Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 11:40 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,084,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Every income property is someone else's outgo property.
I have 23. I provide housing for others in exchange for a fee in line with market rates which includes a certain amount of profit for me. Where's the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 11:42 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,084,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
For people unable to own their home, don't they pretty much have a negative stake?
They have to live somewhere, don't they? If renting is less expensive than buying, it may be their preferred option - the other being residence under an overpass. They have a choice.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:28 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
That's a rarity and limited to a few locations.

Additionally, until they sell, they haven't profited a dime. Ask people who saw their Enron stock soar.
OK. All I said was the value rises... up to the individual if they sell it at the right time and realize that value or not.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:32 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
Both. But I disagree with investors not paying capital gains tax, while claiming tax breaks on mortgages ... like the current situation in NZ.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:32 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
Investments which pay negative dividends (like houses) are generally not good investments.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Most homes are not a very good investment.

If you are concerned with the best return on your money, you should buy the least expensive housing possible. Since most people spend much more money than they need to, they are actually choosing lifestyle over money.

I do not view my home as an investment, because it is not. My home is about comfort, lifestyleand even a touch of vanity.

Many slumlords disagree. Low-end housing generally has higher ROI than high-end housing.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
No. Not if they invest the savings. People typically rent less house than they buy. If they invested the difference, many would come out ahead of the increase they would have realized in home value.

And just like renting, the cost of home ownership never ends. Taxes, insurance, repairs etc. guarantee that a house will always cause cash outflow.

For people unable to buy a home, or to invest elsewhere, don't they pretty much have a negative stake? And both taxes and insurance are generally higher on rental property than on owner-occupied homes. And every income property is someone else's outgo property,.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
They have to live somewhere, don't they? If renting is less expensive than buying, it may be their preferred option - the other being residence under an overpass. They have a choice.
IF renting is less expensive than owning - last I looked, renting was more expensive than owning in 48 of the top 50 U.S. housing markets. While it is the norm for owning to be the preferred option of homeowners, it is not the norm for renting to be the preferred option of renters. Rent serfs effectively don't have meaningful options.\

I have to live somewhere. I'd like to live in a small affordable hovel. Why don't I have that option?

Last edited by freemkt; 08-13-2017 at 01:25 PM..

Old 08-13-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I have 23. I provide housing for others in exchange for a fee in line with market rates which includes a certain amount of profit for me. Where's the problem?

In line with market rates rigged by NIMBY homeowners who use government to restrict the supply for their own fun and profit.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Investments which pay negative dividends (like houses) are generally not good investments.

The overwhelming majority of Americans who have a choice - choose to OWN their home. For them, the psychic benefits of owning a home are nonnegotiable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies