Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 11:44 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times

Advertisements

Seriously. That goes for blacks, whites, and whoever else.

Your race is not an accomplishment; you did nothing to earn it other than be conceived and plopped out of the vagina of someone of that race. What's there to be proud of? Might as well be proud of having an *******; everyone was born with one of those as well.

"Pride in race" these days is almost always a code for disparagement / segregation of other races.

What you're supposed to be proud of, if you're not an idiot, are actual individual accomplishments - that you worked hard and earned your college degree, raised good kids, paid a kind act forward, created something great, did the right thing when no one was watching and it was hard. And that is open to anyone of any race.

That is how you foster pride that actually builds a society up rather than tears it down.

Last edited by ambient; 08-13-2017 at 11:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 11:54 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

Your race is not an accomplishment; you did nothing to earn it other than be conceived and plopped out of the vagina of someone of that race. What's there to be proud of?

"Pride in race" these days is almost always a code for disparagement / segregation of other races.

What you're supposed to be proud of, if you're not an idiot, are actual individual accomplishments - that you worked hard and earned your college degree, raised good kids, paid a kind act forward, created something great, did the right thing when no one was watching and it was hard. And that is open to anyone of any race.

That is how you foster pride that actually builds a society up rather than tears it down.
Same goes for all groups based on birth - family, tribe, town, nation. People are naturally inclined to feel pride in their group and that's a good thing.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:02 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
I'm only proud of my own accomplishments.

Even there it's not a real strong feeling. Probably because it's reflective and not forward-thinking.

I'm just grateful for everything I have and hope for good things in the future.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:11 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,292 times
Celebrating your culture and language is understandable, but I don't understand why someone would celebrate their race.

If you celebrate your race, it implies that you perceive your race to be a unified group or identity. I disagree with that perception.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:25 AM

31,040 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Same goes for all groups based on birth - family, tribe, town, nation. People are naturally inclined to feel pride in their group and that's a good thing.
Pride is a sin to many people. No surprise when you think your group is better than everyone else. If you think your group is Superior it leads to arrogance. It really sucks when your group/country is really at the bottom of the pile, and you still think you are the best. You are then an Arrogant Fool

Old 08-14-2017, 02:31 AM

31,040 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Celebrating your culture and language is understandable, but I don't understand why someone would celebrate their race.

If you celebrate your race, it implies that you perceive your race to be a unified group or identity. I disagree with that perception.
"Celebrating your culture and language is understandable, but I don't understand why someone would celebrate their race."

Some people need it to feel good about themselves for any reason. The Nazi/Skin head and other similar groups are like that. They like to think they have had some part in making American great. If you are a high School drop out who didn't make anything of your llfe, and you have multiple kids that you don't support, you have had no part in American Exceptionalism.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:57 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
The idea that we are divided into different races based on variances in our skin pigmentation is patently absurd. There is only one race, the human race.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:05 AM

62,949 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post

I celebrate national pride in America and my personal accomplishments. My race and ancestral roots are irrelevant. They just are what they are. I feel neither pride nor shame.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:17 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

Your race is not an accomplishment; you did nothing to earn it other than be conceived and plopped out of the vagina of someone of that race. What's there to be proud of? Might as well be proud of having an *******; everyone was born with one of those as well.

This is true. We've been working hard to tear this one down for decades now. I'd like to be more positive, but I don't see that trend reversing anytime soon.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:20 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,114 times
Well, I'm definitely not proud of being latino, if that means anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies