Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 07:47 AM

5,101 posts, read 2,047,097 times

Advertisements

I wonder when the statue of Lenin in Seattle will be removed,since Lenin had some support from some bankers like Olof Acshberg make me to ponder some questions. But however, when a big one quake will hit Seattle, is that statue had been retrofitted to resist a 8.5 quake?

Now, when the current South African president Jacob Zuma will pass away, I have some doubts then someone will attempt to do a statue similar to that one who was destroyed.
Statue of naked Zuma erected, quickly destroyed | News24
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 07:49 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Why does that history have to sit on public property - instead of in a museum where it belongs?
We have museums, history books, classes...

My boys are 29, 27 and 20. They moved to the USA when they were 9, 7 and newborn. With their great public education they know so much about the USA history and it helps they are inquisitive and will do more research. They don't need to go look at a statue of Robert E. Lee in Charlottesville.

Ironically these folks talking about history being erased no little about the slave quarters of Thomas Jefferson's mistress that were torn down in 1976 to build washrooms for Bi-Centennial celebrations -- where was that outrage.

They are now in the process of excavating the site and trying to recreate....but this is a perfect example of how misguided the whole notion that taking down one statue will ERASE history.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:50 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Unfortunately, if you ran a poll on this forum on which side you wished had won the Civil War, the South would win.

Sieg Heil, y'all!
Exactly, a large number of CD members are white nationalists and racists. Some of the posts here fall just short of overt white supremacy - short enough to allow the mods to look the other way. With news that Daily Stormer is losing their url and perhaps hosting services, I expect CD to become even more of a goto place for racist scumbags.

I am pretty much done with CD forums. Especially after the violence in Virginia, I want nothing to do with a website like CD that supports white supremacy and bigotry and allows it to flourish.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:51 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
I have no problem taking down statues of those vile Democrats. Replace them with some black Republican Congressman that served after abolition.

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelli...k_history.html

Old 08-14-2017, 07:53 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
I have never thought removing a statute is akin to 'erasing history'. One may remove all of the statutes of Robert E. Lee, yet he will remain in our history.

As for that statue of Lee that the Nazi's are so concerned about. I say, move it out to one of the battlefields. I would suggest Chancellorsville, the scene of perhaps his greatest victory.

I have noted before, and I shall again: the 'glorious' confederacy that so many white men wish to see 'rise again' was not a favorable society to poor whites. There was a true social hierarchy, with the 'gentleman' planters at the top. People like General Lee were certainly in favor of using the poor white man to fight battles, but said soldiers were not invited to Lee's dinner table.

There is a lot more to the history of the Confederacy than can be gleamed by looking at a statue of a man on a horse.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:53 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I wrote in another post about this that the statues should serve as reminders to all of a terrible time in our history where we fought to the death over what we believed in.

The statues should not be viewed as symbols of racism or oppression but they should serve as beacons of how far we have all come from those dark days. They should be symbols of pride for black people and reminders of their ancestors struggles. To the black youth they should be taught to pull up their saggy pants, thumb their nose at the statue because today the sky is the limit for them.
We need to learn from these statues not take them down and erase their lessons.
In other words you want to white wash the issue.

"Saggy pants?" Lets group all the other things you don't like about all minority cultures into this too. It has just as little relevance. BTW, you do know that there are thousands of white boys out there sagging their pants too. How does that fit into this narrative of yours?

It is a simple observation that the sole purpose of these statues is to honor "hero's" of the confederacy and what they stood for. It is not inclusive. It is a statement of dominance. There is NO reason for any town, city, or state to keep them.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-14-2017 at 08:10 AM..

Old 08-14-2017, 07:57 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Unfortunately, if you ran a poll on this forum on which side you wished had won the Civil War, the South would win.

Sieg Heil, y'all!

I remember when we moved to AL and my Mom (who had lived there before ) told me they were still fighting the civil war. I didn't really know what she was talking about until I got there and I was called a Yankee over and over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Why does that history have to sit on public property - instead of in a museum where it belongs?

Answer - it doesn't. A museum is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerantlocal View Post
This idiocy will cause more people who are on the fringe to act out violently. Its history and its not racist. But as the left attacks the right they will respond. There will be more deaths. Don't be surprised when someone who is disturbed shoots up a crowd and kills many. You on the left keep poking people and wonder why they react.
Thanks for the warning. Do you represent white nationalists everywhere?

Old 08-14-2017, 07:57 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
We have museums, history books, classes...

My boys are 29, 27 and 20. They moved to the USA when they were 9, 7 and newborn. With their great public education they know so much about the USA history and it helps they are inquisitive and will do more research. They don't need to go look at a statue of Robert E. Lee in Charlottesville.

Ironically these folks talking about history being erased no little about the slave quarters of Thomas Jefferson's mistress that were torn down in 1976 to build washrooms for Bi-Centennial celebrations -- where was that outrage.

They are now in the process of excavating the site and trying to recreate....but this is a perfect example of how misguided the whole notion that taking down one statue will ERASE history.
On the bold, they also overlook that that "mistress" was a slave who was only 14 years old when she gave birth to her first child by Jefferson. By today's standards he would have been a pedophile. He had her in a windowless room next to his and due to the age and the relationship (he was her master and could command her to do anything he wanted legally) she was obligated to "serve" him in any way he wanted. He was about 30 years older than her....

People never mention this when they speak of him and Sally Hemmings.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:01 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
We don't celebrate traitors (or Nazis) in this country. We died fighting these reprehensible causes. The dredges who insist on celebrating these causes are un-American and deserve our disdain. You can equivocate and deny all day long but it doesn't the fact that traitors and Nazis are the enemies of America. By definition.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:04 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
Default More cities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
That's exactly what it's about. The left can't handle reality or history. They live in a politically correct bubble where things that offend them must simply go away. The slavery era is being completely removed from history books in schools because the truth is too harsh for liberals. It's really pathetic

Sorry buddy but you've got something turned around drastically there.
It's right wing leaning school boards on the local & state levels that have been found to be erasing or minimizing in school text books the issue of slavery & the horrors visited upon slaves under that horrible system of human enslavement.
It doesn't take a light bulb moment to think critically so as to understand that the "left" would not be the ones to minimize what slavery was all about.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies