Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 06:29 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,456,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I'd like to see everyone do a DNA test. I guarantee a lot of people would be surprised about their ancestry. Unless you are truly native american, then you originally come from some place other than than the United States.
I was born here, it's where I'm from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 06:35 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
DNA tests can be surprising but...not that surprising. I was certainly ready to find African DNA within me although I had never found proof if it in my research.

Results:
95% British Isles
2% American Indian
the rest trace amounts of Western Europe

And my family came to America between 1611 and 1760. If anything I'm shocked at the homogeneity (my ancestry is primarily from Appalachia and Eastern North Carolina)

But I'd been fine if that test had said say 45% African. I'd also take pride in that too.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:36 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
I don't see anything wrong with being proud of whatever race you are. You can't help whatever your ancestors might of done or didn't do. That doesn't define you as a race or as a person.

Now if you feel the need to go some where and flog yourself on a daily bases then go right ahead

Old 08-15-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Oh no doubt about it! Everybody and everything is equally exceptional. Only a fool would think otherwise.
"All I know is nobody's better than anybody and everybody's the best at everything." - Principal Skinner (with a glazed look in his eyes) of "The Simpsons" after being accused of being politically incorrect regarding boys and girls

Old 08-15-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Having pride in ones culture can be uplifting, motivating and form strong bonds within the group. And imo that is a very positive thing. And it has been in the past for America, unlike all the guilt trips that the Libs and BLM are putting on the rest of us.

And Asians are also very proud of their nationality and their race. And what about the Gay Pride and Black Pride movements? Basically, it's okay to be proud as long as one isn't white. And that makes no sense and isn't fair to whites.

For many decades, I have been an admitted "anglophile" and no one in real life has ever objected to my saying that. I love British culture, I collect many types of British and American antiques. I love watching BBC productions and the English language. And when I visited Hong Kong 30 years ago, I appreciated what the British did for that colony. And even now, the Chinese cities on the mainland cannot match how amazing Hong Kong is. The Brits introduced their engineering techniques and their methods of organization and law to their colonies. India has their rail system because of the Brits. Yes, it would have happened eventually, but it happened much much sooner because of the British colonizing their country.

And yes, there were some downsides to colonization, however many countries were able to modernize much sooner because of it. Australia and Africa were continents where the natives were still living in the Stone Ages until the European influence.

And it's happened in ancient history many times also. As the Romans expanded their empire, they brought with them their building techniques along the way, like in England.

People who think that having pride is a sin are either jealous of what they don't have or brainwashed by religions who were trying to keep the "unwashed masses" from being discontented with their lot in life.
Is it true that Native Americans didn't even have the wheel until it was introduced to them by Europeans?

Old 08-15-2017, 06:47 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Is it true that Native Americans didn't even have the wheel until it was introduced to them by Europeans?
They didn't have the horse, either.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I think there is a point to be made that the narrative behind the pride is what matters.

The black narrative has as its foundations the pride of survival, of overcoming overwhelming odds with blood and sheer will power just for very basic rights. That is something to be proud of. There is pride there, in a shared struggle of absolute disenfranchisement. The difference between "my grandmother was a slave" and "my daughter is a lawyer" is so great that it inspires something to be proud of, collectively.

Contrast that with the "white pride", white nationalist nonsense, and the difference is indeed clear. The same struggle based solely on such a defining character trait as race simply isn't there.

By all means, take pride in your history and family. Just perhaps be a bit aware of the differences.
ITA with this. And I think a lot of the posters don't understand the bold because as white Americans, most of them are unaware of separate struggles their ancestors had to overcome based on ethnicity. Also that those struggles were not as long standing as those of black Americans.

Onthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Races are not homogenous groups.

Visit another country and speak with people who are the same race. You'll probably realise that you're not the same as them. You'll probably learn that you have different cultures, histories, values and experiences. That is why celebrating your race is illogical.
Black people in America don't celebrate our "race." We celebrate our culture, heritage and history. That is what we are "proud" of. Same as you and other whites celebrating your American nationality.

I agree that as a black American I am not the same as a black person in another country. I do not claim to be and I would doubt that most black Americans would claim that we and say, a black Brazillian have some sort of specific bond over being black. We don't. But in America, we black Americans are proud of our collective history and culture in this nation. You and others may view that as a "race" pride, but it is not IMO.

I see it no different versus many of my friends/associates in the genealogy world who are proud of their German ancestors or their Quaker ancestors, or their Irish ancestors, or their Polish ancestors based upon the culture and activities of those communities and their struggles with being immigrants, pioneers, abolitionism, ethnic bias, and refugee status.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:53 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Couldn't agree more. There is nothing special about any particular "race", which basically boils down to different melanin levels in the skin. It's incredibly ridiculous and by no means represents a "culture" or "heritage". Race has neither of those things.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
They didn't have the horse, either.
Must have been a tough life.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:58 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Black people in America don't celebrate our "race." We celebrate our culture, heritage and history. That is what we are "proud" of. Same as you and other whites celebrating your American nationality.

I agree that as a black American I am not the same as a black person in another country. I do not claim to be and I would doubt that most black Americans would claim that we and say, a black Brazillian have some sort of specific bond over being black. We don't. But in America, we black Americans are proud of our collective history and culture in this nation. You and others may view that as a "race" pride, but it is not IMO.

I see it no different versus many of my friends/associates in the genealogy world who are proud of their German ancestors or their Quaker ancestors, or their Irish ancestors, or their Polish ancestors based upon the culture and activities of those communities and their struggles with being immigrants, pioneers, abolitionism, ethnic bias, and refugee status.
I'm not American, but I think you misunderstood my post. I think we agree and I didn't claim that American blacks celebrate their race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies