Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 01:06 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I have a couple of pistols, and am going to buy a shotgun in the near future, so I am not opposed to gun ownership. HOWEVER, for the life of me, I have no frickin' idea why regular citizens should be allowed to buy weapons that are made to spray as many bullets as possible in the least amount of time.

Hunting rifles and arms to protect yourself and your home, fine. Assault weapons, no way.
This line of thinking never ceases to amaze me. Rifles like the AR 15 are no more deadly when misused by criminals that ANY other firearm. If a person with murder on their mind climate s into a closed knower or so.e sure how antagonist point with a hunting rifle such as you mention as being fine for citizen use, with their scope dialed in and may e 40 rounds of ammunition (two boxes for a rifle chambered in a common round) .they could do far more damage than some clown with an AR who tosses the rifle to their hip and "stays as many bullets as possible."

Then your tune will change and "military type sniper weapons" (formerly hunting rifles) will suddenly scare you to death and a call for a ban on such deadly "military firearms "designed to hit targets at long range and kill as many people as possible with just a few rounds of ammunition" will be on your to do list.

These calls for bans on certain classes of firearms will never stop. Some design feature or another will be rough up and inflated beyond recognition as being "unsuited for civilian use" staged and phony demonstrations of this magi AL capability (probably using a completely different firearm and ammunition that gives the desired graphic disintegration of a watermelon or some such liquidy media) thus "proving" how deadly these targeted firearms are.

Such demonstrations using ammunition standard to an AR 15 or the oky doky hunting rifles mentioned will be father u impressive on a watermelon or pumpkin or whatever. So the hapless melon or whatever will wind up taking a buck and ball 12 ga round or perhaps a 45 with standard rounds used by LE like Golden Saber at close range. Something that will produce a satisfactory explosion of the target and these results will be said to be from an "assault rifle" or "sniper rifle."

I'm just totally fed up with the lies and fear mongering. The outright falsehoods and fabrications of the capabilities of certtain firearms . The attempted technical talk pointing at certain cosmetic and ergonomic features such as pistol grips, muzzle brakes, rail systems, and such other innocuous features as being Star Wars tech installed on a firearm to make it a more efficient killer. Some of these ban happy idiots have even claimed the rifle itself makes ammunition put in it more deadly somehow. Another one of those "military" features that civilians just don't "need."

But no worries. Nobody wants to take your hunting rifles and shotguns. But while we have one class of firearm on the hopping block you don't really "need" a handgun. Those are for military and law enforcement use. Since cops have them, you have no need of a ha dgun for defensive use. You have 911 and someone with a ha dgun will be there as soon as possible. In the meantime just give any home invaders whatever they want and they won't hurt you. An officer will be there soon to take your statement (or call the ME and CSU but they won't mention that possibility)

These frantic sounding statements like the post quoted here just annoy and bore the hell out of me. It's the same old tired rhetoric over and over. Nobody wants to take your hunting firearms, anning whatever gun will not effect your ability to hunt. Only firearms with no "sporting purpose" will be effected. Your 2A rights are uneffected.

WTFE. if taking away my AR 15, my handguns, my "non sporting " shotgun, my "sniper rifle" (aka deer rifle) will make us so much safer then the way I see it the cops don't need such weapons either. The way I see things, if the cops "need" such hardware then so do i. Such need to be determined by me. Citizens (we are NOT "civilians" to cops and they eed to stop referring to us as such, Cops are not soldiers) shod be lower access to the very same firearms and ammunition that LE uses. Cops are citizens just like us. Their uniform is not that of the armed forces of the United States and they are NOT combat personnel. They are servants of the citizenry, and their badge and uniform are symbs of their volunteering for that service. They are granted certain authority by the general citizenry to act on our behalf, but in truth uninformed citizens have power and authority to make arrests under certain circumstances, and also have the power (or would duty be a better term) to act in defense of self and the public by means of lethal force when justified and feasible.

That is my answer to these frantic, fearful, uninformed and totally uneducated calls for bans on certain firearms. It bos down pretty simple. If the cops "need" these types of arms then the general citizenry shod not be delivered ied access to the same ,if they determine a need. Want to ban rifles like the AR, handguns, certain types of ammunition? Fine (no not really) Then take them away from the police too. The reasons for doing so I've already stated. If you can't use actual "common sense" on this issue then please keep your seat. The incessant wailing about public safety and how our rights are uneffected because we can still hunt lack the common sense to be taken seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 07:27 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Stupid idea based on an irrational fear of a tool that is rarely used in criminal shootings. Want to impact the number of deaths by firearms, deal with the mental health issue we as a People have swept under the rug for countless generations, the fact of the matter is most of those firearms deaths are by Suicide. The next leading cause is criminal activity and gang warfare, which I will remind you is already a crime and no ban on assault rifles will change a thing in that area. Feel Good laws banning specific firearms have not made anyone safer it has just reduced the ability of honest citizens to defend themselves, their families, and their property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies