Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 08:50 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times

Advertisements

he condemned the riots and violence

To say he showed support is a total lie

there is nothing he said that makes it looks like he supports it

the average American will look at that and see nothing wrong, a political extremist or virtue signaler will though.

most people know The culture of racist identity politics and political violence did not start with Donald Trump, or the right. It was being done by the left before Trump was even elected
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 08:54 PM

99,616 posts, read 4,494,366 times
You mean political extremists like Marco Rubio and Orrin Hatch?

Donald Trump under fire from Republicans for response to Charlottesville violence*

Old 08-13-2017, 08:54 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
You mean political extremists like Marco Rubio and Orrin Hatch?

Donald Trump under fire from Republicans for response to Charlottesville violence*
I mentioned virtue signalers as well. Plenty of Republicans gladly suck up to try and look good these days

Old 08-13-2017, 09:03 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
It's pretty obvious that I have no love for Donald Trump at all, however, I will also be honest when I look at things. Personally, I didn't find much to criticize Trump for in that speech. Yeah, he glossed over the mayhem caused by a radical fringe element who had no business coming to that town, except they wanted to intimidate and bully. But then, he went on to say these problems started way before him, and way BEFORE OBAMA.

That last part surprised me, it was almost like he was making nice nice with Obama and being honest for a change. In comparison to his usual blowhard speeches, I thought this one was fairly straightforward and tame.

If he could only control himself more times and act like an intelligent, mature human being, he would not bring on the majority of the criticism he gets. I think, because of his normal behavior, people are looking for any little thing to dump on him about....only he can change that perception.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:03 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
One group is never all wrong and the other all wrong. He is the president of everybody. It is false to think a person is a white supremacist just because they don't want American historical artwork destroyed. I know many silent majority people who are very sad about the destruction of these statues. None of us will ever go to the streets and march but that doesn't mean we don't care what is going on. We are just peaceful people who go about our lives doing as much good as we can and hope the craziness stops soon.

Charlottesville looked scary this weekend. All people out there were responsible for the violence. No one group was any more responsible than the other. That is not the way the news is telling it though. There is no reasonable reason to start tearing down statues. When they get rid of all the statues will they start killing anyone born in the south?

Old 08-13-2017, 09:09 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
One group is never all wrong and the other all wrong. He is the president of everybody. It is false to think a person is a white supremacist just because they don't want American historical artwork destroyed. I know many silent majority people who are very sad about the destruction of these statues. None of us will ever go to the streets and march but that doesn't mean we don't care what is going on. We are just peaceful people who go about our lives doing as much good as we can and hope the craziness stops soon.

Charlottesville looked scary this weekend. All people out there were responsible for the violence. No one group was any more responsible than the other. That is not the way the news is telling it though. There is no reasonable reason to start tearing down statues. When they get rid of all the statues will they start killing anyone born in the south?

I was born and raised up North, but I can understand how people in the South feel betrayed by statues that represent their past being eliminated. It might not be a good past for some people, but it is a concrete statue, for God's sake, not an alter to the people portrayed in those statues.

We get a little nuts sometimes in our attempts to appease a certain group of people at the expense of another different group. We need to learn to live in the present and not dwell on the sins of the past.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:12 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

It looked scary, but I am always looking beyond the looks of things.

Many times, these protests are planned events by typical Americans. They are used to be provocative.

The police were there and watched on the sidelines as the two sides fought.

I think more important than the event itself, is how the rational adults in the country react to these situations.

The only problem is that due to the extreme nature of these events, the radicals in the suits can make themselves appear to be rational.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:17 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I was born and raised up North, but I can understand how people in the South feel betrayed by statues that represent their past being eliminated. It might not be a good past for some people, but it is a concrete statue, for God's sake, not an alter to the people portrayed in those statues.

We get a little nuts sometimes in our attempts to appease a certain group of people at the expense of another different group. We need to learn to live in the present and not dwell on the sins of the past.
I feel the same. Not from the south so baffled why people would hold on so tight to these statues.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I feel the same. Not from the south so baffled why people would hold on so tight to these statues.
Because they never got over losing.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:28 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I'm from NY.

It's a part of this nations history.
Like it. Love it. Hate it. Irrelevant.

Everyone is being played hardcore by their emotions right now. Both sides.

I'm pointing and laughing at both.

Here's the big picture the left is missing.

Leave those statues and monuments alone!
Let them stand to serve as a reminder of how far this nation has come since then.

There was an evil dictator who believed history could be erased and a class of people persecuted.

Let the statues be.

How would you feel if British Americans declared Lexington and Concord, Saratoga battlefield and other historic preserved areas to be offensive and torn down?

It's a heritage thing.
Both sides were Americans who fought and died for beliefs.

If you have no appreciation for history then I can understand you not understanding.
Let them wave their rebel flags.

Believe it or not... I could take you to places in upstate NY where there are more rebel flags flying in the beds of pickup trucks and out front of folks houses than anywhere I've been in "the south" (Maryland Georgia the Carolinas)
Heck even in Vermont MA and CT too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies