Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2017, 08:52 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
How about making wages high enough for Americans to see it as a career. You know, if the left would stop saying kids and young people don't want these jobs, possibly, more would start working at these jobs.

I don't understand why any of you would want a foreigner taking care of your loved ones over a trained American doing the job!
By any chance, have you seen who is "taking care of our loved ones?"

Before going back to college, two of our nieces worked as a CNA in several different assisted living, and memory care facilities.

Both are remarkable, dependable, hard-working, competent women. Neither could ever get full-time hours at any one place so they always worked at least two jobs.

And both told stories of co-workers who were undependable, had numerous issues in their own life that not only resulted in missed shifts but being in such emotional turmoil they were unable to be very caring to the elderly residents.

Both said that co-workers from other cultures were by far the most caring and dependable coworkers.

Increasing the pay and benefits would no doubt attract a more dependable pool of Americans. But who pays for that? Most families are already at their limit for care and now there's a push to diminish Medicaid funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 09:10 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Yes I have seen the cartoons before. There is a diversity of people and their opinions in the Libertarian party. I think that is a healthy thing. Its not like the GOP and Democrats are lock step with their respective parties. Often people on both the right and left are single issue people often guns and abortion being those issues. With libertarians its that way too. Perhaps drug legalization or non interventionist foreign policy.

As far as why Libertarians don't get more votes. The two parties make it very difficult. People have been brainwashed into picking D or R. And it comes down to money. As of March of 2016 during the primaries the candidates had raised:

Libertarian Johnson, with $320,000

Green Party candidate Jill Stein, with $223,000

Clinton $180 million

Trump $48 million

And to get matching funds the parties needed to get 5% in the last general election which did not happen. With the money difference its amazing that the Libertarians got 3 or 4%.
Right. There is diversity among Libertarians, but all Democrats and Republicans are in "lock step" with one another. Funny that one, and everyone else being "brainwashed into picking D or R" is just as funny if not more so. Proof as I first guessed. You Libertarians think y'all are just smarter than the other 97 percent of Americans who cast their votes. I get it.

Think again is all I can suggest. Maybe review those cartoons a little more carefully, because although they are humorous, the truth behind the humor is worth some serious reflection if you want to get closer to the truth about why Libertarian philosophy doesn't really work for most people better versed in how people behave and/or how the world turns...

Old 08-21-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
https://www.propublica.org/article/n...ts-on-snapchat

I would never, ever put a loved one in a nursing home. I repeat, NEVER! So much abuse goes on there. The fact is most of the elders are going to need a child or close relative to care for them, not a nursing home. You'll have to change plans and rearrange your life some to do it. It will be hard, but people all over the world do this and it's the only way to limit the abuse.

People who work in any healthcare industry at the lowest level get paid crap. Why? Because our healthcare system is FOR A PROFIT so we cannot afford good help. It needs to be non profit, government regulated, and monitored for safety because this obviously doesn't come naturally to humans, illegal or native. Both have abused seniors in these homes because these people in these jobs are the bottom of the barrel. It's hard work.

Instead of hiring SLAVE labor to make it affordable we need to get rid of the PROFIT. Most seniors don't want assistance, they want to die in their homes doing what they want. I hope we wake up to the seriousness of our crappy mandated for profit healthcare system which leaves patients of it ripe for abuse!
Yet another who presumes to know what others are dealing with, and with an argument that could also be used to shut down for-profit hospitals where there have also been cases of abuse...

Our family is fairly well-versed on this subject by now, and very happy with the facilities and care our parents have received. My one sister is an executive for a company that owns and operates such facilities. Let's start with her when it comes to housing either of my parents in need of special care. She's already with a husband who suffered from a stroke many years back, also needing special care at her home. That you too?

Old 08-21-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
25 "Hispanics" against 1 "white"? Sorry; I don't believe your company "can't" get good help, it's called maybe you NEED to raise wages and NOT treat your hired help like slaves. Either that or you need to run things better or, close your doors. Period.
You don't seem to know the first thing about what I am explaining, starting with how I don't set the wage. The company who hires my company to find workers sets the wage. Nevertheless, we never paid lower than the minimum wage which in my state is among the highest. Period.

PS: I'm happily retired now and those doors closed some time ago, profitably I might add.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:23 AM

Needing to sign off now and head out for maybe a chance to see the eclipse!

Old 08-21-2017, 11:27 AM

62,940 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Before going back to college, two of our nieces worked as a CNA in several different assisted living, and memory care facilities.

Both are remarkable, dependable, hard-working, competent women. Neither could ever get full-time hours at any one place so they always worked at least two jobs.

And both told stories of co-workers who were undependable, had numerous issues in their own life that not only resulted in missed shifts but being in such emotional turmoil they were unable to be very caring to the elderly residents.

Both said that co-workers from other cultures were by far the most caring and dependable coworkers.

Increasing the pay and benefits would no doubt attract a more dependable pool of Americans. But who pays for that? Most families are already at their limit for care and now there's a push to diminish Medicaid funding.
As long as they aren't illegal aliens I have no problem with foreigners working those jobs.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
Amnesty can be used to negotiate. In exhange for amnesty, end birth right citizenship, immigration enforcement like e-verify for business or more strict, higher requirements and reduce number of h1b visas, no welfare for any illegal immigrant, and a host of other similar outstanding issues. Amnesty be enact only after all the above issues are resolved. For example, no amnesty until e-verity, birth citizenship ended, ect.

Um no, no amnesty whatsoever. Our national security and well being shouldn't be something bargained for.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:33 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Your story just proves, if anything at all, is that Americans are too damn lazy to do anything that requires them to not be on their phones and social media. They just don't want it. They would rather suck off of their parents or the government. At least in your area anyway.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:01 PM

36,520 posts, read 30,856,131 times
[quote=GotHereQuickAsICould;49264574]
Quote:
Well I have. My Aunt was in a facility for two years. I got to know many employees over that time. I also have family members who work now and have worked in elder care for $8/hr.
Quote:

There is an example of why many don't keep these type jobs. Not only is the pay often low employers wont allow a person to get full time hours so they dont have to offer benefits.

Quote:

Pretty much in any business there are going to be employees who talk negatively about other employees. No offense to your nieces but that's their opinion as a co worker unless it was their job to supervise other employees and write up reviews on their job performance.

Quote:
So the answer to the high cost of elder care is to fill positions with illegals and legal visa holders who can work for low wages and poor working conditions, qualify for government assistance, strain our school systems, ERs, Health departments, jails, courts, police, municipal services. Do you ever wonder why illegal immigrants can work for $7/hr. As far a visa holders I'm not sure how they are able to survive on those wages. I doubt they are single mothers or trying to pay the mortgage on that salary but it is still much better pay and working conditions than they would have in their home country.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Your story just proves, if anything at all, is that Americans are too damn lazy to do anything that requires them to not be on their phones and social media. They just don't want it. They would rather suck off of their parents or the government. At least in your area anyway.

Totally false and offensive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies