Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 09:57 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Kathy Griffin is/was a public figure. Most protestors are not. Imagine Leo DeCaprio's marketability (or Tucker Carlson for that matter) if he was photographed marching in the Protest.

My .02cents is as long as it does not hurt the company it should not matter.
And it's those companies' calls to make.

There are legitimate reasons to let go of an open white supremacist that have little to do with brand image.

A big one for me is that I could never trust this person's work after learning this. How can you trust that they would work fully and fairly with a non-white person in their job (something they will have to do)?

I could not. Teamwork and working well with others is imperative to petty much any job these days. This person would be a major liability. And I would feel totally justified then in letting that person go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 11:00 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Corporations were found to have the same rights as people for the purpose of ditributing campaign contributions.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-court/396773/
The people (those who are born and die) all lost a little something when Citizens United was decided by the Supreme Court. The right wing will have you believe that the unions have as large a voice as the corporations and their lobbying groups, but the war on private sector unions has been successful. When Obama became President, America's right wing billionaires got together and decided to get heavily involved in politics. What were once considered radical right wing views are gaining acceptance thanks to the Koch brothers and their media outlets.

Examples of right wing propaganda:
--- Public unions are bankrupting the states that they are in.
--- Vaccines cause autism
--- Social Security is a ponzi scheme
--- The Federal Reserve is a source of all of our problems.
--- Public education is a waste of money

The truth
--- Public unions are the last vestige of a once powerful union movement giving employees a voice
--- Vaccines prevent Polio. Conservatives have just enough knowledge to be dangerous.
--- We have been paying into Social Security over our life times and it is a government obligation.
--- All countries have a banking system. The billionaires just want less regulation by weakening the system
--- Public education gives the gift of knowledge to those willing to learn. The billionaires want us as dumb and as gullible as possible.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:02 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
No employer wants an employee at any rally. It's a bad image for the company thus will result in an employee getting canned. This is why unions are important which protects employees on and off the job regardless of affiliation, speech or right to organize.

Why do you guys thing majority of folks who attend rally are unemployed. This is the reason why I never go to rally while being employed. If management catches you at a rally even during off or non work hours. Boss will fire you. This is why when I went to occupy wall Street, I wore a mask. If I was visible with my face. And my employer saw me. I'd be fired.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:07 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
This is similar to the Fifties when you had people being identified as Communists on the flimsiest of evidence and suffering loss of jobs, etc. When people who had been communists far in the past were fingered, or when someone with communist views but not a Communist was similarly branded and suffered.
I went back a bit further with my example, but yours is better.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:14 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
This is similar to the Fifties when you had people being identified as Communists on the flimsiest of evidence and suffering loss of jobs, etc. When people who had been communists far in the past were fingered, or when someone with communist views but not a Communist was similarly branded and suffered.
Being captured on video marching around with a Nazi flag is not exactly flimsy evidence. If you want to act like a racist scumbag, you can expect to be treated like one.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:15 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Being captured on video marching around with a Nazi flag is not exactly flimsy evidence. If you want to act like a racist scumbag, you can expect to be treated like one.
Yeah...I was thinking the same thing here. These guys are incriminating themselves. They're welcome to their speech, but they shouldn't be surprised when society recoils at them and their speech. We're under no obligation to accept it.

Nor is an employer obligated to give these people jobs.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:25 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
No one has to say it. It's allowed because EEOC, AA and disparate impact and discrimination or victim claims are only really honored if the person is black or non-white and almost never for a white person.
Fun fact:
The greatest beneficiaries of those policies in this country are...white women.

As for the OP, "should people be fired...?
If their presence would cause disruption, bring negative attention to their workplace or otherwise tarnish the reputation of their employer, absolutely, they should.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
You are creating extreme hypotheticals. I'm talking about viewpoints and embarrassing behavior or speech that was recognized as being personal and private life.
You seem to believe that the blurring of private and "office" life is a new phenomenon.

It is not.

Many companies "back in the day" had morals clauses that impacted how/what employees did in their private lives.
Many still do.

Is Behavior Outside the Workplace Grounds for Termination? | Chron.com

What Is a 'Morality Clause'? Is It Legal? - Law and Daily Life

https://www.daveramsey.com/askdave/s...the-moral-code

Old 08-15-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
BLM have murdered many people in cold blood. Sure one guy crashed his car into counter-protesters but it was in a heated situation.
The organization "Black Lives Matter "have murdered many people in cold blood?"

Prove it.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
So I guess you fully support Kathy Griffin being fired for her stunt? Course the left will say she was a victim.
Insofar as it created negative impact for her employer, absolutely, she should have been fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies