why they didn't raise wages even when labor was tight, but again..., you want things simple.

Simply put, especially when it comes to lots of jobs and work that most Americans are hardly even aware goes on, the simple laws of supply and demand do not always apply like some may think. Certainly not everywhere, not always and not always as simply as we think!

Last edited by LearnMe; 08-20-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Well you failed to give any kind of response to my question. The liberal idea in immigration and labor is let everyone flood in. Get them in the job market and if wages stagnate blame the employers and force a rise in minimum wage. All the americans that have been pushed out of the job market, give them unemployment or welfare whatever. Again the complicated solution.

Most conservative politicians in Washington are fine with all that. Except raising minimum wages.
Wrong again.

Politicians for the most part look the other way when it comes to allowing illegal workers, because "the business of America is business," and American employers not only don't want higher minimum wage, they also don't want their access to an immediate and cheap labor force to be impeded. They want to conduct their business the way they wish; a) without government involvement and b) profitably. Ask yourself who our government representatives tend to represent when it comes to the money they depend on to win elections and stay in office, and you begin to better connect these dots, better recognize the reality of what is going on.

Again, the liberal idea is not as you describe. (You really need to stop with that nonsense). If anything, liberals like me are better aware of who is doing what to who and why, while the typical American points to Hispanics and thinks "they're taking our jobs!" Well, the Hispanics are working here, that's for sure, but I have yet to meet any white American who pointed at a job they wanted that they couldn't get because of a Hispanic getting the job instead. Have you? Quite the contrary in fact, and I had an employment agency!

Fact is, giving the numbers I can count, there will always be lots of low-paying jobs of all sorts, generally difficult to fill because they are essentially crap jobs no matter the pay, and crap pay no matter how hard to fill. Either way, there will always be a line of people willing to work those jobs (for a time), because too many people are there at the bottom of the economic ladder (poor) as compared to those who manage to do better. Not every person is as inclined to take every job, however, and again the reasons for that are just not as simple as you may think...

Old 08-20-2017, 11:21 AM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Yep, we are paying for our lack of a legal comprehensive immigration/guest worker program. We also have a screwed up H1b Visa program. While so many Americans were getting worthless degrees, they could have been getting worthwhile Stem degrees that would be filling the supposed void in these positions.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I am not confused on what it means to be a Libertarian. I am not a conservative who flipped over to libertarian one day because I heard some vague things about smaller government and no taxes. I have been a libertarian for 30 years. Big fan of Ayn Rand before that and since. Big Ron Paul supporter even though he was technically a Republican in his later years.
You write a little too much for me to address entirely, and although that's a challenge, I do appreciate the exchange with people who have a little more in the way of facts, reason and logic to offer compared to some who seem to comment mindlessly...

Still, I must admit I have rarely had much luck getting through to anyone as die-hard a Libertarian as you claim to be. Don't you ever wonder why it is the Libertarian party can never muster much more than 3 to 4 percent of votes/support in just about all national elections for a very long time now? Y'all just smarter than the rest of America then?

I suppose we could get into all the problems with Libertarian philosophy as well, but I'm already challenged to keep up, so instead I'll just share this little cartoon that may not be any better than some of your descriptions of liberal thinking, but no worse I don't think. You've probably seen this before, but for anyone who hasn't, I think it's something of a kick...

Which of the 24 types of Libertarian are you?

https://www.google.com/search?q=libe...Zt2eXYOMm12gM:

Old 08-20-2017, 02:00 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You write a little too much for me to address entirely, and although that's a challenge, I do appreciate the exchange with people who have a little more in the way of facts, reason and logic to offer compared to some who seem to comment mindlessly...

Still, I must admit I have rarely had much luck getting through to anyone as die-hard a Libertarian as you claim to be. Don't you ever wonder why it is the Libertarian party can never muster much more than 3 to 4 percent of votes/support in just about all national elections for a very long time now? Y'all just smarter than the rest of America then?

I suppose we could get into all the problems with Libertarian philosophy as well, but I'm already challenged to keep up, so instead I'll just share this little cartoon that may not be any better than some of your descriptions of liberal thinking, but no worse I don't think. You've probably seen this before, but for anyone who hasn't, I think it's something of a kick...

Which of the 24 types of Libertarian are you?

https://www.google.com/search?q=libe...Zt2eXYOMm12gM:
Yes I have seen the cartoons before. There is a diversity of people and their opinions in the Libertarian party. I think that is a healthy thing. Its not like the GOP and Democrats are lock step with their respective parties. Often people on both the right and left are single issue people often guns and abortion being those issues. With libertarians its that way too. Perhaps drug legalization or non interventionist foreign policy.

As far as why Libertarians don't get more votes. The two parties make it very difficult. People have been brainwashed into picking D or R. And it comes down to money. As of March of 2016 during the primaries the candidates had raised:

Libertarian Johnson, with $320,000

Green Party candidate Jill Stein, with $223,000

Clinton $180 million

Trump $48 million

And to get matching funds the parties needed to get 5% in the last general election which did not happen. With the money difference its amazing that the Libertarians got 3 or 4%.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:16 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Again, I have had an employment agency. My company had over 100 clients (companies) who used our agency to fill low-paying minimum wage jobs; to fill cartons with products, work in warehouses, make table-top covers, food processing assembly lines, stocking retail shelves during midnight shifts, and on and on...

My company ALWAYS had the problem of needing more people to fill these jobs than satisfied the demand. This despite our significant efforts to post with the EDD (unemployment work postings), newspaper job adds, posters at retail locations, online job sites, walk-in applications accepted during all business hours. The economy was particularly good then much like now, with low unemployment rates. I am simply telling you, the number of non-Hispanic workers/applicants compared to Hispanic workers/applicants was on the order of 1 non for every 25 Hispanic. I can get into the reasons for this, but no matter. Whites, white kids, simply were not a part of this labor pool to any negligible degree no matter what we did to offer EVERYONE -- ANYONE -- the work if they wanted it...

Also from experience I can tell you, one of my biggest problems was competition (other employment agencies) who hired illegal workers unlike us who were very diligent about checking for appropriate work-qualifying I.D., as the law requires
You are making my point, thank you!

I don't know what state you had your agency in but if you look at the midwest for example there are lots of white people doing construction, food service and other entry level jobs. Same in Idaho. I have been all over the country and what you are saying is not true in mostly non hispanic areas. Not too long ago I saw a sign at 7-11 in a midwest state starting people at $12-14 per hour. I believe the minimum in that state is $8 or less. Tight job market and a small immigrant population caused this.

I do understand that entry level jobs are not that appealing. Also I don't care if the applicants are white, black, hispanic or whatever. 25 to 1 ratio of hispanics is fine as long as they can legally work in this country. But as you said your competition was hiring illegals and it made it harder to find legal hires. Take the illegals out of the equation and companies have to pay more. Supply goes down, jobs have to be filled. So the wages go up. To put it to the extreme advertise $100 an hour to clean toilets and there will be a line a mile long. Its not just the job but the wages and the job that makes it less appealing. The wages being kept down by too many applicants.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:33 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Come up with that all on your own? True with most people anyway. My compliments!
Kick all illegals out.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:00 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,778 times
Quote:
Insulting this BTW...

I never said we have someone cleaning our toilets, though we all know many a hired maid does for lots of Americans. We prepare our own food here too, but we also see the hundreds of people working in the farm fields nearby, and they too don't speak much English. We had no choice but to admit my father into a memory care facility, because my mother could no longer attend to his special needs. None of us kids lived close enough around to do so either, and even if we did, our father was ultimately better off in a facility with qualified staff who could not only take care of his basic needs, but medical emergency as well.

Learn even a little bit about all this, and you know how expensive the whole proposition is and how none of these care facilities can afford to pay other than bottom minimum wage for most of the work done there. I only wish I could dream up whatever alternative reality conservatives commenting so far in this thread like to dream up, but I simply know better. Too bad more people don't, or they wouldn't be helping Trump to make matters only worse for all of us without even knowing it!
https://www.propublica.org/article/n...ts-on-snapchat

I would never, ever put a loved one in a nursing home. I repeat, NEVER! So much abuse goes on there. The fact is most of the elders are going to need a child or close relative to care for them, not a nursing home. You'll have to change plans and rearrange your life some to do it. It will be hard, but people all over the world do this and it's the only way to limit the abuse.

People who work in any healthcare industry at the lowest level get paid crap. Why? Because our healthcare system is FOR A PROFIT so we cannot afford good help. It needs to be non profit, government regulated, and monitored for safety because this obviously doesn't come naturally to humans, illegal or native. Both have abused seniors in these homes because these people in these jobs are the bottom of the barrel. It's hard work.

Instead of hiring SLAVE labor to make it affordable we need to get rid of the PROFIT. Most seniors don't want assistance, they want to die in their homes doing what they want. I hope we wake up to the seriousness of our crappy mandated for profit healthcare system which leaves patients of it ripe for abuse!

Old 08-20-2017, 03:02 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,778 times
Quote:
You are making my point, thank you!

I don't know what state you had your agency in but if you look at the midwest for example there are lots of white people doing construction, food service and other entry level jobs. Same in Idaho. I have been all over the country and what you are saying is not true in mostly non hispanic areas. Not too long ago I saw a sign at 7-11 in a midwest state starting people at $12-14 per hour. I believe the minimum in that state is $8 or less. Tight job market and a small immigrant population caused this.

I do understand that entry level jobs are not that appealing. Also I don't care if the applicants are white, black, hispanic or whatever. 25 to 1 ratio of hispanics is fine as long as they can legally work in this country. But as you said your competition was hiring illegals and it made it harder to find legal hires. Take the illegals out of the equation and companies have to pay more. Supply goes down, jobs have to be filled. So the wages go up. To put it to the extreme advertise $100 an hour to clean toilets and there will be a line a mile long. Its not just the job but the wages and the job that makes it less appealing. The wages being kept down by too many applicants.
So true! And they should be trained with at least a two year certificate and paid accordingly. Instead of mandating for profit healthcare the government should be making sure businesses can't abuse helpless people.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:33 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Yep, we are paying for our lack of a legal comprehensive immigration/guest worker program. We also have a screwed up H1b Visa program. While so many Americans were getting worthless degrees, they could have been getting worthwhile Stem degrees that would be filling the supposed void in these positions.

You mean amnesty? No thanks and we already have enough guest worker programs. Foreigners are replacing Americans on those job but they should go for a degree anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies