Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 11:58 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Thank you very much - you've validated our past discussions - Pigs in a blanket - fry em like bacon.

Screaming these comments meant to intimidate and incite violence - where were you then?
I have already said in another thread - that I don't support folks screaming comments like these so - try again.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:58 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Antifa is made up largely of young people who will moderate in time. Certainly when you were young assuming you're not apart of the current young generation you had some other group that fits somewhere in their far left views (there's going to be obvious differences in direct Issues but they'll be similar).

I don't agree with the tactics or views of either group. With that said, antifa and anyone carrying a nazi flag or dressing like one I don't find comparable.

I question how anyone flying a nazi flag can consider themselves true Americans. I find their use of the word "patriot" laughable. All members of the country should denounce them above all else. They represent a dispicable blot on human history that cost the United States hundreds of thousands, and the world millions of lives to stamp out leaving a continent in rubble.

Just because we have freedom of speech doesn't mean we need to have any tolerance for their garbage.

Trump failed to acknowledge any of this. It was a small thing he could have done. Like normal though, he failed.
And yet - when Obama didn't recognize the violence incited by the BLM - you all were OK with that.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:00 PM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I have already said in another thread - that I don't support folks screaming comments like these so - try again.
Sorry - but I don't read your posts usually - you just came off my blocked list - but in the past many of you did indeed find nothing wrong with BLM inciting violence like this.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:03 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It does matter. The first amendment isn't unfettered. One can't scream 'FIRE" in a crowded theater, etc.

Screaming racial epithets and anti-semitic remarks was clearly meant to intimidate and incite violence.

Just give it up. Your reasoning is one-sided.
The left went to Trump rallies and called names and gave the finger to people as they walked the aisle. If one dare got violent the left went nuts. Double standard as usual.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:05 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Would you say that the anti-protester intentionally put herself in danger by attending? Would you say that she provoked a group of people who were there first?
I would. Trying to stop free speech is wrong and will never turn out good. I hate and despise what the statue destroyers are doing but I would never hit the streets to stop even one of them. I am looking forward to the next election so I can let the un-American politicians who are cuddling BLM and condemning other groups know how I feel about it.

I don't think I am a supreme anything but free speech should not be quenched. When we get to the point where only one class of people get to peacefully assemble we are no longer a free America but a communist country instead. PC thinks only their group should be heard. That's not a free America.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:06 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Sorry - but I don't read your posts usually - you just came off my blocked list - but in the past many of you did indeed find nothing wrong with BLM inciting violence like this.
Oh goodness. I'm touched.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:08 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,755,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You really do not understand what I and many others believe in. I am conservative, I believe in Jesus and Gods word, i support traditional values, I do support the principles of states rights and southern rights fought for by the confederate states of America. That being said almost everyone, myself included acknowledge slavery was wrong. However the whole nation was wrong about how the enslaved Africans were treated, not just the south because it was economically trapped by it. The confederacy was an attempt to preserve the America that the constitution established, not the one we have today. I support displaying the confederate flag, support monuments to southern patriots. I support honoring those who fought for the confederacy as much as those who fought in other American wars. I also support monuments to peaceful civil rights icons like MLK. Being proud of southern history does not mean being a racist or supporting racists. David Duke was a kkk leader and a violent racist. Men displaying nazi flags do not speak for the south or any American for that matter. If you look at the sons of the confederacy website you will see what is an appropriate view of confederate history. They honor confederate veterans without supporting racist like Duke. Please do not think we support the likes of David Duke. The way those people acted today in Virginia did not help us in anyway, really it is just red meat for those who want to connect true conservative people like me to racist trash like David Duke.

May I ask why does it matter to someone in New York whether or not a confederate flag flies in Tennessee or a statue stands to the confederacy in Georgia or Virginia? There is a sense of our national history being under attack here, southern culture under attack. This is why people are so mad. It's not just Nazis like the ones on TV but regular folks who are tired of this stuff.
That's a great question that you asked. It matters because as citizens of this great nation we should be able to travel to any state in the union without having a symbol of racism and hate being displayed in our faces. It's VERY offensive symbol to Minorities, Jews, Catholics, LGBT and others. It's a symbol of an Apartheid state . No citizen should be subjected to that. Private citizens have the right to have any flag they want. They fly Confederate flags here as well in NY. It's part of Redneck culture here. That's their right to do so. We know what it means and we stay away from them. That's fine. When it's on public lands and structures it's a problem.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:08 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No, because you've clearly misunderstood me.

It's not that people have a "different view" on Trump. People can hate him or like him, neither are idiots. They are idiots when they are so blinded by their hatred that everything is about him, he can do no good ever, everything is somehow his fault. The internet is full of people like this. I scroll through twitter and roll my eyes at the utter dramatics of some people. It's idiotic and irrational. Same goes for people who so irrationally hate Obama, btw. It's not just about Trump. It's just impossible to hold a conversation or argue with some people because of how clearly one-sided they are and just the hatred they hold.

I do not "favor" either side here. I am a political moderate and find both the Nazi groups and the antifa and yes even BLM groups to be extremists and pretty deplorable. In this situation though I do feel that the counter-protestors should have just left the original protestors alone, to their constitutional right to legally hold a protest, that was being watched and controlled by police. I don't see the point in counter-protesting either Nazis or BLM when those protests were happening frequently within the last couple years, and people showed up to protest the protestors. I think it's counter-productive and leads to violence that probably wouldn't have occurred had the initial demonstrators just been left alone. I think both groups are to blame for this incident but I do think that the second group should never have come out in the first place. It's not because I don't support them and that I support the other side, no, it's just that I personally don't see the point in protesting a protest and the beliefs of those protestors. I don't think it accomplishes anything.

I have not been emotional at all here. I'm sorry you see it differently but I know how I feel and how I've been posting. I don't have a particularly strong feeling in any direction here. I'm calm and rational. Despite how you think I come across I don't care about either side, it's more the tactics and behaviors of either side that I see an issue with in this incident. It's clear who the actual emotional ones are. I don't think being dramatic or emotional gets you anywhere in political conversations. Politics is hard enough to talk about.
Thanks for this explanation, but I already understood your posts and views. This post of yours is rational, but the earlier one was not to the same degree (again name calling is emotional; it just is. Most here have done it, so relax you have company).

The Twitter situation is a self inflicted wound by Trump. He uses it for far more insults than the average American. He is no "innocent" where Twitter is concerned. Have you ever rolled your eyes at his Twitter rants? Lol. Should our President have a slightly higher standard than the average citizen?

I put more blame on the alt right group for the incident. First, I believed the torches were unnecessary and a potential hazard. They also intimidated churchgoers the night before. They left the area where they were supposed to remain during the protest.They clearly incited the situation and were reckless. It was their supporter that killed the woman and injured several others. Two officers died. Crowd control procedures needed to be better there. Usually there is a space between two protesting groups.

Positive emotion can be good. When people seriously exaggerate or lie, a negative emotional reaction is justified (not saying you did, but there are people that do). Depends on our audience, too. Facts are more important.

Thanks for sharing your views.

Last edited by chessgeek; 08-13-2017 at 12:29 PM..

Old 08-13-2017, 12:09 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
And yet - when Obama didn't recognize the violence incited by the BLM - you all were OK with that.
Sorry, not gonna fly. He did indeed call them out.
President Obama Calls Out Black Lives Matter Activists for 'Yelling' - NBC News

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/24/u...n-yelling.html

What else ya got?

Old 08-13-2017, 12:11 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I would. Trying to stop free speech is wrong and will never turn out good. I hate and despise what the statue destroyers are doing but I would never hit the streets to stop even one of them. I am looking forward to the next election so I can let the un-American politicians who are cuddling BLM and condemning other groups know how I feel about it.

I don't think I am a supreme anything but free speech should not be quenched. When we get to the point where only one class of people get to peacefully assemble we are no longer a free America but a communist country instead.
The white nationals did not come to exercise their free speech rights, they came to incite violence and terrorize, they left the area they had permission to be in, they left he area to confront the counter protesters. If they were really interested in free speech they would have assembled lawfully and stayed there and not come dressed in full riot gear. No way around their motives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies