Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 05:51 AM

72,850 posts, read 62,315,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
The south/confederacy wanted slavery to continue into oblivion. They said it themselves. Their entire economy was built around slavery. This is not an endorsement of the north either. The south literally had slavery on their money like it was a bald eagle or the statue of liberty.
And that Confederate money is one reason I find the Confederate cause to be deplorable. It is in the Articles of Secession. Many, many mentions of how southern states wanted to keep slavery. Many mentions on how they felt secession was necessary in preserving the institution of slavery. We have The Cornerstone Speech.

I thank you so much for posting that picture of Confederate money. Anyone who says that Confederate secession had nothing to do with slavery or tries to downplay the role of slavery, I challenge them to look at that money. I dare said persons to repeat the lie of the Lost Cause of the Confederacy. At this point, people like you and me and showing that said persons are lying.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:53 AM

72,850 posts, read 62,315,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Barack HUSSEIN obama has NEVER denounced "radical Islamic terrorism" and neither has Hillary Clinton. Neither has Obama never denounced the violent BLM protesters in Baltimore and Ferguson.
Neither did former President Bush, but you don't complain about him.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:08 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,895,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The way I see it, mercy was given to the South after the Civil War to keep some people happy. I say traitors need to face punishment. In some ways, it isn't only about the refusal to admit that mistakes were made. It was also about people making excuses. It was about the refusal to punish traitors as traitors should be punished.
Sometimes I think it's difficult to forgive a person if they're not sorry, or do not recognize a mistake, or do not verbalize a sincere apology, or someone that you simply do not trust because of past experiences. Even more challenging when one seems 'proud' of their mistakes, or seeks to justify or rationalize rather than a simple & sincere admission of making a mistake. We're all human & all make mistakes.

Healings of this type are easier when the two become one in the sole objective of healing, they are 'one-minded' in the goal to heal. Sometimes the 'wound' is covered while the immediate healing is taking place, there's a time when uncovering the wound & exposing it to fresh air helps the long term healing.

For a Nation who claims to have opened their ears to the wisdom of the wisest among us, we, as a Country, appear at times to have stopped listening.

Maybe we need to heal our eyes & ears & hearts & hands & minds? This might be more conducive to healing the whole body:

Quote:
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 42 How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
We're only human, we make mistakes, although we can forgive & love, sometimes we might have to work on becoming or being more loveable & more forgivable. I know I do.

Peace.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:16 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,895,376 times
Quote:
The way I see it, mercy was given to the South after the Civil War to keep some people happy. I say traitors need to face punishment. In some ways, it isn't only about the refusal to admit that mistakes were made. It was also about people making excuses. It was about the refusal to punish traitors as traitors should be punished.
I think too about those who are proud of the ancestors who fought in the American Civil War however no one seems so proud about the ancestors' involvement in resisting Civil Rights for all for a century after.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:19 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,209,352 times
Know what you are seeing when you see it....

Old 08-16-2017, 07:31 AM

7,473 posts, read 3,994,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
So how much do you charge for your seances?

LOL..........all you need to do is read history..........

Old 08-16-2017, 07:32 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,099,099 times
I never understood this "heritage" nonsense. What is there to be proud of? Treating blacks like animals, being ignorant, cruel and close minded- what?!

Old 08-16-2017, 07:38 AM

7,473 posts, read 3,994,925 times
Quote:

Exactly. I'm still shocked that Fonda got away with it.............

Old 08-16-2017, 07:39 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,469,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Are you upset about the statues coming down because it is part of your heritage.

Are you racists? If not then why don't you come out against white supremacists etc and defend your heritage.

Same as saying for Muslims to come out against hatred and violence.

The problem is and no one wants to even recognize it....

People in the South, do not have any misguided notion the Civil War was over Slavery. Slaves were not set free until years after the end of the conflicts. If it was all about Slavery, those in bondage would have been free the day Lee & Grant met up. Less than 1% of people in the Southern States, owned slaves.
What the hell were the other 99.4% fighting for?

It was not slavery.
The other 99.4% were fighting, because the federal government was encroaching on 10th amendment issues and taking power for themselves from the States. and only states that held slaves.

Instead of using education to promote the end of Slavery in the states, they chose force and that caused so much resentment, it lasts to this day.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:53 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,444,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The problem is and no one wants to even recognize it....

People in the South, do not have any misguided notion the Civil War was over Slavery. Slaves were not set free until years after the end of the conflicts. If it was all about Slavery, those in bondage would have been free the day Lee & Grant met up. Less than 1% of people in the Southern States, owned slaves.
What the hell were the other 99.4% fighting for?

It was not slavery.
The other 99.4% were fighting, because the federal government was encroaching on 10th amendment issues and taking power for themselves from the States. and only states that held slaves.

Instead of using education to promote the end of Slavery in the states, they chose force and that caused so much resentment, it lasts to this day.

You should read the secession declarations of the treasonous states.

They make VERY clear that slavery was the issue.

But it's completely understandable that confederate apologists and wannabes would go so deeply into denial.

Carry on.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies