Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 04:56 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,616,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Let's just shut all the colleges/universities down, just to be sure that no more brainwashing will occur. Hell, my grandparents didn't go to college; my parents didn't go to college and my sister and I didn't go to college and we made it through life. People can just finish high school and get a job; maybe serve an apprenticeship. Would that make the anti-college people happy? MAGA?
Yes! A High school diploma will get you a job!

A McJob.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 05:04 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,085 times
The interesting thing about liberal arts degrees is that you (for the most part) can take whatever you wish. That might be a course in art history. Or nuclear physics. Do well and you can go to one of the best law schools. Or to medical school and become a doctor. Or do mathematical research. Or teach. Or whatever.

Many people do not finally work in what they major in at the universities. Your interests could (and likely will) be entirely different at age 40 or 50 than when you were 20.

One just never knows how the future might turn out.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:06 PM

5,895 posts, read 3,894,360 times
It's so funny reading threads like this which reminds me why many of us have lost total faith in American humanity.

These threads never go well and ultimately turn into a HS vs college pissing contest between the "my diploma is better than your degree" crowd and the educated elites. And then you have a colony of right wing pests who believe that you can get "educated" by simply skipping college and just learning everything off of the internet. Yeah, because the conservatives around here who unknowingly throw around fake Thomas Jefferson quotes surely know what they're talking about. And then the most overused and tired cliche of "you're just gonna work at Starbucks" gets tossed around, too. Because its hard for people to understand that its college students (not grads) working at these places because retail jobs requires nights/weekends availability which, just happens, is the easiest to revolve around one's class schedule. Now, this gets thrown around by people who probably never worked while in college, or attended college, but I'll let you take your pick!

Maybe I should start a thread called "Should conservatives get degrees in the liberal arts?" and see where it leads. In fact, I probably will. Because remember, anyone who majors in the L.A. is a worthless piece of scum UNLESS they're one of us....

Old 08-12-2017, 05:09 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
What? Where on earth did you get that from? I have neither explicitly said or vaguely implied that. EVER.
Oh come on, after Trump won leftist were out in mobs making fun of people who didn't go to college and voted for Trump... calling them uneducated, stupid, illiterates and of course deplorable racist. But not a peep from you until someone voiced an opinion on the education and YOUR RIGHTS.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Yes! A High school diploma will get you a job!

A McJob.............
Ok so to break it down. Does the ROI has to make sense? One gets a job and works his way up, (or starts a business). The other get themselves thousands of dollars ($50k, $70k etc) in debt to go to college and can't find a job or works at Starbucks. Who do you think is better off?

Maybe we should have a conversation about those greedy educators. But the media doesn't want you to look at that and you comply, think how you're told to think and ignore what you're told to ignore. The entire thing is actually a damn shame. Kids shouldn't have to sell their soul to get an education.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:15 PM

5,895 posts, read 3,894,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ok so to break it down. Does the ROI has to make sense? One gets a job (or starts a business) right out of HS. The other gets themselves thousands of dollars ($50k, $70k etc) in debt to go to college and can't find a job or works at Starbucks. Who do you think is better off?
Probably the person who went to college and then got a job, but you left that part out.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:16 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Oh come on, after Trump won leftist were out in mobs making fun of people who didn't go to college and voted for Trump... calling them uneducated, stupid, illiterates and of course deplorable racist. But not a peep from you until someone voiced an opinion on the education and YOUR RIGHTS.
That is a bunch of complete nonsense. You have no idea about my position on such matters. I have never ridiculed people without degrees. My own family is a combination of those who have gone on to higher education and those who have not. I would not denigrate them or anyone else without a degree. EVER.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
That is a bunch of complete nonsense. You have no idea about my position on such matters. I have never ridiculed people without degrees. My own family is a combination of those who have gone on to higher education and those who have not. I would not denigrate them or anyone else without a degree. EVER.
There was a lot of denigration coming from the left after the election when you were banging your head trying to figure out how Hillary lost.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:22 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Talking Oh, come on...

Quote:
tRump started it and the Trumplings ate it up with a spoon.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:23 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
There was a lot of denigration coming from the left after the election when you were banging your head trying to figure out how Hillary lost.
And you know this how exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies