Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 06:06 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
IMO, entertainers pull out the right wing card when their careers fall short of their dreams or their aging acts no longer put butts in the seats. Was Ted Nugent complaining back in the 70s about his lack of recognition due to his stances on guns and politics? Did Tim Allen say that liberals were holding him back when he was operating at the peak of his career in TV and film? Did James Woods complain about being blackballed in Hollywood when he was starring in many high profile films at the peak of his popularity? When the world got tired of Dennis Miller, he adopted his right wing schtick and blamed his career decline on his political views.

It takes a special type of snowflake to claim that the reason the world won't recognize their greatness is due to their political beliefs.
Not Really. How many outspoken liberals are there in country music. The Dixi Chicks lost about half their fans and almost destroyed their careers by stating their political beliefs. Coming out in Hollywood as a conservative now days is a career killer unless you're not very outspoken about it, and you're already established like Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis, or Adam Sander.

I say this as someone that's not religious and politically somewhere in the middle. I'm only saying that because I know that I'm about to get called a right-wing bible thumping racist hatemonger for keeping it real. I'm simply removing that card from the deck before it can even be played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Which begs the question: how are a lot of these Glam bands gonna be treated when it's time for Hall induction. A lot of them have been eligible for quite a while.

I never had much use for most of 'em, but I have to give them credit for being about as big as a band can get. Some of those bands played to some tremendous sized crowds at some huge festivals. They sold hundreds of millions of records.

Unfortunately though, we've got a whole generation of people that were introduced to Rock through what's thought of as Glam Rock. Sad.

BTW...Kid Rock is getting in on the basis of what exactly?
I think the crue, Def Leppard and Bon Jovi are the only ones that get in. The crue has the numbers, and they're the most influential band of that era. Bon Jovi and Def leppard have the numbers and the mega hits. I can't see anyone else from that scene getting in besides Guns n Roses, and they're already in.

He's the most successful rock artist of his era. Name one Rocker from the 2000's that is still selling massive stadiums out by themselves outside of Nickel back who is quickly losing steam. All the big Bands from that era didn't last. Kid Rock deciding to somewhat go country was the best decision he ever made. When it's all said and done, he'll have the numbers, He would have over 100 million albums right now if people still paid for music. He already has a few top 30 songs including a #4 if you think that matters. He's been in film, pop culture, and he might even be a politician as crazy as that sounds. There is no way he's not getting in unless they don't allow him in.

Just for the record, the Kid's music is absolutely awful IMO

Old 08-30-2017, 01:54 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,189,705 times
Nugent is not that good. He is from my era and the type of music I was a fan of but never cared for his, never bought his albums nor remember anyone who had one. He was just a wanna be. Probably most of his fans are Detroit and East coast, their hometown idol. He just wasn't that universally liked. IMO

Old 08-30-2017, 02:52 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post

He's the most successful rock artist of his era. Name one Rocker from the 2000's that is still selling massive stadiums out by themselves outside of Nickel back who is quickly losing steam. All the big Bands from that era didn't last.
Nickelback? Lol. Yes, Foo Fighters & Pearl Jam.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:56 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
who's who of never were...

Motley Crue
Skid Row
Warrant
Poison
Nickelback

Old 08-30-2017, 03:03 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
This is an absolute joke of a post.

Seriously, read that word salad you just posted. There isn't a coherent thought there. Are you trolling, or is your reading comprehension really this bad?

I'll connect the dots for you

I don't think Marvin Gaye or the Supremes should be in the R&R HOF because I don't believe they're Rock and role artists. A debate about if they're actually rock and roll and their worthiness of being in the R&R HOF ensued with anther poster.

THEN you came stumbling into the finish line without any previous knowledge of what was being debated only to point out that Marvin Gaye is in the R&R HOF as if nobody was aware if of it.

This happened. As you just said, the previous comments are there for everyone to see.

Also, I can't stand grunge music. You didn't understand that post either. It would appear that you don't really understand much of anything. You can post a rebuttal, but we both know you just got soaked in gasoline and lit on fire in the world of Internet scuffles. Cut your losses and move on. You didn't lose a debate, you never even understood what was being debated.

Once again.............
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks072waMayk
Marvin Gaye was definitely rock and roll.

The overwhelming majority of R&R artists in the second half of the 1960s and in the 1970s were influenced by Gaye's music. The Rolling Stones, the Who, David Bowie, Lou Reed, Van Morrison, Creedence, Iggy Pop, , Bruce Springsteen, and all the people they influenced, all influenced by Marvin.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Nickelback? Lol. Yes, Foo Fighters & Pearl Jam.
Yes, Nickelback. They're the most generic band to ever do it, but they're incredibly successful. They have half a dozen top 10 hits, which is literally unheard of for a rock band. They still sell out stadiums, and they've sold over 50 million albums in an era where people don't buy music. Just because we don't like them doesn't mean they suck.

While the Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam are far more influential, they have had nowhere even near the same type of commercial success as Nickelback or kid Rock. I say this without a dog in the fight, as I don't like any of these bands outside of a few tunes the Foo fighters have done.

If you really want to get into it, Creed and linkin park have had far more commercial success than the foo fighters or Pearl Jam too. They just didn't last.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
who's who of never were...

Motley Crue
Skid Row
Warrant
Poison
Nickelback
So how old are you kid?

If these bands where never popular, we wouldn't still be making fun of them today

The Crue has sold over 100 million albums, and they are widely considered the bee's knees of 80's hair rock. They will always hold a place in rock history, as they were the absolute peak of sex, drugs, and rock n roll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies