Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 09:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherwinsRamblings View Post
Whenever these discussions come up, I am reminded of the Triangle Trade from my history where 1/3 of that trade route was African Kings and rulers actively participating in and profiting from the transatlantic slave trade.

Then we can get into the fact that there were actually African American slaveholders in this country.

So, will only whites be held responsible or will we share the blame for ALL who were involved?
Honestly, I find these to be deflections in regards to some Americans not wanting to speak of the impact of slavery on the those who were actually enslaved. They'd rather focus on the enslavers versus the enslaved.

Everyone who is partially educated in America knows that African tribes captured and sold other Africans to Europeans. Europeans then brought them to the Americas. Most actually went to the Caribbean and S. America and not to N. America.

Anyone who went to college, I'd think would know that there were black slaveholders. Ironically, it was the work of a black man Dr. Carter G. Woodson (considered by many to be "the father of black history"), who wrote one of the first texts on black slave owners. So the idea that this is not known or denied is odd to me.

I think too many people try to politicize history and blame others. As I stated earlier and even other posters stated, slavery really was not by itself so detrimental to black Americans. The main reason that the demographic suffered like did was due to overt racial oppression after the war. If that had not happened - whereas blacks were denied educational and economic opportunities nationwide in this country (not just in the south) then the demographic would be better off today. So it was not slavery, it was treatment post Re-Construction.

I think too often people want to focus only on slavery. All types of people have been enslaved throughout history and all people on all peopled continents have had slavery. However, not all nations in the modern era refused to recognize the civil rights of former slaves and then expected them to not be effected by that treatment.

I'm reminded in these discussions about black migrants to Canada in the 1830s-1860s. Some of my free black ancestors moved to Canada before the Civil War. There was a book published in Canada about the black population there in the 1840s where blacks were interviewed. One that I remember stated about Canada versus the US at the time:

Quote:
In regard to Canada, I like the country, the soil, as well as any country I ever saw. I like the laws, which leave a man as much freedom as a man can have, — still there is prejudice here. The colored people are trying to remove this by improving and educating themselves, and by industry, to show that they are a people who have minds, and that all they want is cultivating.
In Canada whites could not victimize blacks and get away with it. The law protected everyone and unfortunately this was not the case in America even after the Civil War through the modern era. I do feel that if that had happened in America post Civil War, our country would not be so divided on racial issues today. The communities in Canada of black settlers were allowed to educate themselves and raise themselves up economically without being attacked and pillaged, then having the government ignore the attacks. Ironically in the community my ancestors lived in, the "colored" people set up a school for their children that turned out to be a much higher quality than the "white" school that white parents sent their children to the "colored" school to be educated. When violence and legal manuevering aren't used to keep people in a particular "place" they will thrive as all humans will. I always wonder what "could have been" in the US if after the war, people did like Robert E. Lee wrote and spoke about in regards to not glorifying the "lost cause" and to honor the dead and their memory but to move on as one nation and learn from the mistakes that caused the war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 10:08 AM

330 posts, read 177,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
"...Some white Americans like to dismiss slavery and past injustices against blacks as something of the distant past and therefore they should move on. Contrary to this, white supremacists don't seem like they want to move on from the Confederacy era. They also use the excuse that because slavery happened before they were born they are not responsible for the problems that blacks experience today.

The problem with whites denying responsibility for the sins of their fathers is if they use the same tools their ancestors used (hatred, superiority, racism, and racial discrimination) including the symbolism (historical statues and flags) to antagonize black people, then they are perpetuating the same evil their ancestors did. And because they do this they cannot absolve themselves from not been responsible."

www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/8/14/1689382/-The-Historic-City-of-Charlottesville-Erupts-in-Violence-Because-of-a-Historical-Relic
Memo to All

I stand absolved. However,

if you want to hold someone today responsible, follow the chain all the way back to the initial ens-lave-ment and blame the ones who did the initial ens-lave-men-t . Hint: It happened in Africa. Think of it as the Original Sin.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:14 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,607 times
Do the Africans that sold and kept other African slaves have to be held responsible too?

What about the Japanese who were in internment camps? Who's responsible for those peoples' issues today? (oh thats right they dont have any)

What about Jews and the Holocaust? who's responsible for those families issues (oh thats right they dont have any)

</lesson over>

Old 08-17-2017, 10:26 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The article says that white supremacists now have responsibility for the slavery hangover.

The problem is that anyone who disagrees with BLM or Antifa in the slightest is now deemed a white supremacist.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:12 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
The problem is that anyone who disagrees with BLM or Antifa in the slightest is now deemed a white supremacist.
No, only people who make apologies or defend white supremacists or who believe that whites are superior to all other humans are deemed to be a white supremacist.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:20 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
How much responsibility to black folks in Africa hold? Since it was their ancestors who rounded up people they considered undesirable to sell to the slavers. The Americans couldn't have done this without a lot of African help.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:38 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
After her story was brought to life after the 50th anniversary there was a fundraising campaign for her. She received quite a few donations. Last I heard some wealthy people had taken care of her medical needs at that time. You reminded me of this with the post.

There is no go fund me for her I don't believe at the moment.

But will also note that oftentimes various wealthy people in the black community along with Americans at large step up and take care of these survivors.

Many are unaware that Harry Belafonte financially supporter MLK's widow and children after he was assassinated. They do not always let these things be known.

Recently the founder of Little Ceasar's - surname Illich, can't remember his first name, pizza passed away (within the past year). He was a white American but he significantly helped Rosa Parks secure a new residence after her home was robbed and she was beaten in the 1990s. I remember when that occurred and knew she had moved, but didn't know that he had paid her moving expenses and rent until after he passed away. Oftentimes these survivors are assisted by anonymous donors.

thanks for the "update"

Old 08-17-2017, 01:46 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
My ggg Grandfather on my Father's side fought for the Union Army in the Civil War. Does that give me any absolution ? My Mother's side all immigrated to the US from England after WW II. I think I'm in the clear. Phew.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:08 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
I think the larger point is being missed.

Anyone who has fed into the perpetuation of institutional racism is accountable. Today. Right now.

As residinghere mentioned upthread, it's not so much slavery (we all know slavery is wrong and we all know people from all races have been slaves somewhere at some time)... it's the way that black people in the USA have been treated AFTER slavery ended and up until the present day that is the actual problem.

And, yes... anyone complicit in it is accountable. The majority of those people just happen to be white, what with the US being mostly white.

Why's this so confusing?

If you're not a racist, prejudiced, actively keeping down black people... why would you be offended by this article?

Old 08-17-2017, 04:40 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think the larger point is being missed.

Anyone who has fed into the perpetuation of institutional racism is accountable. Today. Right now.

As residinghere mentioned upthread, it's not so much slavery (we all know slavery is wrong and we all know people from all races have been slaves somewhere at some time)... it's the way that black people in the USA have been treated AFTER slavery ended and up until the present day that is the actual problem.

And, yes... anyone complicit in it is accountable. The majority of those people just happen to be white, what with the US being mostly white.

Why's this so confusing?

If you're not a racist, prejudiced, actively keeping down black people... why would you be offended by this article?
According to the bolded, you're laying blame precisely where it belong - at the feet of the party which not only feeds into, but has built a platform on institutional racism. That would be the Democrats. Maybe Soros or Hillary can write a check.

As to why this thread is offensive, the vast (overwhelmingly vast) majority of people don't indulge in racism. However, the implication in this thread is that modern day whites owe something to modern day blacks for something that happened between 50 and 200 years ago. Would you be offended if you were taken to civil court for something your great grandfather did? I'm willing to bet you would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies