Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 03:36 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Seriously. That goes for blacks, whites, and whoever else.

Your race is not an accomplishment; you did nothing to earn it other than be conceived and plopped out of the vagina of someone of that race. What's there to be proud of? Might as well be proud of having an *******; everyone was born with one of those as well.

"Pride in race" these days is almost always a code for disparagement / segregation of other races.

What you're supposed to be proud of, if you're not an idiot, are actual individual accomplishments - that you worked hard and earned your college degree, raised good kids, paid a kind act forward, created something great, did the right thing when no one was watching and it was hard. And that is open to anyone of any race.

That is how you foster pride that actually builds a society up rather than tears it down.
I'm proud to be an American mutt! People should start by calling themselves what they are, not what some ancestors were 100-200-300 years ago.

BTW, I'm white, brown, and black... making me the perfect tan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 03:37 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,233 times
I am proud to be a Mongrel!!

Old 08-14-2017, 03:40 PM

1,094 posts, read 499,238 times
I think one has to be careful about taking this reasoning too far. In Israel the majority of the people are proud of being Jewish and want the country to remain Jewish-majority, if they're denied that right then the country ceases to exist. They're not alone, the same could probably be said of countries like Japan or Vietnam. I think one has to draw a distinction between settled immigration countries like the US or Canada and countries like Vietnam that have emerged that way with indigenous majority. It probably doesn't make sense to talk so much about "pride" in a diverse immigrant nation. But in most other countries, it's not so much pride as expressing a desire to maintain their ethnic homelands.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:41 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've long long thought this. I don't get all of the various "prides" like you mention it's just a genetic lottery in life.

I don't give much thought to race on that level. It's just not interesting at all. I'm much more intrigued by people's life story, not their genetic code.
As soon as someone is secularly proud to be whatever they're proud to be, they are clearly not as proud of others, which breeds all those nasty isms.

I'm proud to be who I am, where I am, and I wish others would do the same... because, as Americans, that's a damn good place to be.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:42 PM

1,094 posts, read 499,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Culture is a byproduct of race.

I'm proud to be Japanese/Korean and always will be.
Only the Japanese can create Japanese culture, no other race or group can do that.
Yes this makes sense, it's a reason IMHO it's important to differentiate between diverse settled nations like US and ancient nations like Japan or Korea that were created by a given people. The pride idea may not make as much sense in a country like the US created from so many different groups recently, but in a place like Japan or Korea, those are ethnic homelands for an ancient people, so no reason they shouldn't maintain pride in their people and culture. It also means of course that they're very restrictive about immigration, but so be it. That's their right.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:50 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Seriously. That goes for blacks, whites, and whoever else.

Your race is not an accomplishment; you did nothing to earn it other than be conceived and plopped out of the vagina of someone of that race. What's there to be proud of? Might as well be proud of having an *******; everyone was born with one of those as well.

"Pride in race" these days is almost always a code for disparagement / segregation of other races.

What you're supposed to be proud of, if you're not an idiot, are actual individual accomplishments - that you worked hard and earned your college degree, raised good kids, paid a kind act forward, created something great, did the right thing when no one was watching and it was hard. And that is open to anyone of any race.

That is how you foster pride that actually builds a society up rather than tears it down.
I completely and totally disagree with you. You can be proud of who you are, all that you want, no matter what race you are. And yes, I've said that on here before.

It is NOT "code" for anything other than you're proud to be who you are. It does not mean that you think you're "better", it simply means that you are proud of who you are. That's it. Why are you lefties so terrified of that? Is this the new thing...we're all going to make everyone the same, boring, unidentifiable in difference type of people? It's like an episode of the Twilight Zone. For a party that claims to love diversity, the left sure fights that diversity at every fricken chance they get...IF it can somehow hurt a white person.

Is it only okay to be "transgender and proud" or "gay and proud" or "lesbian and proud" because you didn't address that. You're stating that 'being who you naturally are' is not an accomplishment, then surely it goes for those groups, too, right? Who are they disparaging when they say they are 'gay and proud'? Who?

Being proud of being black does not mean you hate every other race.
Being proud of being white does not mean you hate every other race.
Being proud of being Hispanic does not mean you hate every other race.
Being proud of being Asian does not mean you hate every other race.
Being proud of being NDN does not mean you hate every other race.

It simply means that you are proud of your race and your heritage.

Guess what ambient. I'm proud to be white. I'm proud to be Irish and English and Italian. Tough toboggans if you don't like that.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:58 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well....the slogan "I am black and proud" only came about because "blackness" was under attack. Hence, black pride became a prophylactic against being infected from the doctrine of white supremacy and its corollary of black inferiority. Thus, painting "black pride" with the same brush as "white pride" is an apples and oranges type of thing. Yeah...they are both fruits....but that is about it.
I agree with this and will note that as a black American, I am very proud of the resilience of my ancestors and their dedication to bringing about positive change for blacks and all Americans in this nation and my community.

My direct lineage, I have a lot to be proud of in people I have known in my life - my grandparents and great grandparents and 2nd great grandparents, etc. Each generation has gotten better and better and all of the grandparents and great grandparents I knew purposefully raised children in each generation to be better and have more opportunities than they had or their parents. Due to me being a student of local history in particular, I am very proud of our black community. Without them and their work I would never have received an education and I would never be able to have the economic opportunities today that I enjoy. For that, I am a proud black woman.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:00 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
I think one has to be careful about taking this reasoning too far. In Israel the majority of the people are proud of being Jewish and want the country to remain Jewish-majority, if they're denied that right then the country ceases to exist. They're not alone, the same could probably be said of countries like Japan or Vietnam. I think one has to draw a distinction between settled immigration countries like the US or Canada and countries like Vietnam that have emerged that way with indigenous majority. It probably doesn't make sense to talk so much about "pride" in a diverse immigrant nation. But in most other countries, it's not so much pride as expressing a desire to maintain their ethnic homelands.
That is exactly what it is. That is White Nationalism. That is not the same as White supremacy. No one wants to talk about that, they all want to throw out "racist" and "Nazi" if a white person wants to retain their ethnic homelands.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:05 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
I agree overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Celebrating your culture and language is understandable, but I don't understand why someone would celebrate their race.

If you celebrate your race, it implies that you perceive your race to be a unified group or identity. I disagree with that perception.
Well said.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:10 PM

52,232 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That is exactly what it is. That is White Nationalism. That is not the same as White supremacy. No one wants to talk about that, they all want to throw out "racist" and "Nazi" if a white person wants to retain their ethnic homelands.
I agree. If you watch the coverage of the riot they interchanged those terms around. They conflate it to be all of that is racist.

In this country you just can't have white pride, which is essentially what White Nationalism is.

It gets corrupted when the neo Nazi's and white supremacy crowds get involved.

I don't think most people are really able to separate those two ideas from each other, at least in our PC culture and also with our checkered past makes the white pride thing really hard to sell to some people.

I have no dog in the fight, I really couldn't give a crap either way. Like I posted before I don't have any pride in being white. I just happened to be born to white parents.

What accomplishment did I achieve that I should be proud of in this regard?

White guilt along with the SJWs with their virtue signaling and moral preening and also the fact that some people just don't like white people and American culture in general and want to tear it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies