Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 11:30 PM

36,857 posts, read 17,259,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
The Berkeley restaurant in question that had employed that white nationalist guy is Top Dog, which has some of the best hot dogs in town. It's not a stereotypical lefty place - in fact, the owners of Top Dog are known for their quirky libertarian politics - they have slogans and stickers such as I.R.S = It Really Steals.

Anyway, as others have noted - California is a at-will employment state. The hot dog stand thought they didn't want to be associated with a white supremacist as it may reflect on their image. Even libertarians have standards at times.
Libertarians believe in the freedom to associate with whoever you want.

That's an admirable standard if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 06:25 AM

5,768 posts, read 3,201,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Corporations are people, too...
On planet Republican maybe. Corporations are organizations created on paper for the enrichment of their stockholders while limiting the legal liability of the individuals to the value of the assets of that corporation.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:29 AM

18,579 posts, read 10,537,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
How can anyone have a peaceful rally with antifa and BLM crashing in?

...............or the KKK, Neo Nazis etc!!!

Old 08-15-2017, 06:31 AM

28,883 posts, read 30,132,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I don't condone any of the utter nonsense and stupidity that went down on both sides of that event. But one thing that has come out is all of the public outing of "racists" on twitter where people are posting pictures and identifying people in the crowd. One guy has already lost his job just because there were photos of him at the rally (fired by a restaurant in Berkeley surprise surprise). I don't personally agree with much of the politics of either side, but this is still the United States of America right? Doesn't everyone in this country have the right to gather under the First Amendment regardless of how offensive their views might be to anyone else?

This is just one example of the slippery slope this entire country is heading down on both sides toward civil war. And every day this stuff weakens us it only makes North Korea stronger, ISIS stronger and everyone that wants to destroy the American way of life because we're all doing it for them.
AMEN, and certain individuals have used this whole issue to push their own agendas....keeping hate and racism alive....dividing this country on purpose. Stating that the President should have come out and spoken up against this atrocity....well he did and I saw him do so with my own eyes. So, after that was said, and proved, now they come out with, "well he should have said it this way or that????" It is very evident what their motive is....they want to continue open borders, so that they can hire, people for cheaper wages and cheaper benefits, but keep raping the people of this country of their jobs, and the quality of products.

They are against Trump shutting down the borders in the name of racism and against bring work back to this country for the American people. They want diversity for this reason only, they want a world wide control, a world wide one culture under they're power. And that is why Trump is constantly attacked by the media.

Now they're putting words in his mouth....and yet, those whose candidate lost, are grasping at every anti-Trump lie, b/c they want to believe he is an awful person....

So, they continue to allow the powers that be, to divide this nation.

Any person in their right mind would go against the KKK or any other affiliation of the like.

Yanno, I believe most American's forget, one main important part of history....while the powers that be, continually use these atrocities to push their agendas, so so so many people are forgetting what most American's lost their lives over, fighting in the civil war. Over 600,000 men lost their lives b/c they thought they were fighting to abolish slavery. Oh yes, indeed, you better believe there was a much larger political agenda, even back then....but most men thought they were fighting against it...They were fighting for a cause, to either keep slavery or to free those who were it's victims....

So when you say Black Lives Matter, there are lots of Americans out there who in fact, would fight for the equal rights of men...regardless, but....there are and always should be laws and rules to follow. Without them man is ruined.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:32 AM

15,711 posts, read 7,518,628 times
Quote:
I don't condone any of the utter nonsense and stupidity that went down on both sides of that event. But one thing that has come out is all of the public outing of "racists" on twitter where people are posting pictures and identifying people in the crowd. One guy has already lost his job just because there were photos of him at the rally (fired by a restaurant in Berkeley surprise surprise). I don't personally agree with much of the politics of either side, but this is still the United States of America right? Doesn't everyone in this country have the right to gather under the First Amendment regardless of how offensive their views might be to anyone else?

This is just one example of the slippery slope this entire country is heading down on both sides toward civil war. And every day this stuff weakens us it only makes North Korea stronger, ISIS stronger and everyone that wants to destroy the American way of life because we're all doing it for them.
Quote:
we're all doing it for them
That should have been thought about before public education decided to (brainwash) teach two different versions in the history of the civil war ...

Old 08-15-2017, 06:36 AM

18,579 posts, read 10,537,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
BLM have murdered many people in cold blood. Sure one guy crashed his car into counter-protesters but it was in a heated situation.

I feel sorry for you, you're a sad ,sad person.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:46 AM

28,883 posts, read 30,132,067 times
and what if, anti-protesters were there, fighting for the rights of equality? Against white supremists, but b/c they were there they are fired.

This country has a constitution, and has been governed by it up until now. It's our job to educate our children and make sure they know that anything that goes against the right of any man, no matter his color, are not on the side of equality and justice for all. You cannot twist and turn words, to fit your own agendas, b/c that is a very dangerous game your playing....you can't take down important artifacts of history, b/c they insult you....they are there for a reason, if anything to remind you of why people lost their lives fighting against those men, for freedom. If you start taking down everything that offends you, your opening doors to chaos....corruption and slavery of men.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:49 AM

5,768 posts, read 3,201,819 times
Quote:

This vicious outing of these racists with economic consequences is similar to the disenfranchisement of people in Germany and Italy before WW 2 because their beliefs were considered offensive. Two wrongs don't make a right.

These Nazis and Klansmen are dangerous to begin with, and some of you want to give them nothing to lose? Think about this.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:51 AM

36,924 posts, read 18,885,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
On planet Republican maybe. Corporations are organizations created on paper for the enrichment of their stockholders while limiting the legal liability of the individuals to the value of the assets of that corporation.
Corporations were found to have the same rights as people for the purpose of ditributing campaign contributions.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-court/396773/

Old 08-15-2017, 06:51 AM

10,076 posts, read 5,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yes, everyone has the right gather. These people gathered. Their rights were not violated. But if their viewpoints and their causes are repugnant to the businesses that they work for, the business can decide not to employ them. Free speech is here, you can say what you want without fear of going to jail or being shot by your government. But it has consequences. Free speech does not mean you don't suffer the consequences. Could be from friends, employers, your church, etc.

Honestly, white supremacy is not something I support. I think it's horrible. White supremacy is not a political viewpoint. It's believing you are better than any other "race" and wanting to put down other people because of their DNA. What normal/sane business wants an employee like that?
I don't see it that way. Free speech with consequence er "punishment" is not free speech. I should be able to freely express my opinion without the fear of fallout. That kind of fear silences one side of the debate where the other side gains more power.

All you are saying is yes, we get to enjoy free speech without SEVERE consequences. But it's no different than saying I have the freedom to go rob a bank. I just have to accept the consequences of my actions. If people are going to lose their job because they show up peacefully at a rally then what if I lose my job because my employer sees me at a Christian rally and is an atheist business owner? That's the slippery slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies