Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 02:42 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,818,755 times

Advertisements

I don't condone any of the utter nonsense and stupidity that went down on both sides of that event. But one thing that has come out is all of the public outing of "racists" on twitter where people are posting pictures and identifying people in the crowd. One guy has already lost his job just because there were photos of him at the rally (fired by a restaurant in Berkeley surprise surprise). I don't personally agree with much of the politics of either side, but this is still the United States of America right? Doesn't everyone in this country have the right to gather under the First Amendment regardless of how offensive their views might be to anyone else?

This is just one example of the slippery slope this entire country is heading down on both sides toward civil war. And every day this stuff weakens us it only makes North Korea stronger, ISIS stronger and everyone that wants to destroy the American way of life because we're all doing it for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 02:45 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times
Sure, as long as I can fire the kids wearing Che shirts or carrying communist flags. Last thing I want is former commies meddling in our election.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:46 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
You don't have a right to a job, so its up to the employer.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:47 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
I would think it depends on their jobs are or what company they work for. Some companies do not want their employees seen on the evening news in the middle of a riot. Might not reflect the culture the company promotes.

Or they maybe they want non-political or non-activist types for employees.

If a company thinks an employee will hurt their business, image, or cause problems, they're probably inclined to let them go.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:48 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Yes, everyone has the right gather. These people gathered. Their rights were not violated. But if their viewpoints and their causes are repugnant to the businesses that they work for, the business can decide not to employ them. Free speech is here, you can say what you want without fear of going to jail or being shot by your government. But it has consequences. Free speech does not mean you don't suffer the consequences. Could be from friends, employers, your church, etc.

Honestly, white supremacy is not something I support. I think it's horrible. White supremacy is not a political viewpoint. It's believing you are better than any other "race" and wanting to put down other people because of their DNA. What normal/sane business wants an employee like that?

Old 08-14-2017, 02:50 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,217 times
That's up to their employer, who has every right to dismiss them.

I'm pretty sure 99.9% of businesses don't want to be associated with known white nationalists.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:51 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I don't condone any of the utter nonsense and stupidity that went down on both sides of that event. But one thing that has come out is all of the public outing of "racists" on twitter where people are posting pictures and identifying people in the crowd. One guy has already lost his job just because there were photos of him at the rally (fired by a restaurant in Berkeley surprise surprise). I don't personally agree with much of the politics of either side, but this is still the United States of America right? Doesn't everyone in this country have the right to gather under the First Amendment regardless of how offensive their views might be to anyone else?

This is just one example of the slippery slope this entire country is heading down on both sides toward civil war. And every day this stuff weakens us it only makes North Korea stronger, ISIS stronger and everyone that wants to destroy the American way of life because we're all doing it for them.
Sure they have the right to gather and to their speech. But unless the employer is the government, they don't have to keep you as an employee if it violates their code of conduct, reflects poorly on their business, or affects their ability to do business.

By the way, the first amendment is about government interference, just fyi. Companies are not the government, and most first amendment protections don't extend to employment.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yes, everyone has the right gather. These people gathered. Their rights were not violated. But if their viewpoints and their causes are repugnant to the businesses that they work for, the business can decide not to employ them. Free speech is here, you can say what you want without fear of going to jail or being shot by your government. But it has consequences. Free speech does not mean you don't suffer the consequences. Could be from friends, employers, your church, etc.

Honestly, white supremacy is not something I support. I think it's horrible. White supremacy is not a political viewpoint. It's believing you are better than any other "race" and wanting to put down other people because of their DNA. What normal/sane business wants an employee like that?
But the event wasn't a "white supremacist" or "racist" event. Yes, it attracted certain groups that have those viewpoints but that's not what the event was. But anything that the left doesn't like now is labeled racist (unless of course it's BLM, Occupy or whatever). How are you or any business owner going to determine what a person's political or personal views are just because their is a picture of them at the gathering. How can you even tell what side they are on? The guy that got fired wasn't dressed in Nazi regalia.

So I guess we get to a point where your political, personal and religious views should be part of your job application. Maybe you should take a polygraph test before getting a job offer so people can make sure you're not secretly racist in your heart.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Sure they have the right to gather and to their speech. But unless the employer is the government, they don't have to keep you as an employee if it violates their code of conduct, reflects poorly on their business, or affects their ability to do business.

By the way, the first amendment is about government interference, just fyi. Companies are not the government, and most first amendment protections don't extend to employment.
How does someone attending an event on their free time when they are not on the clock and not representing the company they work for reflect poorly on the business or affect their ability to do business? There is a powerful and influential segment of this country that will not rest until we have no more individual freedoms or rights left and it seems like many people are just fine with going along with that. That is what happened in Nazi Germany so people that support that way of thinking are more inline with Nazi ideology and racist ideology in general.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:58 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,805,770 times
So I will ask this same question here. Again I abhor the WS message.

What would you say if a Christian employer who was contacted by a stranger on the internet with pictures of an employee at a Pro Choice rally and that employer fired the employee? Perhaps it was a church employee that was flashed across the internet and media in pics/video at the rally with a sign with a disgusting message. Would it be justified? Or is that different in your POV and not justified? Is the firing or outing of these Unite the Right guys justified only because of the abhorrent message?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies