Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 08:45 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
Simple: 3 posters here already admitted their personal drop in movie going due to politics. Myself included.
Yes, that's simple. Way too simple have any kind of validity? You failed to mention all the other posters who discount politics as their reason.

Not exactly statistically significant

Old 08-12-2017, 08:47 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yes, that's simple. Way too simple have any kind of validity? You failed to mention all the other posters who discount politics as their reason.

He only asked for evidence.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:54 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:
Thank you. I quit going to the movies on a regular basis a long time ago. With On Demand, streaming services, etc ~ who needs to trek out to the theater and shell out $$$$$$$$$$$?

Such is what I have read in the past few years concerning the decline of attendance. Indeed, rather frequently a movie will come out that my wife and I have some interest in seeing, but will opt to wait for it to appear on HBO or such. I doubt we are alone in such change of habits. One can't go to a store without seeing that 'home theaters' has become a big seller.

At the theater we do go to (a multi screen in a mall), they made a huge change last year: each of the 8 theaters could hold 150-250 people (size varied). Theater by theater the ownership yanked out all the normal seats, and installed these wonderful, large electrical reclining seats. Now, I believe each theater averages seating for 75 people.

I thought it odd to deliberately reduce the number of paying customers that a screen could accommodate. On reflection, I determined that the ownership decided that attendance was down, anyway, and so might as well change the seating accommodations to attract people back (better to have 75 people fill 75 seats, than 50 people fill 250 seats).

I believe it has worked. Our attendance has ticked up, since we enjoy the seats and not having strangers elbowing us. I was irritated that it had become almost mandatory to reserve your seat online (due to the limited space), but after the first few times doing so (and selecting the seats we wanted), I am now sold on the idea.

However, while such has drawn us 'older' people back (for I see many my age or older), I doubt it will do much to entice the young generation whom seem satisfied to watch a movie on a cellular telephone, streaming, etc.

Regardless, it is akin to 'moving the deck chairs around on the Titanic'. The ownership may have bought some more time, but I imagine that such theaters will dwindle over the next decade, much as the malls are.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:00 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Such is what I have read in the past few years concerning the decline of attendance. Indeed, rather frequently a movie will come out that my wife and I have some interest in seeing, but will opt to wait for it to appear on HBO or such. I doubt we are alone in such change of habits. One can't go to a store without seeing that 'home theaters' has become a big seller.

At the theater we do go to (a multi screen in a mall), they made a huge change last year: each of the 8 theaters could hold 150-250 people (size varied). Theater by theater the ownership yanked out all the normal seats, and installed these wonderful, large electrical reclining seats. Now, I believe each theater averages seating for 75 people.

I thought it odd to deliberately reduce the number of paying customers that a screen could accommodate. On reflection, I determined that the ownership decided that attendance was down, anyway, and so might as well change the seating accommodations to attract people back (better to have 75 people fill 75 seats, than 50 people fill 250 seats).

I believe it has worked. Our attendance has ticked up, since we enjoy the seats and not having strangers elbowing us. I was irritated that it had become almost mandatory to reserve your seat online (due to the limited space), but after the first few times doing so (and selecting the seats we wanted), I am now sold on the idea.

However, while such has drawn us 'older' people back (for I see many my age or older), I doubt it will do much to entice the young generation whom seem satisfied to watch a movie on a cellular telephone, streaming, etc.

Regardless, it is akin to 'moving the deck chairs around on the Titanic'. The ownership may have bought some more time, but I imagine that such theaters will dwindle over the next decade, much as the malls are.
We have a spectacular home theater system ourselves. There is simply no need to trek to the movies; when I can go downstairs and see a movie in my own home!

That said, my work team and I often to go a local theater (like yours with online reservations and reclining seats) for a matinee after work. It's the only theater I will go to now! They also serve cocktails if you want, etc.

I'm 56 so I consider myself 'older' as well!

The thing is . . I really DETEST all these so-called 'action hero' movies that seem to be all the rage .

Old 08-12-2017, 09:03 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
However, I will see Dunkirk!
It was awesome

Old 08-12-2017, 09:03 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:

Even though I think Mel Gibson's politics are atrocious, I have all 3 of his Mad Max DVD's, and will binge watch them when they appeal to me more than the current local theater offerings. I HIGHLY doubt that the average movie goer spends much time thinking about the politics of the actors and directors. They just wanna see a good movie.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:07 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
It was awesome
I saw it in iMax, and may go see it again. I was so completely wrung out by the end that I couldn't move until ALL the credits were over.

The guy next to me was the same, and it was his third viewing.

And I neither know nor care about the politics of anyone involved in making it. It is a darn good movie, and I am grateful to all the folks who worked on it.

Last edited by jacqueg; 08-12-2017 at 09:24 AM..

Old 08-12-2017, 09:11 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
It was awesome
That's what I have heard. Any movies with ME-109's (BF-109), and Spitfires has to be good!

Old 08-12-2017, 09:13 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuanQuixote View Post
That happens when you politicize movies and insult half the country.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...mmer-from-hell
Your conclusion that it's "political' is pretty dumb considering that:

A) Hollywood has been Left-leaning for DECADES
B) Last years numbers were pretty darned good - Are you claiming that somehow movies suddenly became more political in just the last 6 months? You DO know don't you that films are YEARS in the preparation and making.

I swear you folks come up with the silliest theories I've ever heard.

It's pretty simple. This years numbers are low because too many of the big summer "crowdpleaser blockbusters" were LOUSY.

Ken

Old 08-12-2017, 09:15 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,454,502 times
In a few speeches they let us know they didn't care if we didn't support them and so we let our wallets do the talking. Not because I disagree with their political stance, but because I find it gross to mix the greatest use of capitalism and social political climate together.

They're rich yet they feel free to gnaw off the hand that feeds them. Why? Cuz their rich, that's why. They can afford! They obviously new they could take the hit financially before they pursued their political hobbies. I don't imagine they care. They feel empowered, then go for it. But, that doesn't mean i'll agree, or find you appealing after you share your insides with me.

For me, there are just some things I didn't need to know. I watch foreign movies now and I'm quite happy with doing so. I've unlocked a lot more than I thought I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies