Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 03:37 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
"I can not be held responsible for the actions of my ancestors any more than I can take credit for their achievements".

Paraphrase of a quote of Thomas Sowell
Thank you!

A major reason to dump arguments like this one, and chest-thumping patriotism about Founding Fathers and the like into the same garbage pail, and get on with life together in the present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 03:41 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
What garbage!

Old 08-15-2017, 03:47 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
My ancestors were all born in Pennsylvania or Europe.
I was born in PA.
I accept absolutely NO responsibility for slavery.
I do not, IMO, owe Negroes one thin dime for "reparations".
In fact, if they want such payments, I believe they should go to the people who sold their ancestors into slavery: The leaders of the winning tribes in Africa who sold the losers to the slave ships!
Bam!

My ancestors came over from England before the American Revolution. James Otis ("The Patriot") is one, as is Samuel Allyne Otis (who held the Bible for George Washington at his inauguration), and Mercy Otis Warren, and anti-Federalist. There are many others as well.

I take no responsibility for slavery, nor should I or any other white person living today. It was not something that America did ...slavery was common in the world (and still is today), and it was the Muslims who ran the Atlantic Slave Trade.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:04 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
"...Some white Americans like to dismiss slavery and past injustices against blacks as something of the distant past and therefore they should move on. Contrary to this, white supremacists don't seem like they want to move on from the Confederacy era. They also use the excuse that because slavery happened before they were born they are not responsible for the problems that blacks experience today.

The problem with whites denying responsibility for the sins of their fathers is if they use the same tools their ancestors used (hatred, superiority, racism, and racial discrimination) including the symbolism (historical statues and flags) to antagonize black people, then they are perpetuating the same evil their ancestors did. And because they do this they cannot absolve themselves from not been responsible."

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017...storical-Relic
This is what happens when you have big government along with the disregard for the rights of the individual. We still have many people with that horrible, failed thought process.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:07 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I'm waiting for the next thread in this series which will be that Christians still have responsibility for anti-Semitism.

It will be doozie compared to this lovefest.
You think it's as silly as the one where YOU still have responsibility for some mythological personage eating a piece of fruit in a mythological garden eons ago?

Old 08-15-2017, 05:02 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
I HAVENT MOVED ON!!!! GRRRR. 160 years is nothing. Im still angry for 1300 years.
Im still angry at my Norse Ancestors for raping, pillaging and enslaving my English ancestors.

False logic on the original story.

All whites are responsible for inbred hillbillies being members of Stormfront.

I have zero problem with a special chosen black dude starting the death penalty of that POS that ran his car into the crowd.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:15 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
The media is pushing Slavery now as a way to further divide us. Why is all of this an issue now? Democrats, and their media are using it as a tool. They can't win elections, and they are desperate.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:16 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The article says that white supremacists now have responsibility for the slavery hangover.

It's also a badly written guilt piece trying to get free money for blacks who in reality don't care about slavery but do care about all the free money they can get.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:01 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
IIRC, one of the reasons some people want reparations is because slaves could not own property. The premise is we are what we are today due to wealth being built up by a family over generations due to the ability of some to own property and being able to learn to read and write.

I am not responsible for slavery. I was responsible for the black and white water fountains my children drank from at Weingarten's grocery store. And I spoke to the manager.

I am responsible for the rules and traditions in most public education hiring that puts the newest teachers in the lowest performing schools. And I frequently spoke to the superintendent and school trustees about it many times. My teacher relatives all say that it takes 3-5 years to get really good in a classroom.

I was responsible for bank laws that let banks take all kinds of money out of a minority community but make no loans in that community. The banks either offer all services in all their locations or they can move. Please notice, I did not say make loans to people who cannot pay them back.

I was responsible for the steering that the real estate agents did for years before the fair housing laws stopped it.

I once had a contract to sell a house. The buyer then discovered minorities lived behind me. He waited, hoping the inspections would give him an out. That didn't happen. He knocked on the door and said he had changed his mind, would we let him out of the contract? We did. But we kept his 10,000 dollars earnest money.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:09 AM

88,999 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
IIRC, one of the reasons some people want reparations is because slaves could not own property. The premise is we are what we are today due to wealth being built up by a family over generations due to the ability of some to own property and being able to learn to read and write.

I am not responsible for slavery. I was responsible for the black and white water fountains my children drank from at Weingarten's grocery store. And I spoke to the manager.

I am responsible for the rules and traditions in most public education hiring that puts the newest teachers in the lowest performing schools. And I frequently spoke to the superintendent and school trustees about it many times. My teacher relatives all say that it takes 3-5 years to get really good in a classroom.

I was responsible for bank laws that let banks take all kinds of money out of a minority community but make no loans in that community. The banks either offer all services in all their locations or they can move. Please notice, I did not say make loans to people who cannot pay them back.

I was responsible for the steering that the real estate agents did for years before the fair housing laws stopped it.

I once had a contract to sell a house. The buyer then discovered minorities lived behind me. He waited, hoping the inspections would give him an out. That didn't happen. He knocked on the door and said he had changed his mind, would we let him out of the contract? We did. But we kept his 10,000 dollars earnest money.
He got what he deserved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies